First off–I am brand new to this game. I’ve watched WoW from afar for years–always curious. Finally started playing when Classic launched and I am thoroughly hooked. I really need to learn something ASAP though: proper movement with my character. I often find myself just standing still face to face vs a mob. And I know about hamstring kiting but I haven’t really seen that be effective yet. Or perhaps I’m not executing it properly? Sometimes I’ll notice it start to work but then I’m too far and have to get back within striking range. How can I use my movement as a warrior to maximize hits landed and minimize hits taken? Or is this something I can even do? Appreciate any guidance.
Warriors should not be running away. Warriors should be up the mob’s butt until one of you is dead. There is no Valhalla for warriors who run.
Hamstring is for when the mob tries to run from you.
I think a lot of the benefits of hamstring kiting were overstated from private servers. Melee leeway in classic is a lot higher so they’re going to be smacking you until your 7 yards away now.
You’re level 11. Don’t try hard too much on the lower levels. As you level you get better tools to manage what you want to do. DPS/Tank.
It sounds like you’re talking about solo play to avoid damage, and thus down time. As you group up, and level up, you will see a difference.
Yes, being up in your enemy’s face is the correct way to play ; )
Edit: Your main movement will be to position the enemy to the best advantage of the rest of your party, but you will still be in your enemy’s face.
Hamstring kiting takes A LOT of getting used to, especially for someone that hasn’t played WoW before so I would assume you’re just not executing it properly. It’s also kinda weird right now and not as good as pretty much every warrior thought it was going to be going into classic. Definitely worth doing, but not mandatory (nor is it mandatory for every single kill, I’ll generally hamstring kite when I’m getting low or have a particularly tough mob to kill for example). Focus less on hamstring kiting at lower levels, focus more on intelligently pulling mobs and learning your aggro range and whatnot so you don’t find yourself overwhelmed. Having that happen is far, far more punishing to warriors than not hamstring kiting
A lot of the warrior movement stuff comes with playing the game long enough to have a feel for the size of your characters hitbox so you just step right in, swing, step right out, the range on your charge/intercepts for pvp and stuff like that. You could be strafing too far into the mob when you go back in for your swing which is pretty much exactly the same as just facetanking the damage with the way hamstring kiting works, and I find hamstring kiting pretty useless without like a 3.6+ speed weapon.
Try to get a good feel for the size of your hitbox and you’ll notice movement is easier. Wish I could give more specific advice but I’ve been playing warrior for over a decade so a lot of it is just muscle memory and whatnot. Also don’t get hit in the back, ever
A nice fat this. While hamstring kiting is both viable and effective, it’s difficult to master because the class was not actually designed that way. If you’re just learning not only warriors but all of WoW, this isn’t something worth concerning yourself with at the moment.
Much more important is learning how to judge whether a fight is going well, what to do when it isn’t, how and when to spend your rage, being sure you’re getting the gear you need, and forming some social groups that will help in the long run.
/Welcome BTW.
Honestly, I would not worry about that too much. Standing in front of mobs while in the world is fine. In dungeons and raids, try to be at the mob’s back if possible, unless you are tanking. In PVP… well, that is completely different. Usually, in front is where you don’t want to be.