Prot or Ret for farming?

I just got my first max level paladin, and while ret has way more aoe than I thought, I remember prot generally being the go to spec for farming (since that’s basically all I’ll be doing til shadowlands). Which is better, or does it really matter for old content?

After the squish IDK how well pulling a ton as Prot would be since scaling is wonky. Smaller groups faster as ret might be the way to go.

1 Like

What are the Aoe caps on Ret vs Prot. Honestly not sure how the new caps come into play if pulling 20 mobs.

Well self sustain is actually really good when taking healing hands with word of glory plus you can always pull larger packs with ret and then shield of vengeance, consecration, followed by final reck, and divine storm for rest with empyema power should proc enough to kill trash mobs.

Given you got enough haste to make the rotation as smooth as possible shouldn’t have problem solo farming most content also ret will dish out more dps so cleaving them down quick should be more time sufficient.

Now if you prefer slow and steady prot will do just fine however I just don’t have the patience for it, but that’s my preference anyway.

5 is cap but with kyrian covenant I do believe prot gets extra 2 targets. Don’t quote me on that though just of the top of my head.

AoE cap doesn’t affect Prot paladin at all.

For Ret, divine storm is capped at 5 targets and had its damage buffed by like 20%.
Wake of Ashes had the damage versus the initial target increased by about 50% but everything else takes a lot less damage from it and the more targets hit, the less damage it’ll do to them.

2 Likes

Gotcha thanks wasn’t sure. I know I usually pull the entire Island in expeditions and such as Prot pop everything and try to mow them down.

1 Like

I beg to differ on that statement pal at least do your research before making false statements. Avengers shield is 5 capped, hammer of righteous 20 if in concentration, blessed hammer and final stand only uncapped on prot side:)

https://www.wowhead.com/guides/shadowlands-target-capped-abilities-uncapped-capped-spells#paladin-protection

1 Like

Not sure myself. I was thinking more just because of the wonky scaling right now

check the link in the comment they got it all there just go to pally and then there are 3 tabs for each spec:)

1 Like

Not making any false statements. Those numbers have been that way for yeeeeears now. Nothing has changed for them with the AoE pruning that went on. So again, the AoE cap doesn’t affect them at all unlike Ret where Divine Storm actually got a cap added onto it as Ashes does less damage to more targets.

If you don’t understand my statement, then say so instead of calling me a liar and saying I’m providing false information.

They specifically asked about the NEW caps. As in, what just happened with AoE pruning and changes. Guess what?

Nothing changed with Prot paladin so they were not affected at all.

Not sure if I can make it any simpler so you understand.

PS - Hammer of the Righteous is uncapped while in consecration, it does not cap at 20.

3 Likes

Nothing about that will change in terms of how many you hit with your abilities from BFA to Shadowlands so no need to worry about new caps at all for Prot.

1 Like

Personally man, I have always played Prot Pally but its really good for farming a ton of mobs. you can pull massive packs like 10 or so mobs and just AoE them all down with Consecration, Avenger’s Shield, Blessed Hammer, and Shield of the Righteous. You can also keep your self alive with your self heals and other abilities, its really the best spec for PvE content, you can do everything alone if you want because of the prot pallys good damage mitigation, high dps, and good self sustain.

4 Likes

Bro says right on the wowhead site…avengers shield is caped at 5 mobs if I’m not mistaken that’s a prot only spell…??

So how is it that they are not affected and when it clearly states that kyrian covent with divine toll will increase this cap to 7.

And just like to add those numbers were NOT that way in BFA…

P.S. I did note in my comment that hammer of righteous is caped at 20 while in consecration.

Those numbers were that way in BFA, yes. Literally nothing has changed with the number of targets Prot paladin abilities hit going from BFA with the AoE pruning. No spell hits fewer or more than they did before the AoE changes. Literally nothing has changed.

3 is cap unless you talent into First Avenger and it can go up to 7 if you’re in Kyrian. If you don’t do those 2 things, the cap is 3. It was not changed with the AoE pruning and it has been that way since it’s release. Again, unless you spec into it and you go kyrian, the cap is 3. Baseline for every prot paladin. 3. AoE cap changes, which is what he asked about, changed absolutely nothing about that. Before the pruning it was literally the same way, after it is literally the same way.

And you are wrong, again. Hammer of the Righteous is NOT capped at 20 in consecration. It is completely uncapped while in consecration.

I implore you not to say someone is spreading misinformation just because you’re not following the conversation and what was being addressed.

Edit - TLDR: Absolutely nothing has changed number wise in terms of targets hit by any of your Prot paladin abilities due to AoE pruning so it’s nothing to be concerned about.

2 Likes

Protection Paladin is amazing and you should just stick to it for farming instead of Retribution especially since their main aoe ability got a 5 target cap on it. as for the discussion between the 2 up there, rieltin is right that no numbers change going from bfa to the prepatch and even into shadowlands so you don’t have to worry about aoe cap changing anything for protection. :hugs::hugs::hugs: the only thing that will be new is if you join the bastion covenant and you get divine toll but that isn’t anything that changed because it hasn’t even been implemented yet. but yeah anyway stay with protection they are lookin g sick for shadowlands in every facet of the game, even some crazy pvping has been done with them.

1 Like

Absolutely agree that the aoe cap changes don’t affect prot (although I suppose indirectly you may pull differently in a group)

However HotR is soft capped at 20
And AS is 3 targets baseline, +2 for First Avenger (+1 for soaring shield but that’s gone soon) and kyrian doesn’t affect the base avenger’s shield. Instead Kyrian get there own separate button in addition to Avenger’s Shield called Divine Toll. Divine Toll has 1m cd and sends out up to 5 Avenger’s Shields which all bounce 3 or 5 times (depending on FA talent) resulting in up to 15 or 25 impacts.

That’s good to know about Divine Toll.

Looking at the information provided by different guides, the most recent one written by Lincoln from the Hammer of Wrath community states that the splash damage from HotR has no cap at all while in consecration. It was updated almost a week after the other page that says it has a soft cap of 20. Maybe he wrote the wrong thing in the guide, maybe to him soft-cap isn’t an actual cap because regardless everything is still taking damage, just less after 20. He wrote the same thing about consecration so I’m thinking it’s the latter.

100% protection for leveling.

1 Like

tankadin is the way yo go.

1 Like