Potentially related chain of events, now game stutters under load

About 2 and a half years ago I bought a prebuilt pc from ibuypower with a 2060. About a month ago the cpu started overheating (90c+ while troubleshooting drivers) and shutting down and it was determined that it must be the stock 120mm aio liquid cooler it came with failing so it was replaced with a new Hyper 212 Halo Black air cooler. Now temps are completely fine.

HOWEVER since replacing the cooler I had two new persistent issues. One was a weird screen flicker with black shapes appearing when watching videos on Facebook Youtube etc. The other issue was World of Warcraft going from smooth to immediately stuttering when pulling a boss and coming under load. It continues for a little while but does level off for the most part and gameplay becomes much smoother albeit still laggy. I never had any issues at all with lagging or stuttering before this.

I dug out my old Radeon XFX RX 480 and tried using that instead of the RTX 2060 and thankfully the screen flickers have stopped. Could the cpu overheating damage the gpu somehow?

The stuttering in WoW however did not stop after trying a different gpu. What could be causing this to happen? The system overall seems like it’s a little slower than it should be when launching programs so could the cpu have been damaged?

Check with your Isp and make sure they havent throttled your speed. They changed my speed to 100 mbs , so we are upgrading to 500 mbs with new fiber optics intsalled.

Maybe, but it was shutting down when reaching high temps. We wouldn’t have any way to assess damage via the forum. As for the GPU, it would only be damaged by this scenario if it was also experiencing prolonged high temps with frequent shutdowns.

You should take a look at the Windows Event Viewer under system logs and see if anything is happening in the background while playing. You’ll also want to pull your MSInfo (and export it) to review any repeated errors there.

The behavior you’re describing can be as simple as some rogue app using too much RAM, a software conflict with drivers, or addons in game.

1 Like