Problem with New Player Pet Battles?

Returning player here. I think I ran into an issue with the Shadowlands leveling update?

As a new player, you’re forced to start in Exile’s Reach. Afterwards the game pushes you straight into BFA for leveling. The problem I noticed is that while all the monsters and gear are scaled down to new player levels, it looks like they forgot to scale pets? I tried entering a pet battle and the pets are all level 25 which is obviously far too high for my starter pets to battle.

Is this a mistake on Blizzards part or am I missing something? Anyone think they will scale these pets down so I can collect while I’m leveling my main?

It think it depends on the zone you’re in. I’ve not really paid attention to the level of pets in BfA or Shadowlands as far as battling and capturing goes. I only pet battle in current zones if 1. I’m trying to capture a pet or 2. There’s a world quest up for a pet battle, of which I use specialized teams for each challenge.

For leveling pets, I utilize weekly Draenor missions and daily Pet Menagerie quests. When Squirt is up at the Garrison I dedicate a couple hours or so to leveling pets the fast way with that, or I hop over to Pandaria during the pet leveling week where they grant extra pet battle experience.

Coming back - sorry, I think I misunderstood your “new player” description. I was picturing, when you said a “returning player”, that you were progressing through on a higher level toon.

I think there’s another thread in here that discusses the same issue you’re seeing. As of right now, it doesn’t appear Blizz has level squished pets to match player level in zones. If you want low-level pets, you have to go to your faction starting zones, ie: Stormwind and surrounding areas for Alliance and Orgrimar and surrounding areas for Horde.

1 Like

For a small, low level collection, the Darkmoon Faire grounds have wild pet battles that are between levels 1 and 10. Two of the possible pets that you battle, the Glowfly and as a secondary the Crow, are only available in these fights. The fights are all against a flyer, the Glowfly, and at level 5 and up a second pet that is usually either a beast, critter or second flyer to fight. If you set up several teams and rotate through them according to the level of the opposition, you can level a fair number of pets up to levels 5-9 in a few circuits of the local pets - they respawn fairly quickly unless someone else is leveling pets or hunting for a Crow. Of the two pets only available at the Faire in the wild battles the Crow is the hardest to get since it is only as a secondary pet, and is uncommon to see unless you get lucky or do a large number of fights.

Other than the Faire, I think Anjia is right. The original starting zones and the ones around them have the lowest level pets for a beginning collection.

1 Like

The level of a wild pet is determined by zone. I dont think its a mistake they dont scale. I’m just guessing they havent committed to making any changes alongside scaling.

I am helping a new player to the game and I have found it confusing to explain how to train for pet battles. I looked in the starter area and I cannot find a pet battle trainer. I already have the training and it is hard to tell a new person how to train. Did they make some changes to the trainers?

No change they are found in each capital city. The alliance one is in the area where all the portals are (not mage tower portals the other portals associated with deathwing zones). I dont know where the horde one is.

2 Likes

On the upper level to the left and behind the flight master.

3 Likes