Please let us reset our knowledge points

The new system is very interesting and engaging thus far, but there’s ONE massive caveat. In a game like warcraft where you’ve always had some way to reset your talent choices whether it be by class or borrowed power systems and such, why are profession talent trees the only exception?

Without reading any sort of extensive guide, I approached my tailoring like an actual specialization with the initial presumption that anything I did could be reset by some means. Whether it be gold, a quest-chain, a skill learned down the line, or even just abandoning the profession. Now here I am with 75+ tailoring and sporadically placed points JUST NOW finding out it cannot be reset.

Was it my fault I didn’t read the 4000 word wowhead article guide? Totally. But is my fault to assume a system like this would be so unforgiving? /shrug

I don’t normally take professions very seriously, but I wanted to craft the PvP set eventually and I’ve come to find it might take me months to reach that “knowledge” level with my current layout. I’m pretty dumfounded… but mostly upset with myself. I just wish there was some leeway for this system with all the things available in Dragonflight, it feels so unbefitting.

145 Likes

Agreed 1000%. They just need a timer to make it so it can’t be abused. Like 1 reset per month even would be fine. Just enough to allow people to experiment without feeling completely trapped by a bad choice.

47 Likes

Agreed. No reset is a really poorly planned out system. It will need an understandably long cd to reset to avoid abuse, but no reset at all is rough.

9 Likes

I expect it to come in 10.1, it’s very similar to the hassle people had to go to change covenants. Though they might say it’s not “player power”. But yes, I would think maybe do a small quest once per reset to give you all your knowledge back would be fair and not damaging to the economy.

2 Likes

Agreed. Nothing in the game for the past decade has been so punishing to your choices. And everything else in this expansion has been about convenience…except for this. I had no idea, nor did I know you could unlock certain things like being able to gather while mounted if you put enough points into one specialization over another.

When I found out I wanted to move all my points and…oh. I can’t? Why not? Why wasn’t I told that this was the case?

It’s such a shame considering everything else is built to offer convenience and ease-of-use to the player but not when it comes to gathering/crafting.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t say it’s a -major- thing we need, but it’d definitely be nice.

At the same time, I think it could be abused by goblins, considering the only reason I wanna reset my knowledge is to go into a different market for blacksmithing and tailoring.

5 Likes

A reset on it would be easily exploited by anyone with gold saved. You spec fulling into one thing, make 1 mill+ worth of crafts, then respec to another, and make another mill+ worth of crafts.

You think this would be good, but all it would do is kill upcoming crafters, and add a new layer of hassle to established crafters.

Just wait, and eventually we’ll have all the points, so respec would be pointless.

If you want the crafted cloth set, you are actually better off buying it off the AH than making the whole thing yourself. Just make the pieces you are spec’d into, sell a bunch of those, and use the gold to buy the other ones you want.

8 Likes

Honestly, I don’t think it is a good idea. It really hurts those who took the time to specialize in what their server needs. It would stink to be “the guy” that makes X, only to have a bunch of folks switch over to X and swamp the market. it takes away identity.

Plus miss spending points early is fixable in a farmable form by doing the dragon scale expedition things. they give the epic items you turn in for skill points, so worst case a person can just take the time and farm more skill points out.

3 Likes

Indeed.

If the tutorial had pointed out that all future perks were listed on the “spokes” of the wheel, that would have been one thing. Personally, I didn’t even notice that was the case until yesterday.

And yes, I read and watched guides before launch, but frankly, all of them were pretty confusing, and many contradicted each other.

8 Likes

Would absolutely love this, I’m not sure it has that much more potential to be abused than just having alts with other specs (haven’t looked much past LW and Skinning so maybe there’s potential that I just haven’t read about yet) - but if that’s the case, just add a timer or maybe even a profession related resource cost that grows in price similarly to the Classic talent tree. Say you wanna respec skinning, it costs 5x Dense Hide the first time, 2nd time it’s 10, so on so forth with Dense Hide being substituted for a reagent respective to your profession choices. Regardless, there’s definitely ways to do it, and I don’t necessarily think this is game breaking either as you could always just level alts in spare time solely for profession experimentation, but it would absolutely be a nice to have.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t this render the whole specialization thing moot?

What’s stopping someone from specializing in, say, making capes. Then reset their points to specialize in making chest pieces.

I understand your grievances with the current system, but at that point, you might as well get rid of the knowledge points as a whole.

I do agree that the game could’ve displayed the information/tutorial a lot better.

4 Likes

1000% this. Any WOW player is going to spend points incorrectly early because A) they have points to spend so why not sue them and B) EVERY SINGLE precedent in the game is that they can be reset and reapplied. Please fix this.

8 Likes

Agreed, I 100% support a reset. It’s a new, unfamiliar system and even the chance at one reset/month or something would be great. I also found it odd that there’s no way to reset these points when there have been ways to reset point-based systems in the past. Please let us reset!

2 Likes

I also support this suggestion.

I am a Blacksmith and my brother had mentioned that the system is kind of weird and to be careful with my points. So I figured I’d go into the supporting trees to ensure I was getting bonus crafting stats and toolmaking.

The problem I have run into now is that I am at 65 skill and can only craft a tool that requires Artisan’s Mettle, so it will be a long grind for that. Especially if I am looking to save my remaining Knowledge points for the Armor/Weaponsmithing.

And while I do have a few BOP recipes that I got on the AH, they require Spark of Ingenuity and a bucket of Primal Chaos, so it is also going to potentially be months until I get the last 10 points I need to unlock the next specialization.

Sure, I’ll get it all eventually and the Weapons/Armor recipes that I would unlock with those specializations would require the same rare materials. And I mean, I guess I’d be in a similar boat if I just picked Weapon/Armor first. I’d have the stuff I actually want to make, but not have the tools/stats to make good versions.

I guess my frustration lies in the ambiguity of the system and not providing some more details up front (unless I missed it from the npc text). I just recall the old school Weapon or Armor crafting, or the Weapon Specialization quests from Vanilla where you got a popup saying “Hey this is permanent, please make sure this is what you want” ect.

6 Likes

This.

I honestly have access to no recipes. Or at least let me reset quest if I change professions. I Dumped my p9ints into alchemy- only for it to get so bad I just gave up and went inscription.

I want to like the new crafting system, but it’s so terrible and frustrating I just will go back to not crafting at all.

2 Likes

Bump. This system is bogus. You put a few wrong points and you’re locked out. You can’t even unlearn the profession and start over!

6 Likes

Agree that this is very poor design. They don’t have to reset points they can just make it so the other specializations unlock at a combo of 50 skill and 50 knowledge spent.

2 Likes

You guys literally complain about everything. You can eventually max everything out, it will just take time.

5 Likes

Yeah that’s why I’m kinda like eh with a reset. You’re eventually gonna max all, it’s just now was all about what do you want to do at the start of the expansion.

Honestly, I don’t think there is really a wrong spec right now if money is a concern. The market is terrible right now. Like really bad. I’m almost just gonna sell mats because everything is a loss. So I think peeps will feel more comfortable when everything evens out. Just a poor start with everything being new and maybe when raid is out we can start filling our roles better.

1 Like

However, it wouldn’t though if they put a cooldown on the respec of it. Say 30 days or something like that. I just totally messed up with something and am now stuck wasting 15 points that I now can’t fix for a mistake that while I admit it was my own mistake is still a mistake. Pretty harsh.