Progessive PvP Itemization

This whole post sounds like Ion talking. How to structure things so people will get to see the content.

There are a lot of players like me who don’t want to see that content. If I can pvp for my gear I don’t have to enter a raid or dungeon. Nothing could make me happier.

Ok, so I have gone ahead and looked at a Gnome mage just for an example. I have used the ClassicWoWlive website tool which allows me to equip a standard character with any gear in the game to see their stats. I have done that with the six pieces of the T1, T2 and blue PVP gear. Here are the results:

T1
Health: 2050
Mana: 5058
Spell power: 102 base ( 121 with bonus)
Spell crit: 6.34
Bonus: 19 spell power, -9 resistance to target

T2
Health: 2560
Mana: 5043
Spellpower: 168
Spell crit: 7.32
Bonus: reduce threat and bigger aoe spells

Blue PVP:
Health: 2580
Mana:4398
Spellpower: 117 base (141 bonus)
Spell crit: 7.63
Bonus: 24 spell power and lower blink CD

Ok, so the blue is a little better than the t1 in some stats. How long will it take to get to rank 8 /10 for your PVP gear?

Rank 8 requires…30,000 ranking points. Rank 10 is 40,000. The most you can get is 13000 ranking points per week with a 20% decay the following week. If you get 6500 ranking points, which puts you at 50% of the playerbase, you will get the following results.

Week 1: 6500
Week 2: 11700 (6500 -20% + 6500)
Week 3: 15860
Week 4: 19188
Week 5: 21851
Week 6: 23981
Week 7: 25685
Week 8: 27048
Week 9: 28138
Week 10: 29011

So after 10 weeks of being average or 50% of your faction, you don’t have even the first part of the blue set if you are an average player.

Let’s look at the best player, who is playing 16 hours a day.

Week 1: 13000
Week 2: 23400
Week 3: 31720
Week 4: 38376
Week 5: 43701

So 5 weeks for the best person on your realm to get the blue gear. Now average player though? How long will that take them to get the full blue set? Well if it takes the best player 5 weeks. The average player may take 10 to 12 weeks just to get the first part of the blue set at rank 8. Maybe another few weeks for rank 10.

So phase 2 will release and after 10 weeks we’ll see the average player start to get their blue set, maybe. And then phase 3 may start and you can get upgrades in BWL.

2 Likes

I see this as a double edge sword. If it was the other way around and you got that upgrade that you were looking for only to have it become invalidated by the next content patch that introduced the new gear, you would still be upset that your beloved piece of gear that you worked so hard to get was no longer useful.

It’s the same argument people have with expansions invalidating all of the previously earned gear they have worked so hard to aquire, just on a smaller scale.

If blue gear from pvp is going to spoil your fun later on, don’t pvp or, at least, don’t buy the gear once you are qualified for it. Silly, I know, But so is the concern.

Alright, I’m currently comparing the Warlock Blue PvP gear and T2 and the T2 is mostly better. It looks like the best path for outputting straight DPS would be using 2 pieces of the Blue PvP gear and the rest T2. What classes does this PvP gear invalidate going into BWL?

1 Like

I disagree. If an upgrade to the piece I already have is released then I still got use out of the piece I had. It’s like saying I had a T2 piece but now I am upset because T3 got released…

None. :smile:

1 Like

There are also pieces outside of tier gear with better stats, so Warlock bis would actually involve zero PvP pieces, further strengthening your point. Dawnspirit is a famous troll, along these parts here, so don’t expect a serious response.

1 Like

I think the issue is people are concerned with the speed at getting the gear. While the dedicated PVP player may be able to swoop it up relatively soon, 5 weeks being the shortest time frame. I don’t think the average player will start to touch that gear until around week 10+.

So after 10+ weeks of doing PVP for being in the 50% bracket on your server, you may start to see the blue gear.

Now the only thing is… we don’t know how long the phases are? What if phase 2 is only two months or three months long? Two months long is 8 weeks, three months long is 12 weeks. So BWL will be out by the time the average player starts to even see their blue gear and BWL is out so they can start focusing on that and filling in slots with PVP gear if they desire.

1 Like

I’m a famous troll now? That’s news to me.

1 Like

Ok so if you’re comparing t2 to the 1.12 PvP blue set then t2 is better for the spec it’s made for for every class.

If you’re comparing t2 to the epic PvP set that’s only going to be better for pure DPS classes in PvE. And you’re talking about rank 13 gear. Rank 13 gear should be better for the effort required to obtain it.

I don’t think there’s any argument for t2. Maybe you could make the case for t1, but certainly not t2.

1 Like

Just to note, none of the PVP Gear offers you hit, while it does offer crit, it may help some classes more then others.

I never said it invalidated classes. I said it made it not rewarding. An overstatement, clearly, but still, being able to get gear that’s better in some slots then what you can get in BWL makes the experience less rewarding. A fun fight to me doesn’t diminish the feeling of “That was fun, but pointless because they don’t have anything of value to me.”

I see your point, but I’m looking at it from a perspective such as: “Gear A” drops off “boss X”, you finally get “Gear A” (YAY!), in two weeks content patch drops that adds “Gear B” to “boss X’s” loot table. “Gear B” is now BIS and so much better than “Gear A” that “A” becomes useless.

I understand the viewpoint coming from a raid tier perspective and that makes sense, because T2 gear actually helps you acquire the T3, but when you look at it from the perspective of how gear was changed between patches or certain pieces of gear were added to existing loot tables in later content patches as a catch-up mechanic then my point becomes more valid.

Well I’ve got some amazing news for you. BWL is a 40 player raid and I don’t think everyone in your raid is going to have the entire Blue PvP set to mix and match T2 with. Classic is a team based game, instead of being upset that the item is a throughput downgrade for you, you should be happy that it’s an upgrade for one of your buddies.

Or you can take the minor throughput hit and use it for the extra utility and resistances, the things everyone claims makes gear more interesting, which I agree with.

Lunni, thanks for your analyses. Very helpful to outline it like you did in your post above.

Do you also know if there is a limit on how many players total (the most dedicated) that can achieve rank 10 on the 5th week?

I vaguely remember reading there is a cap on how many can achieve a rank upgrade per week?

Probably, I remember seeing this hunter who had just barely achieved rank 10 and I accused him of yoinking it out from under me for that week. I remember grinding to rank 10, even as an unemployed teenager took some dedication.

1 Like

And I have some amazing news for you. People can feel more then one thing at a time. I can be happy someone else got something they could use, while also having enjoyed a fun fight, while also feeling it was pointless because I knew there was nothing useful for me on from said fight.

Sounds like a really, really small issue to me. I hope you’re prepared to farm MC every week for Thunderfury and having an entire raid of bosses with nothing you need.

1 Like

That only really comes into play at rank 11/12 if i recall.

If you want to read on the whole insane in-depth system.

2 Likes