Power Supplies!

RTX 3080 is a flagship model, not a mid tier model. You would obviously choose an appropriate unit.

1 Like

the difference between running a 650w unit or 850w unit outside their nominal efficiency curve isn’t really meaningful.

all i’m saying is giving yourself room to grow in case you decide to drop in a monster GPU is worth the $20 price difference

1 Like

So if you guys had to recommend me the best PSU under $200, what would it be?

for what specs?

for 850w
Corsair RMx 850
followed by
CM V850 V2
EVGA 850w G7 supernova
Thermaltake toughpower PF1 850w
XPG corereactor 850w

get the cheapest one, doubtful you see any real world difference but the corsair gets the blue ribbon

2 Likes

$200 if in USD gets you pretty much into the realm of “can power anything” realistically.

This is an A-tier PSU and it’s on sale; would power pretty much any modern GPU and CPU with ease and is under budget.

1 Like

12700k oc’d to 5.1
6700 xt challenger d at stock
32GB DDR4 3200
27" monitor
500GB m.2 drive
Am I missing anything… can’t think. lol

that GPU is pretty efficient. You could get by with a lower PSU; the one I listed though costs the same for the 850 as the 750w; and the 650w won’t give you much upgrade path but is only a little cheaper.

1 Like

We almost have the same specs. I am using an 850w coolermaster V Gold with no issues. But if you plan to upgrade in the future and likes to attach lots of gadgets on your usb slots etc. could not hurt to go 1000W for the extra allowance if within budget.

1 Like

not originally, they made them themselves for a long while till early2k’s (iirc, im trying to find when that happened, but not finding it, but i remember reading about it when it happened), then had seasonic make them, while they designed and tested them themselves. i remember getting the test papers with one of mine, showing what the unit output tested at at different operating temps.

i forgot about the OCZ purchase, but yeah, sucks that such a good company can fall that hard.

1 Like

you around 350-450w while gaming, a 750w will do. 850w if you plant to get something more power hungry down the road or at similar price

2 Likes

I would say unless you foresee yourself ever getting a halo product (think 4090 or Titan class) then 1000w+ is probably not needed.

2 Likes

there’s also a marked increase in price from stepping up from 850w to 1000w+

1 Like

you typically need a new platform design, you can re-use the same one for 650w,750, 850w which helps with cost

2 Likes

I have my eye on this one, actually. Also I was reading into Corsair units and the differences in their ‘e’ and ‘x’ versions. The x’s seem worth the few additional dollars.

1 Like

absolutely not, there is no way you can make a large run of PSU in the USA even back in the 80’s and be economically competitive. They were designed in the USA, and their first line was the “silencer” because they used that 80mm fan in the units. It was around 250w and made by FSP. They quickly switched over to seasonic on their next run or two.

they were anti-modular, even posted a web site dedicated of how modular cables were bad. They always positioned themselves as an “office” PC upgrade and never pushed themselves into gaming like Antec, Corsair, CM at the time.

1 Like

better fan and stricter parts lists is the difference

1 Like

If anyone by chance has any experience RMA’ing a Corsair and/or needing to use their warranty for a replacement, how’d it go?

scroll to the bottom of their web site and you will see info about RMAs, also sign up on their forum so you can contact one of their forum customer service people if they still post there, been a while since i’ve been there

their customer service is excellent, equal to evga

2 Likes

Have not had to use corsair rma and this is over the course of 20 years it seems.

Presently, I have 3 Corsair PSUs (all mid-range, CX650, CX550, Vengeance 650w), a bunch of DDR4, a bunch of fans, an AIO, and 3 cases.

Oldest corsair part I have is some old Corsair Dominator DDR2.

1 Like

Vengeance? That was a european run, they sold them on their web site and amazon for a short period of time to clear them out. You are lucky you got one

CX550 & CX650, the non modular? If so those are very well designed units, pretty much beat anything in their price range. Corsair actually stopped making them because of their cost.

2 Likes