Prepatch Time Skip

So can we all agree that generally accepted ‘start’ of the time skip is when the prepatch drops.

Too many people have asked me this question. Can we, as a realm or atleast as a forum cabal, agree that the minute the prepatch drops (on October 25?) that we skip three years into the future?

I feel like we’re going to run into a lot of weird pedantry in the next couple months of when we are. So let’s settle it.

7 Likes

That’s certainly how I intend to explain it and RP it. But I mostly RP at weird Aussie hours with my guild and we’re pretty much all in agreement.

I think once the game changes to show it, we should acknowledge it as having happened.

3 Likes

I am going to give all my male characters the seldom used pattern baldness hairstyles on 10/25 to reflect how they have aged over the past 3 years.

10 Likes

Whenever I make a new character I keep in mind that there’s going to be a 3 year time gap. So I just get them 3 years below whatever I want them at, so when the prepatch hits I can toss them at that higher number when that prepatch hits. I think the main thing for roleplayers is how will they explain what went on in those 3 years where they were all more or less Thanos snapped.

2 Likes

The motion has passed and will be adopted into realm lore. Any actions to contradict the lore will result in banishment and a shirt that reads “forum cabal thinks I’m a nerd”

5 Likes

time means nothing in the phantom zone, also juspion is immortal and time is fake

1 Like

Is that all we should do? Should every week leading up to the prepatch be another year forward?

Stop quoting Tezel.

That was my general plan unless my current Halloween campaign is not finished. Have to finish that!

Peacefully smoking Peon Leaf in Stormsong Valley for three years

Just become undead, 3 years is nothing in the oppressive scope of conditional immortality

4 Likes

I mean, I thought that was how the game itself was portraying the time skip.

We’ve left the Shadowlands, we’ve spent three years healing and repairing our broken and scarred world as best we can, then Dragons show up and start telling us they need help again and we’re off on a light-hearted adventure without some malevolent force looming overhead like a fart in an elevator.

1 Like

I speak for the Year 36 server campaign, which won’t have its finale until mid-November. That time skip would make no sense for us.

The guild and I are considering (seriously) not making the time skip official until January 1st, and won’t be going to the Isles ICly until mid- to end of January. This allows us time to wrap up our campaigns and our year with our traditional year-end events.

I do believe there will be a few weeks where this is tricky to navigate with walk-ups, but not anymore than it was to navigate the Shadowlands being a thing for those of us who tried to ignore all IC knowledge of it.

2 Likes

That sounds dangerously close to server canon which I’ve always been vehemently opposed to.

Some people will do one thing, others will do something else, they may not always jive.

That’s okay.

And it isn’t a big deal to not match up completely. The important part is to be safe and have fun RPing or whatever.

4 Likes

There’s already a ton of server canon in place nowadays with the server projects that have taken off and seen consistent participation and success here on WrA. Doing your thing while ignoring what you don’t like is all anyone can do. It might be a shift from the WrA of just a few years ago and does have the unfortunate effect of segregating the community into multiple bubbles, but that’s a deeper conversation for another time and thread.

That said, I’ll personally be treating pre-patch as post timeskip. If the release of dracthyr coincides, it would be quite odd to me to consider the timeskip yet to happen and to treat these dragonkin like they’ve been running around for a couple of years before any mobilization toward their isles at all.

1 Like

Server canon that you should be opposed to is someone electing themselves Warchief because they have a big guild and an ego problem. Agreeing on a timeline isn’t maybe so dangerous, especially considering that the pre patch may come with some activities or changes.

This feels more like being in line with, like Gentarn said, how blizzard wants to tell the story. It wouldn’t be server canon. It’s canon canon.

3 Likes

That ship sailed years ago with the post-Siege Trials of the Kor’kron loyalists.

The time skip still makes me nervous since so much happens in a single year alone. It would of been more fun to explore what happened during the 2 years people were gone then to add three more years to it.

I’ve always had a hard time with time passing by , especially with things that are not in my view. One of the reasons I heard for the time skip was to allow some other characters to mature and join the adventures, but I truly wonder what characters those could be and if they will have the love and story behind the ones we already know.

Too many long lasting and beloved characters are being flicked away into the trash bin. We would not need to try and replace these spots if alternative fates were thought of than just killing off (Which was at least the good direction for Sylvanas to not kill her.)

They should rise up characters who have done nothing and use it as a chance to expand lore and fill in gaps.

But for the original question, I’m unsure how I want to go about it. Again it makes me nervous and I predict what will happen is…there will be people being vocal about the skip, people not acknowledging it at all and then the safe way to go about it which is to use vague language that implies time passing without being concrete in your wording to avoid making anyone accept a passing of time.

So we’ll see. We saw how much happened in 2020 alone for us. So much can happen in one single year. Even one single month. So to think of my characters in a void of three years where they would have been working on things I would like to participate in? It’s annoying and stressful and it means I have to acknowledge aging as well and before we know it our characters will have aged to 50 in real time and I don’t like that. The alternative of changing age to be younger is bad too because then you have to change their experience.

Anyway I will stop there, I apologize in advance for the length. I just don’t like the idea of a time skip too much.

2 Likes

I will make the timeskip even more years if my demands are not met.

4 Likes

Imagine playing something not a Elf, Draenei, Dwarf or Zandalari and being effected by a timeskip.

3 Likes