Please reconsider your stance on retail/classic reward linking

Ythisens, but if its about prestige, why not let people earn it? if the game is supposed to be at least mostly the same, does it not suck that new fans of the series, are told “you can NEVER get this, unless you break the ToS”

You will be able to earn these rewards-- in Classic! Who said anything about “never” or breaking the TOS?

1 Like

Purchasing a CE version for the game you are currently playing in (ie, Classic, not Vanilla) is 100% Authentic.

So, if Blizzard provides a Classic CE you will have the opportunity to have your authentic moment where you can relive claiming your reward just like you did in Vanilla. That’s what Classic is all about, its not a Monty Haul moment from your BfA bank and collection tabs.

1 Like

You will not be able to unlock them for your current accounts though.

Sure you will! Your current Classic account. Which is the one where it makes sense to get Classic rewards.

What part of “you cannot have universal agreement that Classic is some side thing that’s meaningless if it doesn’t benefit The Real Game, not here, anyway” is hard to understand?

1 Like

Then you don’t want Classic. Classic itself is the incentive.

80 Likes

In other words, you don’t consider Classic to be the “real” game, so you’re not interested in playing it for its own sake. You just want to have stuff to show off over in what you consider to be the real game.

11 Likes

You already ‘diminish’ rewards, as you put it, because anyone can go back and get the items I worked hard for in TBC and Wrath. The items I have, or had, from Vanilla are only special because the content was removed (we don’t need to go into the rights and wrongs of that here). So that argument makes no sense while people can go back and easily obtain rewards from every other old piece of content since 2006. Like I say, nothing special about the 2004-2006 content other than Blizzard disliked it so much they removed it.

Is there anyway you could tell us categorically, if further optional graphic improvements are off the table? Also, were the ones in the demo (modern water, dynamic shadows and animated foliage) just there because they hadn’t been removed yet?

Thanks for any clarification you may give us.

1 Like

Again: Black Market Auction House? If it’s truly just that you want Naxxramas armor, and not that you can’t conceive of any reason for Classic to exist it it doesn’t serve Modern.

1 Like

I would agree with this, except for two problems…

There are things in Vanilla WoW that are no longer available on the current live servers. The most obvious example is gear from the version of Naxxramas that was introduced in Patch 1.11 - Shadow of the Necropolis.

Having a one way link from Classic->Current servers would help bolster and keep populations higher if only for a little while.

The second problem is that once you’ve cleared Naxx and whatnot, there’s really nothing left to do other than PvP. No Heroic/Mythic raid modes. No M+ dungeons. Nothing.

So Blizzard should be looking into reasons to keep people interested and keep them playing.

No they shouldn’t. They’ve already stated that that’s not the goal with Classic. The goal is to put it out, put in the content that was there and let the chips fall where they may. Whether 10 people play or 100,000 people play, Classic will be around for as long as WoW is around. It’s not supposed to be fresh or vibrant or relevant for years to come. Its just intended to exist for its own sake.

This isn’t intended to be a thriving, competing MMO. It’s a museum piece and nothing else.

12 Likes
There are things in Vanilla WoW that are no longer available on the current live servers. The most obvious example is gear from the version of Naxxramas that was introduced in Patch 1.11 - Shadow of the Necropolis.
I have to wonder if some people have all posts with "Black Market Auction House" in them filtered or something.
Having a **one way** link from Classic->Current servers would *help* bolster and keep populations higher if only for a little while.
Except for the _actually interested in Classic for Classic_ players who would be repelled by the knowledge that the game was full of people who were only there to grab certain items and get back to what they thought of as The Real Game.
The second problem is that once you’ve cleared Naxx and whatnot, there’s really nothing left to do other than PvP. No Heroic/Mythic raid modes. No M+ dungeons. Nothing.
A very modern-WoW perspective.

The thing about Classic, is that it dates back to a time when raiding was something a tiny minority of the playerbase chose to do–not the only thing the game was about.

If all you can conceive of playing any game called World of Warcraft for, is raiding, PvP, and Mythic stuff, there’s a game made just for you. Why are you, instead of playing that game, trying to distort this game into something it was never meant to be?

4 Likes

A museum piece that will be a thriving mmo.

5 Likes

All this says to me is that you don’t understand the point of Classic. At all.

11 Likes

That remains to be seen. It could fail utterly. But it would still be there.

1 Like

I’m very confident of it. There’s a reason Vanilla WoW had 8 million players And yes, part of it was timing. Part of it was opening up the genre to more players. Part of it was being more accessible than prior mmos. But a big part of it was…it was just a phenomenal game. It’s a great rpg. It has a way of pulling players in. They get invested in their character and immersed in the world. The community is central to the experience, and reputation forces players to play nice®. I have the utmost confidence it’ll exceed most peoples’ expectations.

And to the people who only want to play it to unlock things for a different game…they’ll fall in love with Vanilla too. It’s never too late to unlearn what you have learned. Sure, not everyone, but most who give the game a fair shot and accept it for what it is. I’ll be there doing all I can to make it as fun as an experience for everyone as I can. I plan to sit in starting areas later on and give out gold, bags, buffs, and help people on their journey. That is what an mmo is about to me.

2 Likes

It’s a terrible philosophy. It’s the same philosophy your team has so desperately tried to kill on the live servers. Everything for everyone. No more prestige, no more uniqueness, no more individuality. No more super elite players, everyone is a champion.

To suddenly turn around and say you care about the prestige of peoples gear and mounts is crazy asinine. What about the people who earned mounts/raid/titles gear back during it’s current time that people can walk back to and one shot these days. What about the prestige of meta achievements when they were at their hardest. Exclusive items that have been re-added.

Lets just put an example out there. The Darkspear revolutionary toys that came with the event that predicated the Siege of Ogrimmar. Items that I thought were exclusive to that event were re-added for every single player to buy.

The flip flop from the development team needs to stop. Caring about prestige and rewards when you feel like it just shows your hand to the player base, and it’s a bad hand.

and all it tells me is it’s going to die quickly, the whole premise does not break immersion, It’s not making cosmetic changes, or ruining gameplay. you just have people acting like snowflakes.

Blizzard has cross promotions between games all the time to promote players to play other games.

I have no doubt that after Naxx is released and they have to start incentive people to keep playing, that there will be some sort of promotion that links classic and retail in order to get people to resub and play both games.

Sure, the appeal of classic right now is because ‘its classic’ but at some point, even the most dedicated of developers have to justify operating costs to the business side. That’s when cross promotion marketing comes in.