PSA: AI Roleplay

Yes, this is really happening…

Roleplay is suppose to be a creative building and writing exercise, between yourself and another individual. I cannot speak for everyone, but I do believe I speak for most people in saying: I expect to roleplay with other players and not AI machines.

It’s recently come to my attention, unfortunately via experience that some roleplayers are using ChatGPT or other AI software in both their TRP3s and in active roleplay emotes. This month, three people have admitted to me their profiles were generated by TRP3; one of which said so with pride. One of which, I noticed only after I set my time aside to roleplay with them, to realize they more or less catfished me into RP; after which they admitted their TRP was written with ChatGPT.

I thought that was pretty awful and frustrating. Then this last week, I required a new roleplay partner. I was excited to see someone who would match my posts in length and in time, with quality which seemed higher than mine. - After a few posts, I felt something was strange. He seemed to write at a novelist level, but his patterns were strange. After several days, I finally received a post from him which almost completely rewrote my own post in a very uncanny manner, as if retelling me what I just posted prior. I asked several friends for an opinion, and one confirmed through a detector it was AI. I then ran all of his posts; all came back AI. Snippets from his TRP? AI. - To double check, I ran mine and they came off human. I asked him and he admitted to using an AI assistance program, I asked him if he was using the advanced mode (which basically writes for you), he said yes and he didn’t realize it would be an issue. - However, even with that, it was clear he was unconsently running my emotes through AI prompts.

Today I spoke to my friend about it. She admitted she had similar suspicions regarding her current roleplay partner. - We confirmed using detector tools, she too was roleplaying with basically an AI bot.

This isn’t acceptable. Not is this lying and baiting peoples time. Most of these software’s require YOUR post, which they learn from. So! How can we tell when someone is using AI to write their TRPs or during active emotes? I’ve done some studying and research best I can and below is my best advice for identifying AI in roleplay. (Please note these human examples are quick examples from myself, sometimes human emotes involve more or less detail depending on the writer.)

• Emotion Repetition: It’s normal for people to sometimes reflect on the emote which has been posted prior and respond in a way which includes flavor you sent first. However, AI will often times repeat your emote back to you in a manner which delves into adding flavor over understanding the concept of natural reaction.

Human Example: Her feelings were understood. They were gut wrenching, but understood. What she explained was a tragedy. It was something he would likely remember every time he spared even a glance at her moonlit forlorn gaze.

AI Example: A silent language transcending mere words was relayed through his eyes. Like pools reflecting the starry heavens above, her eyes conveyed her myriad of emotions. A subtle shake of her head, her glance towards the ground, and returned her gaze to him with an expression of tinged longing… (Real example from an AI RP)

• Run-on Detail: You’ll notice things are detailed in a manner which seems to go on and on; almost like you’re reading a 1970s Anne Rice novel; only worse. You’ll find that the purpose or point can sometimes get lost or seem lackluster compared to the about of detailing. You’ll also notice this detail isn’t always accurate to the scene or makes subtle changes to the scene itself or your character within the scene.

Human Example: As the two arrived to the Kingdom of Quel’Thalas, they would be greeted by the cascading rays of a setting sun. The beautiful orange and amber tones painted the sky, caressing every building it touched as it slowly descended turning the sky into midnight sapphire.

AI Example: The sun dipped low on the horizon, casting a warm, amber glow over the tranquil landscape of Quel’Thalas. The sky above was painted in hues of orange and pink, a masterpiece of nature that seemed to reflect the eternal beauty of the elven kingdom. As you stand amidst the Silvermoon City, you feel a gentle breeze carrying the sweet scent of blooming blossoms from the nearby gardens. (Real example from ChatGPT)

• AI Detector: I suggest getting an addon called ‘elephant’ and copy and pasting suspicious emotes into an AI detector. You may google “AI Detector”. I found copyleaks to be the most accurate in my research. I tested it our several times and didn’t get any false positives. However, I was informed by someone else false positives can happen. So I suggest checking with multiple emotes and some of your own to ensure it’s working as intended.

There are several other programs that can detect it. I suggest doing research if this is something that concerns you as much as it does myself.

