Prot Warrior or Paladin?

Hello,

I’m looking at boosting a tank and cannot decide between the two. My original plan was keeping on healing but my friend and I decided to switch roles next expansion so I’d like to spend time getting back into tanking. This would mostly be for M+

I have tanked before but it’s a been a really long time and narrowed my choices down between these two. I love the mobility that the Warrior has but I feel like Paladin has an easier time managing threat however I’m sure I am wrong.

Just looking for opinions on what sold you on Warrior over Paladin?

Thanks!

Threat is less of an issue for warriors than paladins IMHO. Warriors are also orders of magnitude tankier.

Paladins are great in PUGs because you can interrupt while packs for grouping, and consistently lock down two casters for entire pulls. On the other hand, paladins suffer greatly now from being much more fragile-- particularly if they attempt to utilize their utility. Their off healing is severely nerfed these days, and having their blessings and SotR on the GCD can make it quite risky to use that utility.

Warriors on the other hand feel quite strong defensively, but don’t provide much of anything to their group aside from damage(and 5% attack power) and a 90sec CD aoe interrupt. They are quite good this season at mitigating damage, and dealing it in return via Spell Reflect. Their control is lacking due to their tier set requiring talenting into Dragon’s Roar, giving up Intim Shout, Stormbolt, or Shockwave CDR/damage.

TL;DR I like my tanks to feel sturdy. I started this season as prot/ret. Probably ending this season as prot/DPS warrior instead. Prot pal just feels like a paper prot warrior with more kicks.

3 Likes

I really like the aesthetic of the Paladin over Warrior more but I played a prot Warrior back in vanilla and enjoyed it but obviously it’s completely different now.

How does Warrior self healing compare to Paladins? Can they handle like last 10% of a boss in M+ off of healing themselves compared to Paladins with WoG?

Prot warrior is not tankier this season than warrior. There are a lot of bleed damage and magic damage.

Prot paladin also has more ways to deal with this season’s dungeons.

Also paladins have more ways to help your group.

Prot warrior is cooler though.

Choose wisely.

1 Like

BM monk cuz they do big dmg and Keg Smash has the most satisfying audio and visuals of any ability in the game

1 Like

Paladins are easier to play (less buttons) but also squishier. It gets more difficult at higher keys than warriors imo, some little mistakes can be fatal.

prot paly is better than prot warr for sure

Protadin divine toll is one of the most satisfying buttons to push in the game.

The squelch sound you get from the current season prot warrior 2pc is super fun too.

Definitely harder to play to play paladin. You have to take care of your group with all the utility you have.

1 Like

I respectfully disagree. Warriors have too many buttons to press all the time. Paladin utility is not needed very often if your party knows how to play properly.

1 Like

SotR isn’t on the GCD. Pally’s are incredibly tanky with all the short cooldowns and all the cooldown reduction you get from talents just doing your normal rotation. You should always have something rolling and be in your consecration. All tanks have to have something rolling or they will get deleted really quick. Warrior is no exception to that rule either.

1 Like

I’ve always played warrior and I can say it’s great.

Pros: you have mobility, resistance, spell reflect, talents to kick AOE (talents) or individual, can pull more mobs without problems, increase ally’s power attack, cure fear to you and your party (talents) defense stance, etc.

Cons: Lack of group utility, that’s something we have been talking about a long time ago, WE DO NEED MORE WAYS TO HELP THE GROUP, we don’t have brez, lust, or many more buffs to help, to make things worse, blizzard recently nerfed our commanding shout. Many suggestions have been made regarding this topic, including new skills ideas (many of them really good) but nothing has happened.

Anyway, I’ll always enjoy playing my prot warrior more than any other tank, and I haven’t had trouble getting invited to +20 or more.

1 Like

I would actually call pallies the squishiest by a mile

1 Like

I prefer Warrior but everyone I know always says Paladin so right now I’ve been playing both. My goal is mainly for M+.

In simple terms;
Warrior=more reliant on healer more physical mitigation and more APM (attacks per minute)

Paladin=more group utility and more solo reliant than warrior

tldr: Go warrior if you want to be more tanky (except against bleeds/magic) and go Paladin if you want to contribute to your group and want a smoother pulling/grouping of mobs.

Side note: Paladin might be harder to learn at the start as you don’t have permanent Shield Block, like Warrior does.

2 Likes