Positives of keeping abilities locked to covenants?

Community gave feedback about Azerite

They ignored it

Azerite was a gigantic and total flop

Surprised pikachu from Blizzard when people quit in droves.

Why are you even here still? You’ve tried to make your point and failed tremendously. You actually don’t have anything else.

1 Like

I proved my point. The only people that are affected by Covenant abilities and they way people swap from them are the competitive people playing a casual game.

1 Like

You proved no point, you’re a casual player getting mad about people playing the content provided by blizzard.

Blizzard provide difficult content in the form of keys (Which has a prize pool), Arena (Which has a prize pool) and Mythic raiding (Which has multiple top sponsors and huge viewership peaks for the game).

You’re getting mad about what people do at the top end when the proposed change is something that everyone benefits from. Everyone gets more choice and toys to play around with.

Just going to quote myself here to prove how accurate my point was in original post

However, it seems like all the feedback that is positive is poised in a way where non mythic raiders are sticking it to the min maxers.

Great job ramming this point home. It hits harder when there is proof in the thread.

2 Likes

So the more of the story is the very bleeding edge is insane and will do anything for a slight advantage and shouldn’t be used as a measuring stick for what should be implemented?

2 Likes

What? Why would I be mad about a casual game? I’m not the one getting flustered over Covenant abilities and demanding change.

Still not competitive. Difference in difficulty is like changing the game mode from Normal to Master, it’s all relative to the player playing it.

I’m pointing out that competitive people shouldn’t dictate everything in an MMO because it’s a casual game, and the latter should be the focus moreso than the former.

Again, you’re not understanding what I’m saying. Stop trying to make WoW competitive, it won’t work.

1 Like

I don’t mind it too much, but I don’t like that the skills aren’t being designed around players who play multiple specs or multiple branches of content.

Cosmetics and story (who cares?) are whatever.

RP doesn’t need to be balanced so it’s hardly even a consideration I’d call “meaningful”, but having to say I’m a m+ prot paladin is very limiting if I chose to suddenly play holy in raid. The idea that there will only be a marginal difference is wild to me.

Races are generally marginal, but:

Dark iron had a real advantage in Bod, Trolls had a huge advantage on Jaina, we’ve seen Shadowmeld be uniquely powerful in almost every m+ season. Top parses in raid are often Lightforged for a reason. (At least top tank parses).

When nothing you do matters, none of your choices are meaningful.

Sooo what? If players don’t play the game the same way you do they’re wrong?

3 Likes

I’m asking about people who collect sets for transmog purposes only and then equip complete sets, not current gear they are using because it’s the best.

But if they are using current gear, lots of people still use transmog. Some current gear sucks. Or matches nothing.

Ion doesn’t use transmog. Who wants to look like Ion? OP?

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/us/malganis/Gurgthock

I’m not a mythic raider or a min/maxer but I absolutely agree with you. Having to choose between aesthetics and power is not a good feeling…AT ALL. I don’t want to be weaker just because I don’t want to choose the tree people for my paladin (just giving an example).

3 Likes

Here is a reminder of what choosing a Covenant provides you with

• You gain access to the 3 unique Soulbinds of the covenant you pick, influencing your character’s strength;
  • You gain the unique Covenant signature ability;
  • You experience the unique Covenant Campaign;
  • You unlock the Sanctum specific to your Covenant, which will essentially be an Order Hall-like hub;
  • You unlock the various cosmetics elements related to your Covenant (Most notably the armor set and the cloak transmogs).
  • Class ability (This is the only thing we want to be separated into either a smaller system that allows it to be swapped easily, or put them in a new talent row)

Untying this one thing from the covenant still leaves you with a significant impact when making this decision, and you get to avoid all the situations where picking the wrong covenant makes you feel like crap.

So, again, positives of keeping abilities locked to covenants?

4 Likes

This 100%.

Oh so you’re basically derailing the thread and talking about something else entirely. OK

Then leave the covenant. If you’re motivated by that one ability, then why is it an issue if you can already rejoin another covenant?

The soulbind system is tied to the covenant ability, both are tied to player power and will change how the player actually plays their class if done right, meaning we now have possible 4 different playstyles per spec, which adds variety of gameplay on all levels.

That is the positive, that is why they don’t want to scrap it.

Yeah, it will be unbalanced, like classes are unbalanced, and people don’t seem to like the idea of having every class playing the same to make things more balanced.

The positives seem to directly be connected with forcing other people to play the game a particular way.

As a casual/RP player, who doesn’t care what other people do, absolutely nothing would be different for me in-game under the current system or a flexible system.

That’s why I’d prefer a more flexible system - because it feels bad that nothing is actually any different, but under the current system, other players get punished for simply wanting to play the game well in various forms on content.

3 Likes

This isn’t going to add a possible of 4 different playstyles per spec. It’s going to be 1 because if you want to max your potential you’ll pick the ability that is best for your spec.

This isn’t a positive at all. If you don’t care about that than people shouldn’t have a issue with unbinding those abilities from covenants and giving them as a talent and making covenants just story and cosmetics.

1 Like

That would also be scrapping the soul bind system, that is directly tied to covenant abilities.

Is not just 4 abilities, 4 abilities and 12 talent trees tied to those 4 abilities. That is a lot, almost like picking a new class for your character.

Covenants are bound to be unbalanced, that is the nature of things. Classes are Unbalanced, Specs are Unbalanced, Talent trees are unbalanced, now while two of those systems can be changed at any time (spec and talent), class can’t, and would you be willing to scrap classes in general as well because they’re unbalanced? Give every class the exact same skills?

I think a game where there is no variety of playstyle is bound to be boring, a system that can (not saying that it will, they can mess up big here) bring diversity into gameplay is a good thing.

Now, they’re willing to scrap the system entirely, which might be exactly what people will want and we will be left with what? No progression system at all? Or soulbinds that don’t interact with all of your covenant skills, because you have all 4 covenant skills, but your soulbinds still only affect one of them? Or give everything to everyone and make the system not matter at all?

I’m not here to say this system will be good, i am not here to say it might be bad. I’m saying there is definetly good in choosing between 4 paths that will affect your gameplay in a significant way, more than there is in having everything laid out to you and everyone play the same way.

None. If your a serious M+ or mythic raider or heroic raider even, or even a PVP’r(for the see through walls ability), this expansion will ruin your cosmetic options. Enjoy having ugly gravestone or nice bone wings that mis-match your mog completely, cause that covenant has that 1 epic ability that beats all others in useful. Also enjoy ugly mounts you may hate because of covenant abilities.

1 Like

I think this restricting abilities behind covenants is a good idea. First and foremost WoW is an RPG. A massively multiplayer one but an RPG none the less. Choosing a covenant to represent and therefore reap the abilities of is part of that RPG aspect. Additionally I think there needs to be RPG centric design decisions to be made.

That being said, I can see where the concern from the Mythic Raid community comes from. My solution would be to allow Mythic (and only mythic) Raiders to replace their abilities once a week at the beginning of the raid. If they don’t pick a new ability by the lockout then they’re stuck using their chosen covenants ability for the week. Additionally the covenant ability they chose would only be usable inside the mythic raid. Everywhere else they would use their normal covenant ability.

Imagine when you transmog an item your stats and ilvl are converted to that item you transmogged.

Want to use a Vanilla transmog? well be prepared to have 80% less health and dmg then players using Transmogs from the current tier.

Thats what Covenants tieing aesthetics, abilities and future legendaries sounds like.

1 Like