PSA: Even in Shadowlands, unlocking BFA flying is going to take you several weeks/months

tl;dr: Look up the grind for Revered with The Unshackled (spoiler: it’s an 18,000 rep grind at mostly 50 rep per rare and 75 rep per world quest).

Flying in BFA

At some point you may find yourself looking for an excuse to take a break from grinding Torghast and be tempted to revisit old content to grab some transmogs. Then it hits you, “Why didn’t I ever get flying?”

This is why:

To get flying in Battle for Azeroth, you’ll need to complete Battle for Azeroth Pathfinder, Part One and Battle for Azeroth Pathfinder, Part Two. There’s a lengthy list of requirements that makes a good case for rolling a new alt if you haven’t completed most of them already:

• Explore every area in every zone
  • Complete 100 different world quests
  • Complete all major story quests for each zone (250 or so total quests which can be done in maybe 5-6 hours total at 60–the extra requirements for Horde only add another 30 minutes or so)
  • Complete all war campaigns
  • Revered with all major factions (most of this you get by completing quests)
  • Then, almost as a footnote, you’ll see Revered with The Unshackled/Waveblade Ankoan and Rustbolt Resistance

But what if you already played BFA when it was released? I already had most of these completed and while it took me a long afternoon to get through all the story quests and odd areas of the map I hadn’t unlocked, it was doable.

Then I hit the grind for The Unshackled and the reality of what I had signed up for finally hit me. A full 18,000 rep to be completed half a dozen dailies at a time for 75 rep each.

These aren’t completely trivial, either. With a 200+ item level you may be able to 1 hit your average 8k HP mob but the raid level events have around 3 million HP and hit hard enough to warrant a group.

Even if you complete all 6 of the world quests every 12 hours and run into the odd rare along the way, a vast majority of that 18k rep will be earned at 1k a day. If you only log on once a day, you have to double that.

The choice is yours, but just know what you are getting into the next time you think it might be nice to be able to fly in old content.

23 Likes

GAH I was hoping they would have gotten rid of rep grind, thats literally all I have left. Thats a bummer, thanks for this thread though first thing that popped up when I googled.

10 Likes

That is ridiculous…Too much work just to fly in BFA because you want to level an alt. We are in SL now so they should make it A LOT easier to be able to fly in BFA if you’re wanting to level and alt…

18 Likes

Very noteworthy post. There is no sane, valid reason not to have given everyone BFA flying when Shadowlands launched, and even fewer insane, invalid reasons not to once 9.1 came out. This not only limits my solo play in areas of BFA, it also hinders my running with friends who do have flying there. Nice as they are, its limiting for them to have to accomodate me with summons or 2 seater mounts. There is no valid argument, only ancient stupidities.

A few people dare to suggest that it would diminish the grind they did when this was latest, current content that gave them many useful rewards, when grind was done by thousands of players a day, and think forcing players now to grind useless rep for useless rewards is somehow the same value it was to them. If they really are that resentful of the effort, they should have complained to the originators of this old stupid system at the time, not about the people saying they shouldn’t be forced to do it a year after it stopped being current.

If you aren’t gonna give us a year’s worth of content for our year’s sub between expacs, let us fully appreciate particular parts of old content without artificial handicap/punishment for not playing a particular expac.

19 Likes

Thanks for bringing multiple of your alts to make this point. If you want to fly in bfa content, go do bfa content. Otherwise, blizzard doesn’t give a poop.

1 Like

Of course they don’t give a poop. But you seem to have missed the point that I was making which is that this stupid pointless restriction is STOPPING me from doing BFA content. I want to do all the nice happy lovely BFA content. Just not the stupid pointless stuff like rep grinds for dead reps, or an extended quest chain to tell a story nobody cares about now. You gonna stop people flying in outlands if they didn’t play that expac when it was new? No, that would be exactly the same stupid this is.

No clue what your alt rant was, my posts are my own. Your reports of them not caring say nothing about what should be. Stop trying to defend lousy situations without any decent arguments.

