Please remove authenticator group restrictions blizzard

I think there is a technical issue then. I can only join others. I cannot make any groups. There is no autopopulate and creation requires a title which is locked.

Problem is, they’d still just advertise in the other LFG sections instead, using a constant stream of new accounts bought with stolen credit cards. So if you ban one it comes back with a new IP and account anyway.

So, i think DMB is the culprit here. Disable it, reload, the re-enable the DMB addon(s) that are specifically designed for Shadowlands, and you should be able to list a group with an autofilled title. It worked for me.

You are incorrect the authenticator requires a post pay phone number in the accounts home country. There is even a blue post confirming it.

1 Like

Because banks are money-grubbing hustlers who wouldn’t let a little fraud stop them from collecting your paychecks and using them to finance political campaigns.

Blizzard on the other isn’t quite that desperate. In fact, they are doing something for their own sake that just happens to have our best interests at heart.

Banks are insured against fraud, Blizzard probably not so much.

All that said, banks will probably start requiring more stringent requirements and Blizzard will look like they’re ahead of their time.

I cant edit the field even i secure my account with battle net authenticator - Support / Technical Support - World of Warcraft Forums (blizzard.com)

Is this relevant to your problem?

1 Like

It does now. To set up the Auth you have to also set up SMS Protect with it. If you already have the Auth set up, you need to add the phone number to unlock custom raid and dungeon titles.

Same as unlocking the 4 bag slots.

The phone number used has to be registered as a contract cell (not pre-paid), in the same country that your Bnet account is registered to. No VOIP either.

This is the issue - most people don’t realize that they changed all this in Nov-ish 2020.

This can be fixed though - you can work with CS to change the country on your account by submitting the documents for it. Then your new phone will match your new address and country.

2 Likes

That used to be true. They changed it all in late 2020. Setting up the Auth now requires a phone number compatible with the SMS protect system Blizz uses.

Same with unlocking the 4 bag slots and custom title editing.

The SMS protect part takes only phone numbers registered as contract numbers - not as pre- paid. Some services have numbers that are flagged wrong so that can also cause issues. Like Cricket has a batch of numbers flagged as pre-paid when they are actually contract.

1 Like

Just an update when I logged on this am it now auto populates without the authenticator. Idk if it was an add-on or what.

Excellent! So either account flagging needed time to update or it was an addon as you suspect.

1 Like

How would you know? You’ve never done group content by this post alone. lol

Because I used to group in other games.

Hell is other people.

1 Like

That depends if you’re story driven or mechanically driven.

Personally I’m mechanically driven and wanting to take the game to its limits, which involves group play. Dont really care much for the lore after WOTLK.

It depends on the person really. Both ways of playing are completely fine.

I am story-driven! But I don’t care that much about raid lore. All the lore I care about is from soloable quests and that sort of experience. I watch important raid cinematics on youtube, but it’s always the sort of grandiose nonsense that only seems to matter but really doesn’t. A big satisfying climax where a baddie is defeated, blah blah blah. Most of the actual plot comes from earlier cinematics and quest text that occur long before even the dungeon gets tackled, let alone the raid.

2 Likes

wait WHAT? this is absurd.

Edit. Apparently I’m wrong. It requires sms protect which is the silliest thing ever.

NIST guidelines and the guidelines of any intelligent advisory bodies demand SMS not be used as a second factor or channel authentication mechanism due to the inherent insecurity of the protocol and the systems in place.

I have not and never will set-up such a thing because I don’t need another company having my mobile number for no reason (given they don’t even have phone support anymore there’s literally no valid reason for them to have it) given it contradicts security best practices, punches a hole in the authenticator security scheme and compromises my privacy.

It was specifically implemented not long before big CS cuts as a way to… drumroll save costs by allowing people to text their way to account unlocks with nice cheap automated systems instead of expensive people.

5 Likes

That is not accurate.

No, they just changed it. Literally yesterday.

1 Like

yea, their attempt to remove boost spam from group finder didnt even work for one day. you can already see their crap in lfg. this just inconveniences legit players. i mean, really, its an app, like boosters cant install an app, especially now that you’ll soon be able to run android apps on windows.

2 Likes

Oh my bad! Looked it up and yeah, looks like they have indeed changed the process.

Disregard all my previous rantings and snarky remarks - I was wrong!

Don’t really understand why they did it though. The app notification authentication method has works well for years. And you don’t just make a change like this on the eve of soft enforcing MFA either unless you want a lot of angry people knocking on your doors.

Blizzard being Blizzard, I guess.

1 Like

They did it as a measure to combat the constant group finder boost/carry/sales spam. Bots and groups providing ingame services for actual money were so overwhelming that it drowned out the actual player listings in many cases.

I fully support them linking the ability to list custom groups to authorized accounts only. 100% in support.

But…I’m not going to be able to get one without it getting complicated. So I hope they reintroduce the keychain authenticators.

1 Like