Possible Glitch With Ragnaros Threat

I’m not sure if this is a glitch or is simply purposeful randomness.

I’ve noticed this occurring on every Ragnaros clear video I’ve seen as well as experienced it every Ragnaros clear I’ve been part of, but Ragnaros seems to randomly reset threat and attack a random melee in range. Our initial thought was that the knock backs (resisted or not) were causing threat drops, but Ragnaros seems to randomly target a melee occasionally throughout the fight even between knock backs. We also thought maybe melee weren’t standing far enough away, but this occurs even at max melee range. We thought maybe the melee were pulling too much threat, but I’ve seen it happen to melee just using white attacks. The tanks being as close to Ragnaros as possible doesn’t seem to have any effect either.

It’s not game breaking, nor does it prevent clears, but it is annoying. I remember we use to have melee just use ranged attacks and perhaps that’s the intended solution. I guess it could also be the melee version of the ranged mechanic where Ragnaros randomly targets ranged targets with his fireball attack.

3 Likes

I’ve noticed this too! I will be fighting Ragneros with a full health bar. The tank has full threat and I’m low on the threat meter. The tank is on Ragneros and it is well before the wrath of ragneros. Yet he still sometimes turns to me and attacks and and one-shots me.

Is there any information about this yet?

i’ve noticed it too. at first i thought our tanks werent picking rag back up fast enough after knockback. but its true. he randomly decimates a melee dps. you just have to be lucky and not get it. or burn through fire prot potions. something isnt quite right with a lot of things in classic.

Does rag do 2nd threat hatefuls?

I made a thread in classic general because it’s happening all over the place.

Bump because it’s still happening as of 11/30. About 4 of our melee were randomly killed when our tank had about 20-30k threat over dps.

I’m not sure if this is a bug or if it’s intended, but the solution seems to be for the melee to wait an extra two seconds or so after the wrath of ragnaros goes out before they run back in. Hope that helps.

Reasonable solution and potentially the melee are a little too happy about their DPS.

Wrath of ragnaros, whether the tank resists it or not, it erases the threat of everyone in the raid. So what is killing your dps is the threat wipe and the tanks not being fast taunting him as soon as he does wrath.

1 Like

this makes more sense. thank you!

Is this a mechanic that is for real or just a bug? Also was it this way 15yrs ago in classic?

It’s most likely a bug with the way it is working right now.

Pretty much every knockback in game drop’s that target’s threat by 25%. Onyxia’s kb does it, the Molten giant’s KB in MC works that way, the Abomination’s in strat, they all do. Rag’s must be bugged since it wipes 100% of threat. But even back in the day it was smart to wait for the tanks to taunt him because they are in full fire gear which limits their threat and taking -25% threat kb at times. If melee just waited for that taunt icon to pop up on Rag then there would be far less complaints.

We have a melee heavy raid team, and we ran into this bug wall. It apears that no one can get hit by the wrath of regnaros… if they do, melee gets knocked back and threat is dropped… also, part of the fun bug is he will also now, becasue someone got hit by the wrath, he will target a melee player based on GUID code order and melee them.

so the question is, does anyone have a reliable way to avoid wrath of rag… DBM timers are way off and the chat bubble occurs on rag as it happens, not before.

We just have our three sacrificial “made account before anyone else” melee’s suck up all the knockbacks. As soon as we go flying, all the other melee is told to press ESC (which stops all attacks) for a second, until tank picks rag back up.