Profanity filters and player reports

It is not a means for you to break the rules anymore than someone possessing and wearing a bulletproof vest gives you leeway to shoot them.

Profanity is not permitted in-game and will be sanctioned appropriately, and is agreed to by us the first time we wish to play the game, and periodically throughout via the social contract.

19 Likes

i think what they are asking is what is the point of the rule when you have a solution in game already

2 Likes

Yes, and it is a discussion that has been brought up over and over and over again.

Just don’t do it.

15 Likes

The solurion is always report mass reports will usualy involve a squelch a gm has to manualy apply the punishment honestly if you have to swear to get ur point across the the penalty is deserved

6 Likes

it still doesnt answer the question. the questions isnt about the punishment its about why its a rule in the first place while also having a system that allows people not to see it.

1 Like

Since WoW released profanity, masked profanity, slurs, hateful speech, sexual inuendo or references, crude references, spam, advertising, etc have been against the rules.

The filter exists to protect children in particular from people who can’t follow the rules. I tis not permission to break the rules you agreed to.

No more than a bullet proof vest gives you permission to shoot someone.

Mature Language Filter (aka The Profanity Filter)

• This can be activated within your Interface Options: Main menu (ESC key by default) Click Interface > Social and check - Mature Language Filter.

• Once enabled, all inappropriate words in our profanity database will be filtered and masked to appear as jumbled characters, such as ‘*##@&’.

Note: The filter does not excuse the language used. The filter serves as a temporary shield, to help parents of minors and others who do not wish to see it, to block it. Our policies prohibit the use of both clear and masked inappropriate language.

19 Likes

Not seeing isn’t the issue; in order to play the game, players agree to Blizzard’s rules, one of which is no cursing whatsoever. Because there’s a filter doesn’t mean the rule is gone.

9 Likes

see this is a much better explanation than just well its against the rules thats why/

1 Like

and you clearly didnt understand the question

1 Like

It doesn’t block it completely it mask’s it. Regardless blizzard has said no cursing period.

4 Likes

I think this threads done do we realy need to continue this im sure a blue will hop in shortly.

2 Likes

Indeed. I would also guess there are legal concerns to protect themselves from lawsuits too so they provide such tools to parents or others who don’t want to deal with rule breakers.

This has been in place since game release back in 2004. Not too long after the lawmakers and many conservative groups raised a lot of fuss about language in music, TV, videos, and other media. The industry agreed to regulate itself with warning labels, policies, and enforcement instead of being regulated by the Govt.

So, the game has a rating for the static content that was created and that can be reviewed. Player interactions are not rated because they are created in real time. Names and chat for example. Those follow the overall company policy which is very family friendly for public chats and groups. Same applies to all Blizzard games and services regardless of game rating.

EDIT - there is no detailed list of everything that might be against the rules language wise - that would be impossible. However the forum code of conduct does a pretty good job of going into a bit more detail about Blizzard’s policy.

13 Likes

As an aside, being against the rules in-game is also a good indicator that you shouldn’t do it on the forums or you run the risk of another sanction.

10 Likes

I like that the forums are more strict with the way we can communicate, but I never understood why is it allowed to troll people in game but it is not acceptable on forums.

Just be aware, even if someone has the Mature filter turned on, they can still report the masked text.

Bottom line is, don’t use profanity, in any context, directed at someone or something, or not at anyone or anything.

7 Likes

Because online interactions (player created content like chat and names) do not get rated. They are not pre-made and able to be reviewed. They have to follow the policies of the game company - and in the case of Blizzard those policies are very family friendly. This applies to all Blizzard games regardless of game rating.

Yes, players have a different set of rules to follow than the game makers. Players must stay at a family friendly level. Even in Diablo games which are rated M.

Also keep in mind - Blizzard does not actively scan chat for violations. They currently depend on player reports. So what you say out loud in your home, or what you type in private chats with close friends, is not likely to get reported. Your manners and such should be used in public chats and groups around strangers.

Much like you would be on your best behavior around mixed age strangers IRL too I hope.

9 Likes

You clearly do not understand cursing in game is against the rules! The filter is just a extra layer to protect kids from seeing such language. You can and will be actioned for such language regardless.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone for the input. I have got new perspectives on this. No need to fight each other.

Everyone have a great day!

2 Likes

Have some Blue posts related to this.

14 Likes

I don’t think it’s ever a good thing to foster a community that uses excessive profanity. I imagine such communities are less friendly, less welcoming, more toxic, etc.

The rule exists because Blizzard doesn’t want it in their games. Why do they not want it in their game? Not sure, but I imagine for good reasons.

3 Likes