Popup from Windows asks if I want to allow app to make changes

Ok, why does the battle.net application require to be running with elevated permissions all the time?!

Lately, every time I power up the app, I get the stupid popup from Windows that asks if I want to allow the app to make changes to my system.

You can trigger elevated permissions when you need to do specific stuff, but this prompting me EVERY time I start the battle.net app and leaving it running in elevated permission mode is not acceptable.

1 Like

I’m seeing it for instances. It appears to have something to do with voice chat.

1 Like

Go to Control Panel, the security / action center settings, click on Change User Account Control settings, then slide the bar all the way to the bottom.

3 Likes

Sure, if he’s ok with no system security. That doesn’t answer why it’s asking him for permissions all of the time though.

5 Likes

Don’t you trust the Battle.net app? :slightly_smiling_face:

It is likely because you are not running it as admin, with it wanting to make a file/folder permission/ registry change.

I’ve only used linux, since BC and don’t have that, but sometimes the blizzard patcher still changes permission to root/admin, so I have to manually change the folder permission for Wow so it can patch again.

It isn’t something I’m doing, or Linux, and I remember it doing it in Windows before I switched during BC.

About that whole, login as admin or grant admin priv. to everything… um… NO. With the hostile environment we call the internet lately, there is no way in hell I am willing to let just any program have admin level permissions on my machine.

My question still remains, why!? and why did it prompt me 3 times today at random points when it was already running. I can understand if they are going to launch a worker process to do an update or something, but maybe prompt me saying that “Battle net needs to perform an activity that required elevated permissions. When prompted for this, please grant this access for successful updates.”

There is literally no reason I can think of that you would need to be running with elevated permissions all the time and then spawn additional processes that need to prompt again. The amount of times I’ve been prompted recently has been excessive and it has happened way more often than it used to.

2 Likes

That’s weird, the only time I’ve gotten the popup is when I’m downloading an update (and not every time, I got one a few days ago when classic needed to update but I didn’t get one when downloading the 8.2 patch for example…)

Created a solutation (Mac):

Create a new folder in you User folder, for ex. /Users/usersname/games/

Copy the battlenet application and paste it into that folder (100% safe because its just a copy)

Copy you World of Warcraft folder and paste it into here (also completely safe)

Open battlenet and go to preferences -> 'Game Install/Update'

Change the default install directory to /Users/usersname/games/

Change wow classic to /Users/username/games/World of Warcraft/, for ex.

Now no more admin privileges needed to install updates.

You can either delete the old copies in your Application folder or keep them in case you’re worried something will happen to the new folder.

2 Likes

Side note, why the fk doesn’t blizz just tell you this?

1 Like

If you do that on a Windows PC, you will get prompted to allow administrator prompt when installing updates eventually. You might even get the reoccuring pita scan and repair error that requires a wipe and restore. Check out the Tech Support forum on the problems with battle.net.

Nice year old necro

You can run WoW in a VM but you will take a performance hit.

Wow, responding to Sept 2019 necro.