Plz help, shift macro dependent on talent

For any example of what I like to do, I like to make macros like this.

#showtooltip
/cast [nomod:shift] Festering Strike;[mod:Shift]Unholy Assault

but I am trying to make a macro that starts with wraith walk or death’s embrace depending on talent selected and changes to death’s advance when I press shift.

I tried #showtooltip
/cast [nomod:shift][talent:5/2] Wraith Walk; [talent:5/3] Death Pact; [mod:shift] Death’s Advance

but the above doesn’t work, is it not possible? please respond.

If you want the macro to check if two things are true, they need to be inside the same conditional block. So, you’d need to replace [nomod:shift][talent:5/2] with [nomod:shift, talent:5/2]. When they are seperate, it’s treated like an “OR” operator, and when they are in the same conditional block seperated by commas, it’s treated as an “AND” operator.

It’s also generally a good idea to put your mod conditionals first , as it will save you the trouble of messing with nomod.

#showtooltip
/cast [mod:shift]Death's Advance; [talent:5/2] Wraith Walk; [talent:5/3] Death Pact; Death's Advance

The above will default to Death’s Advance without shift if you don’t have either of the talents selected. If you don’t want that, just remove the last Death’s Advance (along with the ; before it.)

Can you just help me this once? I can’t get this macro to work. I understand you are saying the rules but I can not achieve results.

I didn’t verify the macro I posted in game, but barring any typo’s it should work. Did you copy/paste it to try it?

yes ty, this isn’t easy to learn.

Macros read from left to right, and the first “true” conditional will be what happens. Think of them as a series of if/then/else statements. It can take a bit of practice, but once you get the hang of it, you can get a lot of control over how things cast.

Here are some examples to give you an idea of how macros are parsed by the game:

The macro I posted:

#showtooltip
/cast [mod:shift]Death's Advance; [talent:5/2] Wraith Walk; [talent:5/3] Death Pact; Death's Advance

IF holding the shift key, THEN cast Death’s Advance
ELSE IF talent 5/2 is selected, THEN cast Wraith Walk
ELSE IF talent 5/3 is slected, THEN cast Death Pact
ELSE cast Death’s Advance

If we do the same thing with your original macro

#showtooltip
/cast [nomod:shift][talent:5/2] Wraith Walk; [talent:5/3] Death Pact; [mod:shift] Death’s Advance

IF shift is not held, THEN cast Wraith Walk
ELSE IF talent 5/2 is selected, THEN cast Wraith Walk
ELSE IF talent 5/3 is selected, THEN cast Death Pact
ELSE IF shift is held, THEN cast Death’s Advance

As you can see, it won’t behave like you want. It will either get stuck on the first conditional without shift, or get stuck on whichever talent you have selected with shift. If a conditional is true, but it can’t cast the spell, the macro will just fail and stop at that point.

If you wanted to convert your original macro instead of using the cleaned up version I posted, it would look like this:

#showtooltip
/cast [nomod:shift,talent:5/2] Wraith Walk; [nomod:shift,talent:5/3] Death Pact; [mod:shift] Death’s Advance

IF shift is not held AND talent 5/2 is selected, THEN cast Wraith Walk
ELSE IF shift is not held AND talent 5/3 is selected, THEN cast Death Pact
ELSE IF shift is held, THEN cast Death’s Advance

It will work mostly the same way the one I posted will. (The big difference is that with my macro if you have talent 5/1 selected, Death’s Advance will cast with or without shift held and you won’t get a ? icon.)

Can you show me an example of the reverse? I keep trying to make my own macros and failing, now I want to start with a base skill with shift leading me into talent skills.

tried making this and it doesn’t work. #showtooltip
/cast [nomod:shift] festering strike; [mod:Shift] [talent 7/3] unholy assault; [Talent;7/2] summong gargoyle;

[this, and this]
[this] [or this]
#showtooltip
/cast [mod:shift,talent:7/3] Unholy Assault; [mod:shift,talent:7/2] Summon Gargoyle; Festering Strike

You also need to type the spell names properly.

I can’t get this to work, I am listening to what you are saying and I can’t get this to work and I am getting overly frustrated, plz help. the post above does not work.

If you hold down shift and click the button on your bars does it work?

No, it does not work.

Does the icon on the button change?

It goes from festering strike icon to question mark

Re-copy the macro I posted. I didn’t notice some bad syntax I copied over from your version.

#showtooltip
/cast [mod:shift,talent:7/3] Unholy Assault; [mod:shift,talent:7/2] Summon Gargoyle; Festering Strike

I finally got it, ty. I am just so exhausted from this.

I get so frustrated because I don’t understand all these triggers yet and when I try to apply stuff I read and it doesn’t work it just locks me in a cage of anger.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/useful-macro-templates/42937
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/macros-condensing-your-physical-keys/678238
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/macros-essential-information/21139

1 Like