Proposal: Unbind Expulsom and Hydrocore in PvE Season 2

When BfA was released, two limiting reagents were introduced for crafting purposes:

Expulsom - Part of the “Scrap” system, you destroy gear to create it. ~15% drop rate from any scrappable item, with the exception of trinkets which were 100%. Relatively heavy numbers needed for any craftable good.

Hydrocore - End boss of dungeon drop, 100% on mythic, later added at a lesser drop rate from heroic end bosses. Added to encourage dungeon participation, and act as a secondary limiting reagent on higher end craftables(champion gear, 32 slot bags, cauldrons, raid quality gear).

Issues with Expulsom:
-Scrapping takes a fair amount of time;
-Scrapping an item precludes the item from being disenchanted;
-Scrapping produces other material than expulsom - some materials produced are useful/valuable, some are much less desired;
-Expulsom needed per craftable good varies from 1 to 60+;
-Some professions have broad uses for expulsom, some have near zero use for it.

Issues with Hydrocore:
-Time debt involved in obtaining even one;
-Singular game play source;
-Those that would have tons of it are spending their time dungeon running; those who have need of it for crafting are often spending tons of time gathering, AHing, etc.;
-In season two, no longer tied to raid quality gear (Tidalcore replaces it);
-Some professions have broad uses for hydrocore, some have near zero use for it.

My arguments for allowing both items to become unbound commodities that can be bought and sold on the AH are as follows:
-With either there is a strong chance of a player having an incidental supply that they have no desire/no opportunity to use in a beneficial manner, basically the same issue that occurred with Sanguicell but with broader implications and chance to happen;
-With either there is a ‘time to produce x’ factor that operates as a negative to production/competition of goods;
-With Expulsom, much like Obliterum before it, there is a knowledge deficit for casual players to make functional use of their good. There is a learning curve for producing expulsom, and one for finding efficient uses for it.

1 Like

I agree with this, this has to be the dumbest thing in warcraft history. why would you want to run 15 mythics to create worthless gear. whoever ruined wow professions in the last 2 xpacs, I hope all your tires go flat on a daily basis.

9 Likes

It is only worthless now because we are 4 months into the expansion. Before raids opened, that 355 crafted gear was probably pretty good and taught you the patterns for 370 (heroic) and 385 (mythic) raid gear.

Now that S2 is nearly upon us, we are getting new 385 (normal in S2) gear crafted with tidalcores, which should only take two weeks to farm. And while not as great with all of the 370 gear in the game, it leads to the discovery of 400 (heroic in S2) and 415 (mythic in S2) BoP crafted gear that will be BiS for the majority of the playerbase until 8.2 drops.

1 Like

I’d like them to at the very least become account bound!~

4 Likes

they went overboard with both. the drop % needs to get higher for expulsom. Hydrocore each boss need to have drop chance and last boss a sure drop.

2 Likes

It seems to me like expulsom is the new obliterum. Only instead of destroying crafted items for dust that turns into something useful, you randomly have a chance at getting something useful. So would you prefer 15 expulsom dust with every scrap or a 15% chance at getting expulsom? We had the former last expansion and now Blizzard is changing things up with the latter for this expansion.

I thought hydrocore was a guaranteed drop from the last boss in mythic? It is only in heroic that it is a small percentage, which was patched at some point after the game launched to give casual players not grouping for mythics a chance at hydrocores, but low enough as to not force players into running heroics after getting locked out of mythics for the week.

At the very least give us a vendor like we had in Legion,
That way the 2 x gatherer toon’s could at least be able to do something with BOP crafting Materials.
Make trade/Vendor able to convert XX amount Sanguicell for 1 Breath of Bwonsamdi.
Hydrocore to Tidalcore

Just does not make sense you have to craft another/second next gen 385 item to advance crafting in season 2 its going to be scrapped as soon as next pattern proc’s off creating said item anyhow to advance/create a level 400 Item.

2 Likes

Haven’t tried it myself, but supposedly you are getting all of the hydrocores / sanguicell / expulsom back from scraping the BoP pieces now, so you are mostly just wasting some leather when crafting the new 385 piece, which is likely less than what buying the pattern from the trainer would cost. Does seem a little silly to tack on the discovery system to armorcrafting professions half-assed like they did.

Mail version uses Mistscale lowest drop rate of all the LW Matt’s

If I was a leather wearer wouldn’t be so bad Calcified bone is the corresponding leather crafting Matt it drops from Leather and Scale mobs. Only scale mobs drop Mistscale and it shares drop chance with Calcified Bone. Scrapping a piece that required an hour farming to get the necessary 45 Mistscale returns 2 to 3 scales at most.

I’m tempted to send you gold to pay a rogue to see that is done.

:wink:

But yes, they need to come to their senses with this.