Predictions looking at the new tree

My goal with the new tree is to see what’s the most useless build I could possibly make. Pure fun stuff and utility and doing no damage.

2 Likes

Actually we don’t know anything yet, but it may be a good way to make SV more appealing to Hunter mains.

6 Likes

Looking like we will/might be able to do the hybrid builds similar to what we had in Wrath.

1 Like

Ya they specifically used the word “Hybrid” in the announcement so maybe there is a chance that given the right set up you could use MM or BM and several Hunter talent options to build a version of said spec that closely resembles the old Survival Hunter. Obviously that depends entirely on how these trees actually end up and what abilities end up where but I hope Blizzard takes this opportunity to structure these trees in such a way that multiple camps of players can find something that resembles there favorite version of a given Hunter Spec.

2 Likes

I wish…… I miss a system like vanilla where I could put 11 points into MM and the rest in SV to make my hybrid… That’s not what They are showing though…

They are showing a system that has one generic shared class tree (think Heart of Azeroth or Soul Binds with shared abilities tossed in like camo or hunter’s mark). Then you have one spec specific tree. This is where BM will have Kill Command, Marks would have aimed shot, SV would have Raptor/Mongoose.

It looks like a system that prevents cross spec toe dipping.

As far as the term Hybrid. Blizz can play fast and loose with words and exaggerate in press release… They could mean that Fred can choose to put all 3 points into crit or make a hybrid with 1 point into crit and the other 2 in run speed.

We’ll have to wait and see.

2 Likes

This post mostly confirms that SV will still be melee.

“With very few exceptions, nothing will change in the class tree when changing your specialization. One such exception might be Counter Shot, which will change to Muzzle if you choose Survival. They are both the interrupt button, but are themed differently and have different cooldowns. Keeping that distinction is important.”

It’s actually an implicit acknowledgement that Survival is a very different approach to spec design v.s. everything else; most specs add on top of the class foundation while Survival significantly changes/erodes it.

12 Likes

my disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined

5 Likes

Aside from the melee thing, that post actually severely increases my scepticism of the new talent system. Interrupts will now be a talent choice, for example. It seems they are once again trying to take from the base class and make it all mutually exclusive, optional talents. They think it “adds choice” but in many cases it just results in things that were formerly common into mutually exclusive talents.

I still vividly remember early Legion and having to tell a group in M+ that I couldn’t CC when they asked me to, because I no longer had Freezing Trap (SV exclusive from 7.0 to 7.1.5) so unless I gave up Binding Shot for Wyvern Sting I can’t CC… when of course previously I could just have both. I think we’re in for many situations like that in DF.

6 Likes

Here’s your answer:

Can I spend points in a spec tree that is different from my current spec?

• No, you will not be able to spend points in a spec tree different from your own. If you put points into the Restoration Druid tree, and swap to Balance Druid, the effects from the Restoration tree will no longer apply to you. You will have new points to spend in the Balance tree!

So, no hybridization you pick Bm you are stuck as a range class. The points are just give you a feeling you have some input to your spec.

• You must obtain talents in the top row of a tree first. Then, after obtaining all ranks in any talent, you may spend points in subsequent talents in the tree (indicated by an arrow). If a talent has multiple arrows leading to it, you may obtain it after fully buying at least one of the prerequisites.

• Your class tree may grant you 1 or 2 starting talents automatically before you have to start spending points, based on what specialization you are. These do not cost any talent points and are free.

• Certain rows don’t allow to you progress beyond them until you have spent a certain number of points in talents you have access to.

You get a point and plug it in, no choices just the the feeling like your getting stronger. It is really close to Borderlands talent trees, you level you get a point than you pug it into one of the skills.

I misss being a hunter with melee weapons. After playing classic re release and tbc, coming back to retail and not hitting wing clip felt so awkward. Sure concussive shot is good, just doesn’t feel the same I guess? Plus I liked mogging my melee weapons on hunter Before they were removed from the specs.

1 Like

Dual wield melee weapons for melee, or dual wield pistols for range would be pretty cool.

3 Likes

Looks like Just the thing to accompany either a level squish back to level 50 or continue to level 70 with the top tier talents unavailable till you hit level 60/70 again.

the new trees are going to change the game its pretty much wow 2.0

1 Like

If I can’t play a Lone Wolf BM this whole talent tree revamp is a FAILURE!

6 Likes

That is an oxymoron statement if i’ve ever read one.

2 Likes

That would be the joke.

No one appreciates my humor.

2 Likes

You said that “I am all that and worse. So, so much worse.” What you ment by worse is you play BM with out a pet. Don’t think you could more worse than that.

Ha! Think again, my friend! I play Survival.

Without a pet. Or a spear. I just throw bombs!

2 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with that. That’s how it supposed to be played, and one of the few who knows that.

1 Like

Don’t tell. It’s my secret to pulling orange parses!

In 10.0 when I make my petless, melee, BM spec, I am really gunna blow some minds!

1 Like