Profession/Gold Making Help

Hi everyone, so I’ve been playing wow for a few years now and I’ve always shied away from gold farming and group content, so I decided I wanted to tackle both going into Shadowlands. I remember watching videos on how people made an immense amount of gold from professions at the start of legion so I was wondering if there was any guide you would recommend, or some tips on preparing for the release. I’ve never really payed too much attention to professions (besides a legendary from legion blacksmithing) and I would appreciate any help, or direction that could get me started.

If I remember correctly flasks and other raid necessities(I don’t know what ones because I don’t raid) are in high demand when expansions release. Are they a good item to grind? what’s a good profession setup to make gold? I have many 120s so I can devote multiple towards professions, and I just want to be set up for once the xpac drops.

Thanks for your help!

The king of gold making early on is herbalism and alchemy. Flasks and potions are in high demand at the start of any new raid teir.
However to make the most of it you need to be efficient at farming herbs and making potions.
The goblin mount (can’t remember the name) is very useful because you can pick herbs without dismounting.

3 Likes

Something that is always in high demand in the beginning of the last few expansions (since pathfinder was introduced) is Goblin Glider Kit. This is something you could prepare for now since it’s a lower level recipe. Get a bunch of stacks in the bank and pop them on the AH as soon as Shadowlands launches for some easy gold.

1 Like

People who are doing high-end group content are probably among the most active, and visiting the auction house most frequently for consumables that help them do this content. Make what they need.

The profits can fluctuate wildly, so sometimes it can be useful to buy or gather materials at one time, and sell the products at another time a few days or a week later when the price is more agreeable. Often I’ll do this with Deep Sea Bags because there’s usually demand for 50-100 per day with people wanting to level alts, especially now with Winds of Wisdom, and there aren’t that many active tailors putting products on the auction house every single day like I do, but sometimes you’ll get a bad week or two where there’re a lot of people trying to undercut you pretty badly to the point where the price of the bag is lower than the price of the materials, and in these cases it just pays to remember roughly how much it costed you to make each batch of bags and wait to sell them at that price.

You can also just put the products on the auction house at the price you want to sell them for for 48hrs to try to set the price, in hopes that all the cheaper ones will sell or time out and there might be a situation for an hour or more where your products are the only ones available and you get the sale at the price you need to at least break even. That works sometimes, if you have an idea of what the demand for a particular product usually is and can reliably judge whether or not there will be a gap for your product to sell or there will just be hundreds more cheaper products flood the market and yours will never be sold. To learn these things without wasting any gold, I’d keep all the materials and the products you want to make with them on your favourites list in the auction house and check every day to see what the prices are like, and how many are available. It’s going to be difficult for you to judge demand without putting products on the market because fluctuations in numbers could just be auctions timing out, they don’t explicitly indicate sales.

Beyond personal anecdotes, I’d have to advise that in general you try to put yourself into the mindset of whoever you imagine your customer to be, and think about what things they’re going to be buying each week. Are there going to be systems in the expansion that lean people toward a particular activity? Does that activity require consumables made by production professions? These are the questions to consider every patch. Especially if there are changes to major systems that can eliminate or spike demand for certain products. Like Winds of Wisdom causing more people to want to level alts, which directly translates to increased bag sales for me, a market condition likely to last until the expansion pre-patch.

3 Likes