Pls remove leeway mechanic

By trying to shoehorn vanilla into a modern client blizzard is wrong about a few things. Not playing a hunter anyway so I don’t care either way.

Having a set of values on a different server and client and expecting that to work identically is a little silly.

Low latency could provide what they claim, but what many of us would like to see is real testing of the reference material VS the “classic” beta system.

Without a real solid side by side like for like comparison its a pointless argument.

Nope, i have eyes. This is clearly a new system or works totally different in 7.x than 1.x. And latency doesn’t explain this. This is the single most un-vanilla like thing yet. But if you just wanted to buff melee that is okay.

Vs mobs:
Vanilla: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBOCOfSyORc
Classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67Z8MTAX-nQ

PvP : reddit
classicwow/comments/cbq4h7/why_qq_about_layering_when_this_is_in_the_game/

1 Like

So how is this going to be addressed? It is clear that multiple sources are confirming the following:

1. Leeway did exist in Vanilla and was something implemented in 1.10
  2. The way that this is behaving both as it pertains to spells (aoe and slow effects) and melee is not what people know to be “leeway” of vanilla

I believe the clear divide between those that are stating #nochanges and those stating this is a bug is that it is not functioning how proper leeway was in vanilla. It seems that the extended range of the attack was supposed to be when you were initially in melee range and moved to go outside of it extending the range for these attacks. What is occurring on beta is a full extension for any type of movement adding significantly more distance.

My main concern is how this is working in regard to npcs. I understand the pvp implications, but I know from old videos I had that npcs once impacted will chill and slow effects were not having this level of extended melee on my character.

I really hope this hasn’t been said yet but here goes anyways…LeeeeeeeeeeeeeWaaaaay…Jennnnnnnnkinnnss! But I digress.

If this mechanic is truly bad, and perhaps its not an authentic vanilla mechanic, then it must be destroyed.

Agreed. I’m all for maintaining what was truly in vanilla, but this is clearly taking the base leeway mechanic that was present and adding some sort of bug on top of it.

Not only the distance component being very extended, but how it triggers for specific movement types and slows.

There is a good video post here @7min mark

This wasn’t a thing in vanilla. Nobody hit from that far away with melee.

You’re wrong, you’ve been wrong about everything you thought you knew and Blizzard has confirmed this is working properly with their reference client.

You’re not going to convince them to modify the leeway range with your typical strategy of providing 0 evidence.

2 Likes

So your stance is that Blizzard’s perspective on things like bugs or player experience and the like is gospel?

While I can say that they carry weight to their opinion with testing and access to tools that we cannot touch, there is still a track record to consider. There have been plenty of times that they have said “working as intended” on bugs that have turned out to be completely false. They have only validated that the base leeway existed and is functioning in the right setup. From a coding perspective this is completely separate from there being a possible bug with other components that work in relation to leeway. You cannot blanket this as correct anymore than we can blanket it as working incorrectly.

1 Like

https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/comments/c8eg81/to_all_of_those_who_claim_melee_leeway_wasnt_in/

I have been thinking about this…

I was wondering if Blizzard has their “Vanilla” server and Client set up on the real authentic equipment.

if they’re running “Vanilla” on the modern mainframe that could possibly impact how leeway works.

Example in Vanilla you need a figure value of X.669 but in Classic to mirror Vanilla you would need a figure value of X.003 because the physical system hardware is different and faster with better resources.

Leeway was there to make up for the fact that latency exists on all parts of the client server relationship ring so that making melee contact feel roughly consistent at any movement speed.

At least that’s how it’s ALWAYS felt from vanilla til when I quit in Wrath.

I asked a few people who played into WoD and was told it felt the same from Vanilla to WoD, so there is that…

So perhaps “Tuning” was done over the years to make up for hardware changes.

what kind of broken leeway mechanic is this. I don’t remember hitting anyone from half the screen away. And yet I see it in latest version.

This is fail Blizzard, please fix it. This isn’t gonna be playable if they melee can hit from what looks like almost 20 yards. This is broken, very very broken.

1 Like

Watched the video by the way. That hitting range is half the screen away, that’s insanely broken.

I can guarantee you that this leeway is going live because Blizzard has verified it’s working correctly and I’ve compared numerous videos from 2006 to the current leeway test videos from the Classic beta. The range in those videos is identical to the range in the videos from 2006.

I’m judging from the moment the attack activates btw, don’t use this “but they was moving” excuse.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t argue that this is more than likely going live, but that has more to do with the timing and how Blizz performs delivery. It is very routine that they don’t catch everything in the betas before they release and have to perform fixes as they go.

Plenty of people are watching the videos as well and what is consistent is players entering in and out of the base melee range and keeping movement which activates the intended 2.66 additional leeway. That isn’t being debated. What is under debate is why it seems to be doubled for both characters moving and why leeway is still occurring for slowed targets. The code specifically has a check on speed of the player yet on beta mobs and players are getting this leeway effect regardless of slow mechanics.

Okay, I don’t know if there’s a bug regarding snare effects and leeway and I’m not willing to delve further into this than I already have. I do hope you get your answer from Blizzard, gl.

1 Like

I really do think Vanilla had Leeway, and here’s why:

I spent a lot of time dueling on a my warrior, at the time I took a lot of pride in Figure 8’ing through and out of players, to hit them in their back and break spell casts. Doing so properly gave a pretty significant advantage.

I remember multiple times where improved hamstring(root) would proc and I’d get a hit while on the apex of the figure 8 while strafing and it was pretty obvious that they should be able to hit me back because they were facing me. I’m pretty convinced it was in vanilla.

To the casters arguing that it will be balanced against them. Let me point this out; Frost nova, Cone of Cold, frost shock, fireblast, dots, hots, shields etc all have a finite range… that should also be effected by leeway as well. Those abilities are ALL on the same spectrum as melee, and I could argue to be just as powerful.

Either way, BFA range mechanics work great for melee and casters so I would welcome it not being in as well.

1 Like

Their incomplete reference client they’re plugging data into?

And no, in vanilla leeway did not function the way it does in the beta. It’s obvious to anyone with significant time played in vanilla.

I’m sure you’ll give a source to your claim, like you have with all your other claims /s

You never even played Vanilla so please don’t talk as if you have.

1 Like

please galdor, please keep telling us that melee should be hitting from ranged and explain how that is quality. please tell us how melee is supposed to attack from ranged. tell us more how this isnt game breaking. tell us how this will not result with pvp populace in utter disgust. plz explain how this is a great thing. why are you trying so hard to sabotage classic? leeway as it is in beta is garbage. it needs fixing.