PTR: Hissing Chitterspine

ETA: Looks like they’re found in the Chitterspine Grotto, huzzah! Not sure how their spawn will work, but at least we know where they are now. :smiley:

Hey, everyone! I was wondering if anyone else on the PTR has come across the Hissing Chitterspines? I see the Chitterspine Skitterlings, and checking those battles to see if the Hissing comes up as secondary has yielded no success. I even had one fight with three Skitterlings, heh.

My working theory, so far, is that they’ll probably spawn in the Chitterspine Grotto, the cave behind the Shadowspike Lurker. That said, the cave is full of elite crabs, and roving bands of non-elite (but still painstaking to kill) crabs. The few battles I’ve been able to engage in haven’t yielded a Hissing variety. The cave’s ‘box’ is weird, and you can’t walk through most of it, which also impedes pet battles.

So, I figured that maybe it shared a spawn point with the Skitterlings like those (expletive) eagles in, I think it was Azsuna? The ones you had to battle three times for one of the Falcosaur quests? However, now no pet battle crabs are spawning in the cave.

Anywho, that’s my guess right now. However, if you’ve seen/battled one and I’m totally wrong about the location/spawn, would you kindly pass the information along? Someone I know only needs that one pet to complete the achievement, (They want to test the Kelpfin pet from the meta), and it would be much appreciated.

1 Like

I saw a single spawn, took right pathway to where all the shallow pools are. Good luck trying not to die in their let alone engaging in a pet battle lol.

Grotto feels horribly glitchy. Submitted a bug report, as it doesn’t really feel all that intended. IMO anyone that encounters that area and finds invisible walls blocking what would normally appear as a standard path should also report.

I made a report the first time, too. Might need to level my rogue so I can ninja through the area if they leave all the mobs that elite and dense in there…

I’m on live and I got this yesterday. Took a while. I ran as far into the cave as possible. You will die a few times. A SS helped one time to not have to run back.imsaw one spawn, but got attacked and it went away. There was a lot of sneaking around, killing big packs and just waiting for my SS to be up again. I finally found one pretty far into the cave. You will need patience for it but you will eventually get it.

1 Like

Went in last night, going for the rare, and a Hissing Chitterspine showed up on my mini-map. Got as close as I could Camouflage, Turtle, Cheetah, then I died (those crabs are horrible). I ran back and rez’d and was in the middle of a small pond of water, I found that the crabs will stop at the waters edge and cant hit you, but you have to move from the water to battle. Be warned, that some of the crabs broke my stealth, especially the big elite ones.

Got close enough to hit battle, unfortunately my first pet killed the Hissing Chitterspine :frowning: I then hit camouflage an searched the mini-map for another one and found him down below near the rare elite that spawns in the cave. I died when I got down there, but ran back in time to rez and find one close by where I was (be careful if you are near the rare, if you even go close to the edge of the water you will aggro him). There was an elite near where I needed to battle so I dismissed my pets freeze trapped him then tamed him, problem solved (the joys of being a hunter)! I then battle the Hissing and it was a Common quality, that’s ok, I can always stone him since it seems he only comes in breed P/P.

I was waiting to see if others would come to kill the Elite, since he has a chance to drop a pet. While waiting another Hissing spawned near me he was Uncommon quality so I tamed him as well (then deleted the Common). I could have soloed the Rare but it is courteous to wait for others to show up. Someone showed up and we two teamed the Rare and sure enough, he dropped the pet for me! So I guess 10 deaths and 400g in repairs to get a Hissing Chitterspine was worth it :slight_smile:

Hissing Chitterspine also comes in P/S breed; I have one of each.
However if I had to choose I’d pick the P/P breed.

Grats on your difficult catch. I caught mine on an ilevel 400 Pally tank which, compared to most of my other toons, is playing on easy mode.