Please someone explain corruption to me like I'm an idiot

Ok, got it… I guess what confuses me is if I have 6 base corruption and 5 corruption resistance, isn’t that the same net result as have 71 base corruption and 70 resistance? if both = 1 then wouldn’t I get some setbacks?

I wouldn’t just cleanse it. best thing you could do is determine if its something you want. its a balancing act of fitting ilvl and managing the corruption budget. there are a number of videos on youtube that are a lot better at explaining which to use.

like for example. Twilight Devastation deals damage based on your health. lots of tanks like to have stacks of that because large health pools = lots of free burst damage. in pvp, if the % is greater than the enemy player health the odds of random 1 shots is fairly high.

others may stack Tentacles for random single target damage.
infinity stars could also be good but its power may reset if you change targets.

if you are dying alot Verse % can help (if you have verse gear.)

and thats just a few examples.

You need to accept a quest from Wraithion and do Visions with a group. You kill somehitn or collect an item each time you do a vision and turn in the quest to upgrade your cloak. This increases your corruption resistance. It’s a group thing and the first 5 levels are easy. After that groups can get pretty toxic. In order to do a vision you need to buy an item and it uses a currency you get from doing other things, mainly dailys and one of the weekly zones.

A lot of people starting out forget to turn in the quest and waste the tokens they need to do visions.

Yes, but all it does is slow you down for a bit and it is barely noticeable. Plus if you are in a situation where that slowing is a problem you can use your cloak to dispel the effects for 6 sec (once your cloak gets to a certain rank don’t remember what).

My cloak is rank 5 and I solo’d all 5 levels today. I can’t run any more yet because I am out of the 10,000 whatchamacallits needed. Not sure how I acquired the 43,000 or so to run 4 but I did…now I need more

You can also increase your corruption resistance by using the new essences.

For the love of god… hah, what essences and where do I get them? Damn, so much to learn and figure out… hopefully I am not being too annoying yet, just no way to find this stuff out.

Yeah, so the next part you have to go to a second area and get an item. The part after that (I forget the levels) you need you need to collect two items each time (you have to do two visions for this) and go to a third area.

Honestly, this is what i meant by don’t bother.

The easiest ones are from the main quest but I think the rest are only random drops from activities. But upgrading them confers more corruption resistance if that’s what you’re going for.

Alternatively you can bring the items to Mother in the chamber of Heart and she’ll remove the corruption. You still keep the high iLevel item.

Don’t bother might be strong, but as another late-starter to BFA, I’m not overly focused on getting stuff with the cloak and corruption done. I do it when it suits my whims. This expansion has a ridiculous number of cutscenes and junk to sit through and honestly, the Kul Tiras/Zandalar/Mechagon stuff is all just so much more fun than the Naz’jatar and Assault stuff.

It’s very complicated, a lot of work, and is about to be bumped off by Shadowlands. I guess it depends on what his goals are, is he trying to do Mythic+ or just get the backpack?

1 Like

That’s it, I quit… no f’n idea what the backpack is. Someone put me out of my misery.

Cosmetic item, cloak slot. It’s a backpack. it’s pretty nifty.

1 Like

No, it is a set amount for Twilight Devastation 1, 2 or 3 (for example, 3 would be the highest one.)

I have 2 on gloves (I think? 50 corruption) with 1 on legs, 25 corruption. I believe 3 is 75 corruption?

1 Like