3 Likes

It seems dumb to keep the pathfinder achievements still active in previous expansions upon the release of new ones–I say just make the pathfinder achievements Feats of Strength when the next xpac drops and be done with it.
Your reward for completing Pathfinder should always be being able to fly as soon as its available …those who choose not to do it have to wait until the end of the xpansion or the pre-patch to the next one.

5 Likes

At least in Nazjatar there are emissary quests. Mechagon took the longest.

1 Like

Wow, so you mean that I can fly in shadowlands (current content) and every other zone but not in BFA???!!! What kind of crazy reasoning is behind this decision?

7 Likes

blizz, are you batshhit crazy? i missed a couple expansion but wtf were you thinking when you put this into the game? even when it was current content. Fix this, flying should be and always should be attainable at max level without a huge grind. This is what kills an expansion. fix your shhit please ffs.

4 Likes

so, I won’t play xpacs that where horribly made such as panda land and BFA so the fact I still can’t fly in BFA when all I want is an undead pet makes me want to quit your game again maybe wait a few years till you retire your high horse you’re on and let me fly to a spot I can get an undead Dino pet. but at this rate it seems you guys enjoy the cracks and flaws you create in content.

Poor Furry. Unless you are new, you know that it takes time to earn flying. EARN being the key word here. Take the time to do it, without expecting it to be instant or ASAP, and you will earn things eventually and off you will go. No need to make ignorant comments based on your jaded view of the game. As a community, we should be aware that new players read these forums and scaring them off does not help anyone.

Also, all WOW expansions are amazing and offer a ton of content. If certain players refuse to partake in most of the content, then maybe it wont feel so great to them.

The BEST WAY to NEVER BE BORED in WOW is to not rush or force yourself to grind. Try everything and explore everything while you adventure around the worlds. I’ve played since vanilla 99% of the time on just my main and still have tons to see for the very first time. Also, try not to play for more than 4 hrs in a row and less than 6-8hrs per day. It will help keep you from burning out. Give yourself time to miss the game so when you play, you appreciate it more!

5 Likes

Yes, I agree. It’s odd there is still such a grind for this. I’d really like to get it done but not if it’s going to take days or weeks lol.

Still here. Still crap.

So Ive just finished everything in Pathfinder One except the Rep. Having done the dailies, explores, and done every quest I can find and killed every rare Ive come across on my journeys I have:
7th Legion - Revered
Champions - 7k Honored
Order - 8k Honored
Proudmoore - 9.5k Honored
Storm - 9.5k Honored
Tortollan - 3k Friendly

So I am maybe 300 WQ away from flying?

The bulk of what I was doing was for unlocking Kul Tirans and then more out of curiosity to see what was left.

Flying in Shadowlands took maybe a few days - get to 60 then roam around ZM doing all the quests and collecting stuff. For BFA its literally weeks or months of work. On old content.

I would assume for 10.0 they will remove the requirement altogether - given you dont need to do anything for previous content, so you do have to wonder why not just remove the requirements now.

Or at the minimum, just remove Azerothian Diplomat from the requirements - or even just make it Honored not Revered.

Wouldn’t be so bad if the game didn’t make brand new players level through BFA, I want to help people i’m trying to get to play wow through content by flying them from quest to quest but forgot I never got pathfinder in BFA. If new players got to choose which expac they leveled in I probably wouldn’t be aware that I can’t fly in BFA.

If people weren’t willing to complete Pathfinder during BfA, it’s no wonder that they’re unwilling to do it now. Although doing it now should be easier, assuming level 60.

I’m sure eventually the requirements will be removed, just like they were for WoD and Legion when SL came along.

Did you ever finish the grind? Im in the exact same boat for the exact same reasons but the rep grind feels endless

Do you have to do the rep grind with all one character or do alts allow you to still keep building the rep?

When WoD was announced they said no flying ever. Now the two newest sets of content require a grind. Glad I only signed up for a month to see how things have gone in the past decade. Looks like 1 month of playing per decade is what this is worth to me with no purchase of the latest. Was going to buy SL and was strongly thinking about a pre-purchase of DF, but I’m rethinking the entire thing after discovering this just now at level 46 on my previously level 90 MoP mage.