Please stop isolating OCE skirmishes! Hour-long queues are unacceptable!

Hi there,

I love to be able to run a skirmish at any old hour and have found myself increasingly frustrated by the forced isolationism thrust upon Oceanic players. There’s some sort of priority based system for matching OCE players into one another but this leads to unreasonably long queue times outside of peak hours, and also serves to hinder the growth and exposure of new players to a wider skill range! It’s really detrimental for the region and I can’t believe that I can play on a US-West server and queue up 3-5x faster than on an OCE realm.

Please just remove this system and open skirmishes (and presumably BGs? I don’t know, I only enjoy arena and haven’t queued BGs) so that OCE servers immediately queue into US-Westt. At least give us an opt-in option if nothing else because I find myself abandoning my 15+ year old characters on my main OCE realms because I’m stuck waiting all day. Dear god.

1 Like

I agree. OCE needs to be placed into its own quarantine region. We will build the Firewall and make the other regions pay for it.

6 Likes

You’re literally an island bro idk how you think this is fixable

OCE players are taking all our queues!

More like leaving all of our shuffles. Of my 9 lobbies so far this season, 2 had someone from Barthilas and one from Ragnaros who left.

2 Likes

those servers arent oceanic :grimacing: :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Ragnaros isn’t. Barthilas is. But as I said previously

Regions, plural.

1 Like

More like failing to join. :laughing: :rofl:

:sob:

2 Likes

Wait 150 million years until Australia smashes into Asia.

Just going to point out this is actually a pretty huge problem for everything pvp wise in retail, our bg queues are basically 8 minutes minimum outside of peak times where my SoD and wrath queues are instant.

This effects every form of pvp including brawls, bgs are just made far worse. Imagine queueing anything pvp related and you just have an extra 5-8 minute wait time and been even more in stuff like solo shuffle adding 20-30 minutes to the queue.

oce players should be let into the NA q

but NA players should never get stuck with oce ping

4 Likes

The only people who fought this were constant 1600 players and casuals who do 1 bg a week it was a very annoying general forum post, which they completely ignored when they changed wrath to allow oceanic to queue into US without the stupid restiction of trying to find a oceanic only bg/arena.

Whenever I get an Aussie healer, they go 0-3 and afk as soon as they finish securing my losses.

Wish they’d scramble their teams more. Feels horrible when you get the anchor 3 rounds in a row and have to pray they stay long enough to get you even again.

I hear what people are saying about fricton between OCE and NA and I think it’s a multifactorial issue that isn’t easily reduced down to any one thing.

In my view the systemic isolation (longer queues, often being matched with South American players on US-Central data centers, etc.) are contributing to an overall lower skill pool in OCE for PVP specifically. I understand that this can be frustrating for NA players, but it will only get worse with time if things conttinue.

It’s already demotivating to play with higher ping than everyone (which has been a historical problem for OCE) but far worse and more damaging to the development of a region’s skill base is a (soft) forced isolationism and restriction from access to experience against better players.

We improve by playing against better players and by not being allowed to mix with the greater NA playerbase we just end up in stagnant waters. Now I’m OCE and just a casual player, I play arena only and just play enough to get duelist every season (since s15 in MoP) but never play to push beyond that for various reasons. I am good friends with many R1 players but don’t pretend to speak with any authority on anything outside of my own ‘middle bracket’ purview, and I strongly feel that OCE’s middle and lower bracket is suffering immensely on retail (and across the whole game as a whole).

I find it really depressing that OCE feels so left behind because I always have a much better experience playing on Tichondrius (US-West) than on Frostmourne (OCE) even though I’m playing on 140ms higher game latency.

If I want to pick up a new healer class after a rework or if it’s been some time and I just want to get comfortable playing that class, well I’m sitting extremely long skirmish queues and I can only really get pops during the day (and normally against the same few people, who spam play tank classes or play thousands of skirmish games but never improve.) I’m not being hyperbolic when I say that I’ve sat many HOUR LONG skirmish queues as a healer on OCE realms late at night. What am I to do in this situation?

The experience I get from playing low quality skirmishes minimal and extremely limited but I don’t want to queue a solo shuffle and just tank a lobby before getting comfortable like others have complained about. So I either don’t play, or I queue from an American server, leaving my Oceanic characterrs and the Oceanic ‘community’ worse off because now they’re down a healer who might’ve contributed to helping others who wanted to play better to get some games in.

This is such a huge problem and it stems from such an infuriatingly minor seeming decision that Blizzard made without thinking about the ramifications. We are paying customers too, please let OCE players freely queue into the NA playerbase without any additional waiting times. I don’t want to preferrentially queue into OCE players in unrated or rated games, I just want fast queues so that I can play the game. Please.

PS. I just want to add that they made a similar (and devastating) decision with arena queues in TBC classic. They made a last minute decision to totally isolate the OCE arena ladder when TBC launched (at the behest of a loud minority of PVE-only players (I personally know the thread’s author as I raided with him)) who had no intentions of engaging with competitive arena outside of the ‘PVP for PVE gear’ cycle that existed during seasons 1 and 2. This ended up spectacularly backfiring on them and there wasn’t enough MMR in the region for players to get enough rating for weapons. This lead to many other problems including collusion at the top end, and was just overall totally devastating for the region. They reversed their decision with WOTLK but why did it have to take so long? And why are things still this way on Retail?