Preserve the Health of the Game: Disable Dungeon Boosting

But every game is like that to disable much higher levels giving lower levels an advantage.

1 Like

Okay? Blizzard already did the compromise they wanted: reduced XP.

Really? While bots run wild? You give them to easy of an out on the game’s biggest issue.

Hear hear!

Here’s a simple bit of code to do this by restricting exp gains based on level differential. All you need to do is convert it to c++ syntax and create the debuff to reduce exp gains.

if ((highestLevel - 8) >= second_HighestLevel)
{
applyDebuff “ExpPenalty”
}

If the highest level is 8 or more levels higher than the second highest (60 and 52 for example) it will apply the debuff penalty to the party, reducing their exp gains by 80% or whatever.

It’s literally that simple to fix this sort of boosting. They can make it whatever level difference and exp reduction they want.

3 Likes

Really? Because shutting down the game entirely would do that the most of all, so y’might want to reconsider that.

And you could remove crime completely by eradicating the human race.

Its not black and white.

Here’s my thing I may be the only person that thinks this but.

Leveling in classic sucks After level 30 it’s a where the holy heck do I go game and I’ve said this 15 years ago when I was solo leveling on my rogue.

It would be a different scenario if the leveling curve was smoother but it’s not especially from level 40 to 60.

Depending on the class On top of that you also have to take into account there’s a lot of servers that are low pop realms that are just not getting new players.

So for me it’s an issue of there’s just not players to fill those roles not just be because of boosting but it’s because there just aren’t players coming to the game.

As far is in burning persaid will boost in really be a thing I don’t think is badly I mean the thing is the only way this would a been fixed as if there were changes because I’ll be very honest.

Leveling your 3rd character through that is not fun and it’s only really fun if you have someone to level with and that’s just not always the case especially if you’re on a low pop server.

I think that ship has sailed is what I’m trying to say I don’t think boosie is going to be the biggest deal if I mean honest.

I don’t hate it I don’t love it I just accept it move on and I said the same thing about the 58 Boost.

Personally I would rather blizzard give us an option for getting BOA gear or a huge experience boost on the actual account.

Because that helps multiple toons not just one and you still have to level however I don’t think it’s gonna happen.

My stance on it I think at this point people are kind of just done it’s not gonna keep people in the game any longer if you take boosting away in fact it’s probly gonna make people quit.

Does it suck to a degree yeah I don’t think it’s the biggest deal in the world anymore though let alone.

You have to remember that the burning crusade is a lot more endgame focus.

Classic 90% Leveling 10% end game

Burning crusade 80% End Game 20% Leveling.

So if I mean honest I think it’s fine the way it is I think it’s one of those things that people didn’t make that much of a stink over.

I mean people like knowledge that people didn’t like it but did we really go up in arms people still bought those boosts people still dead.

If I’m being nice I think gold buying as way more of an issue them boosting is

That’s just my take on it

Yes, exactly.

Gold Farmers/Sellers flourished before boosting and they will after.

Narrowing their options allows their actions to be watched more closely.

1 Like

I think that was the intent. To discourage low level players from grouping with high level players and getting carried. They wanted players to form groups with other players of the appropriate level.

As for the danger of being stuck grinding mindlessly, that’s not the case in Classic vanilla. There are plenty of quests to level all the way from 1 to 60 without ever having to mindlessly grind mobs. I did it on three toons, and still had 2-3 zones left full of quests left at 60 to complete for gold. And with the increased xp gains in TBC, that will be the case even moreso.

1 Like

This is a bad take. You can not force me to play with you because you don’t want to get boosted in dungeons. Disabling it will not fix your problem of being 1. Too lazy to find other players for your dungeon and 2. Force people leveling alts to play with you. I guess you’re not aware but most people would have far few alts and not even be interested in alts if dungeon boosting was removed.

The boosting fix is adjusting a few numbers in the coding. I’m no programmer, but seems like something that could probably be accomplished in days, and it would be 100% effective now and going forward, with no required upkeep.

Countering bots and gold buying/selling? Or something that supports it like GDKP? Infinitely more difficult, IMO. I really don’t see a way to do anything significant about it without hiring an army of GM’s to investigate reported incidents and ban people, and even that would only be partially effective. It’s like the war on drugs. And it’s pretty clear that Blizzard does not want to spend those kinds of resources policing Classic servers.

I personally have no issue forming groups, but its endearing watching you try to flatter yourself.

Mildly ironic, here.

Anyway, Gold Farming and Gold Selling is bad. :+1:

TLDR… But no. If people want to level from dungeons… who cares… This is a game, if players are having fun doing dungeons all day, then by all means!!! If players want to farm mats or BOEs in dungeons all day… THEN by all means!

But they also don’t want people completely discouraged from playing with friends or helpful players who happen to be too high of level as well.

I am actually ok with this. Because When I help people through a dungeon its to help them gear or complete quests not really for exp purposes generally.

3 Likes

Your IDEAS STINK. Get away with the BOA Gear. It killed Professions. If you hate leveling go back to retail. Because these Ideas gave us a garbage game.

KK, going to try another reply here. My first was flagged for some reason and removed, most likely because it offended the boosters. LoL

I find the discrepancy between how regularly Blizzard polices its forums versus just how little they police their own games servers shows just how little they actually care about the latter… Anyways…

I am of mixed view on this request.

The current state of the LFG channel on my current server is about 1/4 people looking for legitimate groups, 1/4 people wanting to buy DMT buffs or boosts, and about 1/2 people either selling boosts and/or goods and services. It has absolutely devolved into a Las Vegas strip of advertisements and offers. I had to install an add-on to extend my ignore list past the 50 the game allows just to TRY to keep the channel filtered to a reasonable level.

And while I deplore the state the channel has devolved into, I still enjoy helping my guildies and friends get through Elite and dungeon content with my max level character. I would never charge for or exploit this service, to be sure. But it is still something I enjoy and something I think is part of the game. The ability to help your friends and guildies with your character and their abilities is one of the best things about playing an MMORPG, in my opinion.

So, while I dislike watching post after post in LFG turning it more into Trade Chat, I also don’t want the ability for me to help my friends and guildies taken away from me. It is an interesting problem to be sure. I think the best solution would be to genetically engineer greed out of the human genome. It is responsible for more evil and evil acts than any other human drive, to be sure.

Just not really sure how Blizzard would go about doing that. :smiley:

Thanks.

Boosting doesn’t impact the health of the game negatively at all.

The worst things for the health of classic were as follows

1. World Buffs
  2. Removing layers on mega servers.

These two things here did way more damage to the game than boosting did.

I wonder then. Have you had a character less then 60 trying to find a dungeon at level? How long did it take you to find one? OR did you even find one? I have not been able to find a dungeon for months at level.

3 Likes