Prot Pally Dungeons

How was Prot for dungeons? It sounds like unless you absolutely love healing, Paladin is not going you be a good choice for you.

1 Like

…

/thread

2 Likes

prot pallies= best dungeon tanks by a longshot once you have the gear to support it.

Literally the only tanking class able to sustain solid AoE threat on 3+ targets for minimal effort.
Being uncrushable isn’t a concern.

If I was looking at doing a 45 min strat UD run i’d be looking for pally tanks over warriors.

10 Likes

It’s good, a little harder than Warrior and Druid in my experience. Paladin healing is the numerically the best, in PvE and PvP. Ret shreds PvP and if you are a living god among mere mortals min/maxxer, you are quite raid viable with it.

1 Like

Hmm, well how about that. Gives me a little hope for rolling a Paladin then.

Everyone who craps on prot paladins does so out of ignorance. The flawed perspective is that since tankadins aren’t the ideal choice for main tanking in 40 mans, then they are clearly terrible tanks who should put on a dress and heal the real men.

As Thundathys says, you definitely need the gear to support it. There is no denying prot paladins are mana hungry but with good gear, you can do things like sacrificing threat such as down ranking consecration or using jow/sor instead of soc/sor. You also need your group to understand that they actually have to wait for two mana bars instead of one now.

However, it is a compelely different style than warrior with rage vs mana and if you do have dreams of main tanking in 40s you might as well go warrior instead. Prot paladin didn’t really come into its own until TBC when there was actual itemization (more spell power) and a few key talent additions, specifically Improved Holy Shield had more damage on block and more block charges, made paladins exceptional AoE tanks.

6 Likes

I really only wanted to do levelling, dungeons and wPvP on my pally, but I have no interest in being a holy paladin at all. And I never got into the raiding scene, and it doesn’t seem likely I will for this game.

Should a prot paladin build a spirit set to drink with so they are ready for the next pull in no time?

1 Like

Prot pallies with good gear and an educated group can be very effective.

Getting to the good gear can be difficult, and pugging will make you pull your hair out since pug dps who don’t understand your threat limitations are going to constantly pull off you and brand you as a “bad tank”.

1 Like

Ya, prot warrior is not the best choice. My brother was running 20 min strath runs with him being 2h fury tanking, another fury warrior, ret, priest, and a random. A lot less safe than a bear or paladin tank, but the ret covered while the priest was downing chardonnay or when it got dicey. Really good team they had especially because they had 3 plate wearing frontliners.

If you want to build one on your spare time or as your groups get unneeded gear go ahead. The outfitter addon let you switch sets on the fly. It is of course unneeded and will really only shave off maybe 5 seconds of drinking time per.

Use blessing of salvation on them, make sure the melee know to attack your target only until your consecration runs for a few seconds. Never had problems myself, but I tended to explain how things ran upfront or I BoPed their “butt” until they got the memo. Usually I didn’t have a problem though.

I mean I don’t think it necessarily has to be your favorite role, but yeah you’ll most likely be healing if you want to raid. It’s the only thing a paladin does really well in a raid setting.

If you want to raid as a paladin you should at least enjoy healing.

Far too many people on this forum are fixating on raids.

10 Likes

As mentioned above, Prot is fine for tanking dungeons – DPS just needs to give you a sec to establish threat with a consecration, and then follow some kind of reasonable kill order. Yes, you can BoP a rowdy DPSer, but like once every 5 min… and have no taunt… so either ppl get the picture quickly in your group, or they are going to be taking hits to the face more than they care to.

1 Like

I always shake my head a little ruefully when I see something like this. It’s just such a shame. They’re so strong. Mind, I am not taking anything away from prot or ret, nor am I mocking or ridiculing people who have no interest in Holy. I just think they’re missing out. :slight_smile:

I understand that Holy is very powerful in terms of single-target healing and has a huge array of CD defenses, but I am more interested in the class fantasy of a zealous Paladin coupled with the fact I like tanking or doing damage, so it’s really disappointing to see that most people will struggle to do anything with a Paladin unless it is healing.

2 Likes

Just wait until TBC Classic comes out :slight_smile: Pally tanking in Khara was ezmode, same with Hyjal.

1 Like

The struggle primarily comes with raiding, which even Ret DPS is in the “viable, but not optimal” route where you can find a guild willing to take you.

Though if you don’t ever want to heal anything ever then yeah, I would probably consider the idea that Vanilla WoW Paladin may not be for you. That’s not to say that they’ll all be healing all the time, but healing IS their strongest role by a pretty solid margin.

Warrior AOE tanking:

Sunder, tab, sunder, tab, sunder, tab, sunder, chase after mob that is going after healer, taunt, sunder, tab, sunder.

3 Likes

I never said they couldn’t. It’s just alot more effort than run in, consecrate afk till the pack is dead

Lol, I was agreeing with you! Sunder/tab is not super effective lol! Two mobs at max if dps is playing nice!