Popular things you think are overrated

What are popular things that you think are overrated?

I have many:

1. Star Wars: I cannot understand why it is such a big deal, the acting is corny, the characters feel flat, and some of the effects (both practical and CGI) look dated.
  2. South Park: A few years ago I decided to watch the show on Hulu to see what made it “great”. I watched the first 3 seasons, and I didn’t laugh even once. It is full of fecal jokes and swearing. I do not consider that to be “adult humor”, that is humor for middle schoolers. I know that because I did those jokes in junior high as did my friends and classmates.
  3. Basketball: I have tried watching a game whenever there’s a big hype for the NBA season. And I watch like first 30 minutes of the game, and then I change the channel. It is all dribbling and slam dunks.
  4. Spongebob: The funny thing is that I used to like that show as a kid. Once I got into my late teens, I look back at the time and think that the show isn’t that great as I remember. I can’t stand the main character’s laugh, it’s so annoying.
  5. Avatar The Last Airbender: Another show that is a darling to many people of my generation, but I never liked it. I saw a half of the first season but I found it to be quite boring.

There’s many more. What is your list?

1 Like

Asmongold.

Bellular.

Tallesin and Evitel.

etc.

1 Like

I wasn’t on board with South Park from season 1 in 1997. I came on board around season 5ish, loved it, and then went back to watch the earlier seasons. The earlier seasons were definitely not as funny. I wouldn’t give up on it. The genius pop culture humor wasn’t around for the earlier seasons.

I would definitely suggest watching the movie. If you don’t want to commit the time for the entire series, I would spot watch some of the classic funny episodes. Ones that come to mind:
• Mickey Mouse/Jonas Brothers episode
• Tourette’s Syndrome/catch a predator episode
• Mel Gibson/Passion of the Christ episode
• The Cartman special olympics episode
• The Ben Affleck/Jennifer Lopez episode

Start with those and ask your friends which ones they suggest.

To respond to your post; Stranger Things. It’s certainly not a bad show, and I can understand how boys who are into video games, D&D, and sci fi would be interested, but I don’t understand the craze among girls in their teens, 20’s, and 30’s. Why are they all so obsessed with this show?

The original Star Wars trilogy is awesome. The rest of the movies are garbage.

1 Like

Marvel Studios Movies.

The last Dark Knight movie.

Guild Wars 2

Star Wars Original Trilogy (like prequels the best).

2001 A Space Oddessy

Avatar (like it but not enough to like rewatch 5 more sequels)

Terminator 2 Judgement Day (the first is the best)

Final Fantasy series (tho I’d like to play the MMO some day)

Angelina Jolie’s recent 10 years worth of movies.

Comic Book movies in general…

etc,etc…

good idea for a post btw.

1 Like

Big weddings - HUGE waste of money. A young couple is crazy to go into debt right off the start (unless Daddy pays the tab, in which case he’s a sucker).
Funerals - another giant ripoff. No embalming, immediate cremation, buy a cheap urn and put it on the mantle or just scatter the ashes somewhere the deceased loved. No expensive dinner for the freeloaders.
New cars. Foolish waste of cash. Do some research. Buy a used vehicle 2 or 3 years old in good shape with low mileage. Yeah, I know that atm even used cars cost far more than they are worth.

So So true, except maybe the car part. Just depends on the used car dealer.

1 Like

I know what you mean. I hate dealers, new or used. They’ll rob you if they can. A used car dealer will clean and polish the car and hope you don’t have the sense to really check it out. Recently searched high and low for a couple months. My mechanic, whom I’ve known since we were kids, solved the problem. One of his customers was an old lady in her 80s who just couldn’t drive anymore. She had a really nice, low mileage vehicle. She bought it new and my buddy had taken excellent care of it for her. I got it for a very good price. Sometimes we get lucky.

indeed. Sounds great! I most likely bought my last new car back in 17’ now I am disabled so wish me well in the future that I am able to get a good deal as well on a used low mileage one. Let us hope my fairly new one lasts longer tho. :slight_smile:

Best of luck with your 2017. Should last a very long time if you do all the scheduled maintenance in a timely fashion. When miles get high ALL the fluids should be replaced. If you live in the rust belt, get the undercarriage treated with Fluid Film or some similar product every year. Wash the salt off regularly. Again, I wish you the best.

1 Like

thank ya! Speaking of salt, I totally need to give it a wash!

Not really seeing the hype with squid games. But with super popular things comes cringe as people try to milk it for everything they can. Its a bit of a turn off.

I’m also really not hyped about children. Or just how people think they’re not fully existing if they’re not creating children. But that’s the traumatic childhood side of my brain talking.

I actually liked these guys early on, they were refreshing and honest, unfortunately from the time they found some degree of success (around the time of their first Blizzcon interviews with Ion etc) they turned into a cheer squad, they got to a point where they just stopped saying anything critical at all and if they did it would be super soft/said in jest kind of thing, never actually calling a spade a spade.

I stopped watching when that nonsense started.