PSA: Flagging is NOT the replacement for downvotes!

lol what? I didn’t see that part. They literally told me a month or so ago that the forum mods are punishing people who abuse the system. So all of a sudden they need to remind everyone of the rules that the mods are actively punishing? lol

yep, it’s true. Those mods must not be punishing people like you claimed. Weird.

1 Like

Twice in the last few months, actually.

3 Likes

Good Lord, you need to move past this ridiculousness. :roll_eyes: I told you why that guideline existed. It’s from the old forums. It’s for people that would try to bury posts by doing that to tons of years old threads.

CoC specifically states not.to post the same topic again and this.forum can’t bury threads. No moderator is going to care about a still relevant topic being discussed.

Move on.

I don’t know what you’re talking about. This thread was brought up because just today someone’s post was flagged to hidden. It was relevant to discuss the topic again.

Seriously, what is wrong with you people? The entire point is to discuss how we can find a better method of flagging so that people don’t get flagged for no reason.

Once again, no idea what you’re even talking about. The thread was relevant to discuss how we can change the system.

How the hell are we supposed to know who flagged that thread and if they had action taken against them? For all you know, the mods could be looking into that now. We don’t get a play by play of what they do with flagged posts. :roll_eyes:

I linked you the blue post. I brought this thread up to discuss flagging issues and how to fix them.

Quit with the petty derailing and let’s be constructive. There’s a lot of different ideas here.

1 Like

im sorry rhielle but i will have to agree with kirela on this one, she poses the more logically sound arguement.

3 Likes

Don’t even know what that means and has zero do to with the topic.

Do you want to add something as far as ideas on how we can change flagging?

Better flagging would be to remove flagging and have more mods. The way mods handle the forum right now is pretty much they let people mass flag what they feel should be flagged and deliver a punishment if appropriated. They call it self-moderation.

Getting flag is not a punishment by itself, it’s just a way for people to hide a topic till a mod take a decision.

1 Like

Yeah, but we know they’re not going to do that. Especially after letting so many go.

Partially automated systems are tricky. We just need to find some sort of middle ground. I feel like changing the wording to “report” might help some, but I’m not sure. There might be better ideas and methods.

1 Like

Considering that you can’t even put certain words anymore in your posts you’re being a bit too hyped on the passive aggresive comments :man_shrugging: people reporting you and the mod taking action clearly means the person found it against any forum rule…

anyway they can ban people for whatever reason… any post/response isnt safe…

1 Like

Actually, what you keep referring to is necro bumping, which is different from bumping

"Do not “bump” posts.

The act of posting simply to bump a thread is considered spamming. This also includes bumping very old threads for no reason (called “necro bumping” or “necroing”)."

Necroing is bumping old threads, but bumping your post from yesterday, or a week ago, or 4 months ago, without any new information or discussion is also bad. People used to do it a lot on the old forums where they would just post “bump” to get their topic back to the top of the list, which is what you did.

4 Likes

They can, sure. But this is more about what we can do to stem the abuse of flagging when people use it as a dislike button.

this is not correct, at least if you’re obtuse and want to see it that way only…

maybe you havent considered that the wording you’re using actually are upsetting people more than you think?

1 Like

Now I’m confused. I have no idea what you’re talking about. How is a thread that someone makes about an idea for guild garrisons, well thought out with many different points and levels, offensive? And that’s merely one example of the types of things that have been flagged.

1 Like

I actually thought they designed this new forum so that people couldn’t do that - at one time you couldn’t bump up your own thread it would give you an error message saying someone else had to post first - people were posting on an alt and then switching back to bypass that. Maybe there is another way around that now.

In any case that sticky is on the new forum indicating people aren’t supposed to so I would think still valid.

It isn’t up to us to do anything.

1 Like

I dunno how it works with your own thread since I rarely post threads, but I know I can post 2 or 3 responses in a row in someone elses thread at least. Guilds do bump their guild advertisements over in the recruitment section and they use multiple characters to do it. I dont mind that since theyre actively recruiting, but if you apply it to GD or other sections thats bad.

Still, bumping a thread like this one today honestly is in bad taste.

1 Like

If you two have nothing constructive to add to the topic, then please find somewhere else to go.

When a topic is relevant to events that just happened, I will bring it back up. There’s absolutely nothing “in bad taste” about it. It’s one lousy thread. You’ll live. Don’t like it, then you don’t have to read it. But continuing to derail the thread isn’t constructive to what’s going on and you’re only making things worse. And derailing is against CoC if you want to play that game.

I want to see this thread stay constructive instead of you two harassing me. You said your piece, you called me out, you got your moment of “look how bad she is.” Now just move on and stop destroying the good discussions we had going on here.

Sorry I didn’t see this earlier.

That should fall under the CoC violation one. The CoC does cover that.

Problem with calling it inappropriate or inflammatory is that we end up right back where we are: people just randomly using the report button because they personally don’t like it, even if there’s no violation happening from the CoC.

1 Like

The existing categories are fine - trolling is needed in there and the definition they have as inflammatory/upsetting is just fine.

Spam should definitely be in there as well.

This forum is for discussion of the game and discussion of topics other than the game should be flagged. I am not even sure this thread even though I am sure OP intends it to be constructive is really an appropriate topic of discussion because I am sure the people Ion has reading this forum aren’t taking notes for him on how to ‘fix the forum’.

As far as I’m aware there isn’t an existing ‘forum meta’ area to discuss these things, so the place with the most traffic is the next best alternative. People really should see this, anyway.

I’ve seen some very constructive, well-thought out arguments flagged into oblivion simply because people didn’t agree with them. They weren’t remotely inflammatory or anything, either. That’s not what the flag is for.

2 Likes

Except it’s not. That’s why people flag as dislike and threads that should never be flagged end up hidden.

It may upset them because they disagree and they flag it. That’s not how it should work and never how it worked on the old forums.

People are using that part of the flagging as an excuse to use the flag as a dislike. Which is why we have such issues pop up.

Trolling already falls under the CoC. Making blatant descriptions say “upsetting” is where the issues began.

1 Like

No, kidding, they can’t even fix the un-subbed can post bug.

There is some obscure out of the way forum place (not on these forums) where you can post about any blizz forum I think, but Im pretty sure its tied to bnet tag.

2 Likes