Prayers for Paris

Today as I am watching TV the Great Church of Notre Dame which was built over 800 years ago and is an iconic sight in history, has caught fire and it is not intentional, This is very bad!! With Easter right around the corner it is terrible news!!

60 Likes

I just heard about it! So sad :frowning: I really hope they can put it out soon!

10 Likes

It sounds like the fire was started due to renovations. If they can put it out quickly without much damage being done, I think they can still restore what damage the fire did. Renovation technology has really increased recently.

3 Likes

Truly sad considering the history. In France, we really value the importance of our history and how it’s shaped us. Thanks for your thoughts.

I do truly hope this wasn’t intentional for whatever reason. I am so proud of my history - It pains me to see it be destroyed.

EDIT: The spire collapsed. This is truly terrible news…

For anyone interested - (h)ttps://www.marketwatch.com/story/notre-dame-cathedral-is-burning-2019-04-15

4 Likes

I think Easter is the least of our worries for the building and the people involved.

But yes, this is horrible. A beautiful building with so much history is in flames. I keep hoping they can save some of it. Hopefully people are safe and there will be no fatalities.

6 Likes

The good news is no casualties or even injuries are being reported right now.

7 Likes

Sylvanas at it again.

But in all seriousness, tragic, thing took like 200 years to be built, but it was a powder keg with the condition it was in.

An electric spark, a cigarette and sadly we see the result

3 Likes

:frowning: :fr:

Lets keep this civil please. Keep the focus on Notre Dame and Paris.

17 Likes

All of the news outlets are saying that renovations were likely the cause.

1 Like

We saw it last summer, in fact we were in district 6 at the Holiday Inn about 2 blocks from there. What a shame.

I mean I would say “Highly”, but I doubt it was intentional - Still really sad though especially when I saw the Spire fall, and now they’re saying the roof collapsed. Building is too delicate also to do an aerial water strike

I don’t trust mainstream news. They wouldn’t tell the truth if it was intentional to try and prevent the inevitable riot.

8 Likes

What reason would they have to lie? If anything, if it was a “terrorist attack”, they would be reporting on that all over the place because it would boost ratings and would benefit them more.

1 Like

Because right now France is in a very delicate place with church burnings and protests. If it was a terror attack, that could ignite war.

It would cause even more distrust of the new arrivals.

No, I can’t trust the media. I won’t go into everything they’ve done to earn said distrust though.

7 Likes

The art is gone from the roofs and a tower. Technology can’t replace that.

Plus the structure is greatly weakening now.

We just don’t know what’s going to happen

5 Likes

My money is on demolition.

News outlets don’t care if war is ignited or not. All they care about is ratings. And if a French church was attacked by terrorists that was going to ignite war, you better believe they would be right there reporting on that and covering it.

They have literally no reason to lie about that and cover it up.

2 Likes

I don’t think they likely will, but if they wanted to, there are enough pictures and documentation of the art on the roofs and tower that they could recreate it if they wanted to. Like I said, art restoration and recreation technology has come a long way in recent times.

It collapsed, I’d say the damage is complete. What a shame…