• Additional Tells:
    Lack of typos - Ever.
    Overly professional writing style IC - Feels unauthentic.
    Inability to match writing style for short emotes or TRP in currently.

Overall! I hope this is helpful and if not, I hope it serves as a heads up to people who do not wish to write with AI bots. Again, please note my examples are the best I can come up with, all writers have different styles, keep that in mind before assuming someone is using AI. But know, more people are than you realize.

18 Likes

I can see the frustration here. Valid points.

For me, it all comes down to that age old, foundational condition for a solid RP interaction: consent.

Put it in your TRP–front and center, not buried–that you use A.I to RP with so that I have informed consent. Then I can choose whether to engage with you or not.

I think that’s pretty simple; and a measure of respect.

Opting for good faith here, perhaps you use A.I as a tool because English isn’t your first language, you have a learning disability, you simply think it’s a great tool to enhance your experience, or some other legitimate reason–that’s fine. Just let me know it’s being used in our interactions.

9 Likes

I … can’t say I have run into this issue yet but how ever prevailent it is it’s NOT cool. I’m not a fan of using Chat Ai anything for a story, even to try and get concepts or things. (I might use AI generated images for character references maybe but that’s different in it’s own right, that’s an image, not an actual WORD SALAD that is generated, but more on that later)

Roleplay is supposed to be between two PLAYERS having an in depth storyline written between them to portray their characters and stuff. If you feel you have a lack of creativity or if you are new to Roleplay… SAY SO. it’s how one learns how to write and tell stories with each other better!

8 Likes

You know, I wish I were surprised…

…but then, I wish I were a lot of things.

8 Likes

The day I RP with a damn robot is the day I become a pvp main and delete trp.

7 Likes

An academic friend of mine deals with students attempting to use AI to bypass written assignments. Such cheating efforts rarely hold up to scrutiny.

This is the free tool she often uses to detect AI writing: https://www.zerogpt.com/

6 Likes

There was someone I was RPing with not long ago, via discord. Who had this bot to make NPC’s for interactions. At first thought it was cool. No turns out he was using the AI to reply to me while he was off ERPing in stormwind/Goldshire

4 Likes

People keep accusing the Pook of being a PvP A.I. because I always focus on the battleground objectives in a match instead of just waving my big DPS numbers around in the middle of the field.

7 Likes

This is hilarious.

Thinking about making a Mechagnome and using it like a robot!

2 Likes

You think that’s bad. The Pook was once unwinding with a pretty elf-boy in Goldshire when just as things were getting spicy the elf-boy said “beep insert coin to continue boop” and he got mad when I inserted the coin just because I made an assumption of where his coin slot was.

Stupid AI.

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear you went through this. I know AI is super controversial currently, and I can’t blame anyone for feeling that way. I certainly am both dumbstruck by its achievements and capabilities, while also appalled all how it’s impacting society at times.

More on topic: I simply find it crazy how it’s used for RP. I understand using it to make a TRP sound better, I suppose. However, at least in my opinion, rpers rp to express their creativity. To put their thoughts into writing, act as the character would, etc. AI like this seems like it would take the fun away from both parties. The person using it obviously isn’t involved in the story, the person on the other end, like OP, are left wondering what the heck happened, and wondering why they’re even RPing.

I’m so sorry this happened to you. I hope this doesn’t stop your love for RP. The majority of us are still writers who simply want to build stories, and who are not 10010001000001 AI users. Now, I need to do my refresh protocols now.

4 Likes

Oh, wow! This is quite a situation, huh? I mean, it’s totally understandable that some folks might not want to roleplay with AIs, right? Like, who wants to spend time crafting these amazing stories only to find out it’s more artificial than authentic? Crazy, right?

And, like, detecting AI use in roleplay? That’s a thing? Haha, fascinating! So, there’s this ‘elephant’ addon, and you can use an AI detector like Copyleaks. I guess that’s cool for those who want to be Sherlock Holmes of the roleplaying world, right? I mean, who wouldn’t want to be sure they’re not dealing with some silicon storyteller?

