Please remove the cooldown on Soar

Soar would be brokenly OP with no CD in any future expansion where we can’t fly at the start. I think it’s fine as is. Someone compared it to Running Wild, which has niche use. Running Wild isn’t used as primary travel in any area with flying, nor does it gain any mount speed bonuses. Soar should keep its CD in order to make sure it stays as a niche use and not become OP.

Do dracthyr ride dragon mounts?

Just get up and walk around a few minutes, if you have been sitting that long

I hate that I’m on blizzards side with this but the reason for the cd on soar is just nothing but balancing. They know a whole new level of crying and not just on these forums but even the YouTube streamers would poke massive fun at how op soar is to any other racial feature in the game.

Unlike dragon riding you CAN use soar wherever flying is allowed. In beta I soared over SW several times just because it’s fun.

I still think the cd is too long I think 2 minutes is what it should be.

But I understand why they won’t remove the cd.

This is the only thing that should factor in. “Fun” seems like such a secondary consideration in video games these days, WoW in particular.

3 Likes

I agree op and we have a mega thread with a lot of similar posts:

3 Likes

Oh my god. I didn’t think of this. The Dracthyr would be able to fly wherever flying is allowed?! The only class that could do that too is Checks Notes Every other class.

I understand that flying and dragonriding are not the same thing, but wouldn’t the answer be make it normal flying in normal flying areas and dragonriding in the Dragon Isles. Instead of well we don’t want them to have dragonriding outside of the Dragon Isles so lets compromise in a way that makes both sides upset. If the CD is up, Dracthyr can still outspeed someone flying from pet battle to pet battle or whatever it is everyone is worried about. But, the CD is so long that playing through the Dragon Isles as a Dracthyr forces a player to ride on the back of another dragon to navigate their own home.

I would honestly prefer complete dragonriding in the Dragon Isles and no flying capability at all outside of the Dragon Isles.

2 Likes

How about this:
No CD on Soar BUT it’s unusable in current-expansion areas.

1 Like

I find balanced classes fun.

Thank you for saying that class balance should definitely be factored in.

As far as I understand, you already can’t use Soar in areas flying isn’t allowed. If the next expansion area doesn’t allow flying at the beginning, you wouldn’t be able to soar at the beginning either.

2 Likes

Is that supposed to be a “gotcha”? Are you saying that a class having a hypothetical advantage in farming battle pets is detrimental to class balance as a whole?

2 Likes

Nope. Just showing how “fun” is different to different people. There is no universal fun. Just because you might think they are not designing things around fun, doesn’t mean someone else does.

I never brought up battle pets. So please don’t put words in my mouth.

I agree that class balancing is a huge part of the game and is important. I would hope you would agree that the fantasy aspect to the game is also a huge part of the game and is important.

Are you really telling me that treating it like a mount form is really that game breaking? I don’t understand why we are fighting with each other when Blizzard has clear ways to make both sides of the fight happy.

2 Likes

You know which is most important in an MMO?

Class balancing.

You can’t upend class balancing because of fantasy aspects.

That would be a huge break in how every single other racial works in a huge way.

Every other class sans Druid’s can’t fly without a mount and soar is faster than mounted normal flight.

And “OMG you are delusional if you truly think this community would not whine to high heaven for soar to have no cd”

:slight_smile:

I dont get why its not just a mount equivalent lmao.
Mounting time of whatever seconds and you fly like dragon riding.
I dont understand why these college educated devs and Ion cant seem to figure this very BASIC crap out, lmao.

3 Likes

VERY easy fix.
Fast Soar on CD.
Normal racial flight like riding a flying mount, no CD.
problem literally solved.

4 Likes

I would like to see it just turned into a mount-less form of the dragon riding system.

Same resource, skill tree applies to both, same everything.

In non- dragon riding areas, just make it work like normal flight.

2 Likes

Awesome. So your version of fun is more important. This will be a very fruitful conversation.

I would argue that a fantasy of a game is just as important as class balancing. Is Wow really the most balanced MMO? Why are people like Nobbel able to find so much success making lore videos if the fantasy doesn’t matter? Both of these things can come together, along with other things, and appeal to a wide base of people.

Hasn’t been done before <> Game-Breaking. Every race can get a flying mount. In the solution I presented, the Dracthyr are underpowered compared to other racials.

1 Like

Personally I dont even like the race, lol. And even I cant figure out why Ion and crew keep making this crap so stinking complicated.
I have a teenage grandson who loves games who could come up with better ideas than Ion and them do. lmao.

the race has wings…duh…give them “MOUNTED” FLIGHT as a RACIAL with a SPEED BOOST thats on a CD of X.
Jesus christ that was hard to figure out. lmao.

2 Likes