Please someone explain corruption to me like I'm an idiot

WARNING: I am an idiot, so please break it down to the stupid. I have been playing less than a month. I have read almost every site, watched 4 videos and no one goes into explaining it… just “this is it and this is how to manage it” but unless I have context and history, it is like they are speaking a different languge.

I don’t understand the following:

1. How is the corruption number on a piece of loot I get “calculated”. Is it first an RNG to see if it is corrupted or not, and then if it is corrupted another RNG to what number it gives corruption?

2. Ok, so how does corruption work? Just making it up, if my total corruption is 21 and my corruption resistance is 20… is that 1 corruption (so dif of 1)? and how does that compare or effect me to say all the same items, but 50 corruption and 20 resistance (so dif of 30)?

3. How do they impact game play? Are they like procs? Timers? Do they do more damage to the MOB you are attacking the higher your corruption is but in turn hurt you? I don’t understand.

4. As a Hunter, is there some corruption I should look for or any other tips I can get that is Hunter worthy?

5. If I get a real nice item level item and it gets like 60 corruption (or something really high), should I cleanse it if it is an upgrade? I guess the answer to 3 and 4 will dictate this a bit.

6. I see some people completely covered in flashing blue, so they must have skyrocket high Corruption levels…can’t that kill them?

Ugh sorry… 6 questions is a lot so just answer what you can.

Thanks in advance… I just cant seem to grasp it and I feel like I may be missing out on a major benefit!

2 Likes

you get it from doing stuff, corruption has negative effects on your character, but it gives you some boost like gushing wounds or twilight dev, just read the effects on wowhead or something

wear too much without enough resistance you get bad effects in when you’re in combat.

overall, a very trash system for a fittingly trash expansion

4 Likes
  1. Corruption is determined based on kind of corruption and rank of said corruption. Its technically 3 layers of rng. Good secondary stats on the right piece of gear>corruption type>corruption rank.

2. Total Corruption-Corruption Resistance=Corruption that will affect your character.

3. The damage and percents stack. Not sure about an internal timer, but higher haste does give more procs. Your corruption will hurt you, and that is the tradeoff of having such OP passives and procs.

4. The bow that drops from Skitra has the corruption that reduces a random hunter CD by 2 seconds for every auto shot. That is your BiS. I don’t play hunter, but I believe stacking Crit corruptions would be your best bet.

5. Keep it just in case because of how they’re constantly nerfng and buffing corruption. 60 is quite a lot, and you wouldn’t run that much in raids or dungeons.

6. Blue just means you have corruption, it shows up on all toons with corruption (Besides red, which means you have a bunch)

The best way to deal with high amounts of corruption is to have awareness, use your Cloack button, stun/CC your Thing from Beyond, step out of the eye of corruption if you can, and follow mechanics as closely as possible if you have inevitable doom.

2 Likes

I appreciate your reply and effort, but I am more confused…

Huh???

Even more confuse now… that didn’t explain it at all to me. I did read that site and it just confused me… again, I am challenged mentally it seems

Still very vague… like what are the bad things? WHy would someone fight with that much Corruption then as I see it all the time?

corruption make grug do big dam

if grug wear too much corruption do big dam but healer get mad and i die

but grug no have corruption because rng chest no give corruption so no big dam

2 Likes

I don’t know, but it’s possible to get very wide swings in the amount of corruption you get. Sometimes an item will give very little, sometimes it will give a lot. Any item you get that is Bind on Pickup but not granted directly by a story quest can be corrupted. So that is any item from World Quests or from an item that creates a loot item roll when used or dungeon and raid drops.

Yes, that would be 1 corruption.

The higher your total corruption is, the higher the frequency and potency of negative corruption effects, but it also indicates that you’re getting stronger corruption benefits – a piece that has very weak corruption benefits will also have a weak corruption score. You can check your character menu to the right of your item level value for a corrupted-looking eye; mousing over that eye tells you your current total corruption, sources of corruption and resistance, what your current negative effects from corruption are, and the threshold at which you get a new negative effect from corruption.

Most corruption benefits are procs, some are secondary stat benefits. All negatives to having corruption are procs.

Wowhead’s class and spec guides should be able to help you here.

Yeah it depends on if it’s a good corruption for you, how much corruption resistance you have, and how good you are as a player personally to deal with those side effects.

Really high corruption is actually red – it doesn’t take much at all to be blue.

Some people are really good at managing high corruption. Having corruption effectively turns most fights into having boss-fight like mechanics that you have to deal with, in addition to any actual mechanics the fight would naturally have.

heh, that was pretty funny actually. I’m still clueless but ya made me laugh :slight_smile:

Corruption is like titan forging, but all the things that sucked about it amplified.

Depending on the level there are different things that happen.
at 1 you have a chance to be slowed
at 20 you may summon an eye that deals damage to you. that damage applies a debuff that increase the damage it does you further if you get hit again.
at 40 you have a chance to summon the “thing from beyond”
that is just a shadow version that runs into you and explodes for damage to you.
at 60 getting hit by the thing from beyond causes the eye to trigger.
at 80 you start taking increased damage and reduced healing from all sources.

the reason someone would go into those is for the Reward.
higher risk, greater reward.

common point to hit is to be above 25 if you have the heart of darkness Azerite gear. but below 40 (39 or lower) so you don’t have to deal with the thing from beyond.

All the past tiers scale up the more corruption you have.
the eye circle at 20 is far smaller than the one at 80.
and the base damage they deal to you increases too.

Literally ZERO idea what Titan Forging is…something else I need to learn… ffs

old patch gear has a chance to have a higher ilvl than you expected.

new gear cant titan forge.

Titan forging is randomized gear that’s usually not what you needed and disappointing. Corruption…Basically, all the things you need (in terms of stats) are randomized and there are like 5 categories you need to line up. You only have one chance to roll the dice a week per source of loot and you need to line up stats on all your gear pieces. You also need to upgrade this cloak doing a team thing (which they lied and said could be solod) or you die randomly. There’s also like three forms of currency you need to keep track of and one currency is only used to buy another currency.

lol funny cuz its true.

1 Like

Ekatos, Kittsuera and Twinkletorch: Ok, those were awesome answers and very descriptive… its really starting to make sense now… thank you so much for taking the time… and of course thanks to others for their inputs.

1 Like

It’s like they said, “This is super annoying and convoluted, what should be the cherry on top?”

At this point it’s not really worth dealing with. Take your gear to Mother to have it cleaned, and that gets rid of the corruption.

For real? It’s not worth keeping any? What do you mean “At this point”?

We’re pretty late in the Xpac and if there’s something you’re trying to unlock there will be a rush by everyone to do so the last few weeks. Just use gear for the iLevel.

When you open up your character there is this eyeball - you just mouse over it and it is an easy way to see the total corruption on your gear and how much your resistence is and what effects you have to put up with.

https://imgur.com/a/ainCUt9