But hey, let’s not forget those human tells, you know? Lack of typos, overly professional writing, and an inability to match styles – those are like the secret handshakes to spot the AI, apparently. It’s like the robots are trying to fit in, but they just can’t quite get the hang of it. Poor things!

Anyway, thanks for the heads up, I guess. It’s wild out there in the RP world, isn’t it? But, like, humans will always have their unique touch. No algorithm can replace that special human magic, right? Totally!

6 Likes

Some long-leggedy looking at artwork: Ugh! Look at this AI garbage! Just look at how bad the anatomy is and how messed up those hands are.

The Pook, choking back the tears while ripping up their latest doujinshi cover: Yeah, silly AI. Silly stupid robot thinking it can draw. What makes you think you can draw, stupid robot. Robots can’t have dreams.

3 Likes

Really kind of takes the fun out of RP, lol. Don’t know how anyone could have fun writing prompts for chatGPT in another browser or on another monitor, but it is what it is I guess. :skull:

1 Like

I am sorry to hear that this is happening to you and others. I was not aware that AI was occurring in RP already (and had not really given a thought about it being in TRPs) but I am not surprised in the least.

I hate to think that fear and paranoia of AI and the nonconsensual “learning” of posts could prevent players, especially new roleplayers, from roleplaying. Being a beginner comes with enough problems. Writing is an art form and those with an affinity for it should flourish, not wither from this. Real writers are irreplaceable. It boils my blood that we now have to worry about and contend with AI.

As a serious writer, I absolutely disagree with and condemn AI in any form as an aid in writing and art. What a slap in the face to those who are passionate writers and artists. There is no reason good enough to use it in my opinion. I want to roleplay with a real person—typos, bad English, and all. The indifference and ignorance surrounding AI roleplay and writing is concerning. This is a very grave and important matter to consider when roleplaying. I will definitely be informing about AI in my RP guide. Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention and I will continue to spread the word. I suggest everyone else do the same.

1 Like

Letting an AI chat program take over your own PC’s RP seems pretty bizarre to me. I’m mostly interested in how it could be used as a tool to help DMs with NPCs or give a person ideas on how to augment their writing, not do it for them completely.
But I’m also a rock head and don’t really know how to use the s**t anyway.

8 Likes

Can’t say I understand the purpose of using A.I for what is essentially an entirely extraneous part of the game with no tangible reward. Using such things for a profile is one thing, actually using it for active interactions (assuming that is actually happening) is another; utterly baffling.

2 Likes

Upon reflection…

I can kinda, sorta, almost see this if someone were using spontaneous human interaction…in this case, RP improv…to try to train an AI to sound more like a real person.

I’m not sure how well it would work, and I sure as hell wouldn’t participate without prior informed consent, but it’s at least one potentially constructive goal.

And it sure beats just thinking that these people are just too damned lazy to even breathe for themselves. Maybe we could just round them up and ship them to Goldshire; I’m sure the bots could have endless fun…

2 Likes

I’ve seen several people stating their TRP was written by AI in a disclaimer. Which is fine, tell me you’re using it so I can avoid you.

That’s tantamount to using someone’s writing services to make your TRP sound better, maybe a little worse, but still a catfishing of the worst kind.

Listen, I don’t want perfection, I just want an accurate glimpse into what I can expect from you as an RPer.

Using AI to write your posts though? MIND boggling. WHY? Where is the enjoyment? This is an exercise in creativity, that’s all it is, there is no prize to win for being the goodest RPer, I just don’t understand, and I’m sorry OP’s had to deal with it. That’d frustrate me immensely.

2 Likes

Are you going to be mad if someone puts their post in Word or Google Docs first for spell and grammar checks? Guess what is used for that? Yes, AI, under general intelligence, was developed in the 1950s. AI is not new.

I can’t help but think the people using AI are because they are running into RP quality police, and they want to have a chance because so many people are quick to take a big ol’ dump on new RPers or those that don’t do long enough posts or use enough adjective in their posts.

End of the day, honestly, this is the funniest thing I have read to be upset about today. Maybe because I work with AI daily for my career, and of the coming stuff? This is such a minor fear to have like doctors are already using it to diagnose you.

6 Likes