[PvE] Enhancement: Too many abilities?

I dusted off an old Shaman alt, just so I can collect the LFR and Heroic color of the tier set. I went with Enh since I prefer playing melee, but that might have been a mistake?

I know Ret is pretty simple, but is Enh too “busy”?

1 Like

Nope it feels just fine, if I had to change anything at all it would be making Lashing Flames spreadable more easily in large scale AOE but that’s a minor gripe solvable with some Plater mods if I would just quit bein lazy with the addon.

4 Likes

Just to warn you this is a hot button issue with the Shaman community. Many seem to only play the spec because it has so many buttons, and get very hostile to even the suggestion that it has to many buttons.

I play it despite the number of buttons. I tend to run a lot of cast sequence macros while also not running the meta and being honest with the group I’m running with.

5 Likes

Personally, no.

I think every game with a multitude of classes should have a multitude of playstyles and in turn, difficulty.

Not every class is for everyone, and the business and flow of Enhancement is, imo of course, fantastic to play.

5 Likes

Different strokes for different folks. I look at rogue specs and can’t wrap my head around it with it feeling like theres 80 binds I need to play properly but looking at enhance it clicked with me super early. I use an MMO mouse so my opinion might be skewed but I think it has a good amount of meaningful buttons to press. This is talking from playing the Elementalist build.

2 Likes

Spot on. Classes should do damage differently and not be homogenized.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say that enhance has too many abilities (although it is night and day compared to paladin). It does take some practice, but once you understand the interaction between the various abilities it flows very well.

My only complaint about the enhancement rotation is the ramp up time in aoe. While some classes are blasting off on their first gcd, enhance isn’t hitting more than 1 target until gcd 5. It can get tedious on stuff that dies fast. Sometimes you have to make a judgement if setting up aoe is even worth it as opposed to just hitting crash lightning and doing a single target rotation.

1 Like

It’s always the green parsers who talk about how it’s fine.

2 Likes

It’s always people posting on alts that have no parses that post about other people’s parses. What issues do you think it has then?

2 Likes

EVERY class has too many buttons. I come home to play a mmorpg and relax, not so I can get excited about my rotation. Ideally, I don’t want to press ANY buttons, except the movement keys. (and you could do that in everquest 1, tanks could hold aggro just through proximity and auto attacks). If I wanted to feel an adrenaline rush and play a game where I “press a lot of buttons” I would have chosen a first person shooter. But I chose an MMORPG so I could chat with friends and relax.

And yes, the above poster has a point: it’s always those who scream for more buttons who die in the fire in LFR or +2 keys.

Don’t think anybody is screaming for more buttons.

I think the elementalist build is the best enhance has felt in the time i’ve played it. I wouldn’t at all mind having sundering back as an available extra button, either. Like someone else said, it flows fantastically once you understand it.

-non-green parser

1 Like

I mean the truth is - the devs could cater to both sides on this.

ie. Choice nodes.

Put some of the absolute bloat on choice nodes with a passive option. The passive option could (and should) sim at effectively lower dps. Maybe 2-3% dps loss per choice. Then the folks that want an easier rotation, but want to play Enhance could. And the folks that want to mash 13 abilities randomly can still do that - and if they do it perfectly, they’re rewarded with extra damage as a result of their increased effort. When in actual play the passive options are ahead in effectiveness, despite their lower potential, maybe people will swap - maybe they won’t.

I definitely feel “shut off” from one of my all-time favorite specs because of how ridiculous the rotation is. I could play ret for hours…but after one dungeon as enhance, my wrists, my thumbs, everything just starts to cramp. And yeah, I’m getting old, but not that old.

2 Likes

This is one that gets me. A three button class with nearly tank levels of survivability that can top dps on single target or aoe. I don’t see how the devs can consider that balanced. I find enhancement more fun to play than ret, but anybody who feels they are anywhere close to balanced is a paladin main.

I just mean without my hands/wrists hurting.

I knew what you meant- it just sent me off on a tangent. I apologize if it seemed like I was putting words in your mouth or taking your statement out of hand.

The lack of balance in this game is so extreme it almost feels intentional. Sorry for roping you into my rant.

You’re good homie

Yea, Enh has good bit of skills that need to be pressed but it’s still better than rogue or unholy in my book.

1 Like

During Dragonflight S2, I felt my lower jaw drop when overlapping feral spirit, what an incredible force of nature

1 Like