Please help with terrible lag issue

i feel defeated i dont know what to do, for the past 2 weeks whenever im in a raid i keep getting mini lags. not like an fps issue but like a disconnect issue. i noticed it only happens when some sort of big animation is happening but it makes me dc for like 5 seconds, it happens about every 20-30 sec , i lowered all graphical settings, i have a 2080 ti and can handle wow very well, i lowered about every setting option aswell. i updated all my addons i reset the motem multiple times, i close every app on pc, i want to push raiding content but this is preventing me from doing decent.

2 Likes

Lag has been an issue for many people lately. Blizz will probably ask you for a WinMTR and most likely say it’s packet loss on your end and to go talk to your ISP. But I refuse to believe everyone on the forums is having an issue with their ISP all at once.

It feels like I haven’t been in a single dungeon where people ask “Lag?” and 3 others say “yep” “Oh good it’s not just me then.”. This has been going on for many weeks now.

3 Likes

I think it’s oceanic server or Latin America servers causing it

what do we do then? its been happening to me for weeks only in high stress environments though

Nothing until there’s a fix. Just to humor Blizz I contacted my ISP and they sent a technician out (Which cost me $ btw), he inspected everything and it was all good. Told me if this is only happening in WoW it’s on their end and that they’re probably just saving face until they can find a fix, he said this because it’s exactly what any service provider will do.

Hey there Arkoua,

In order to investigate potential network-related issues between your computer and the game server, we’ll want to have you run a ‘WinMTR’ network test while the problem occurs in-game. Here are the instructions:

1. Download the tool from this page
  2. Enter the game IP into the “host” field. The IP address for our games are listed on the WinMTR instructions page
  3. Start the test and play the game for at least 15 minutes. Ensure the problem happens while the WinMTR tool is running.
  4. After recording the problem data, click “export text” and save the WinMTR file in an easy to find location.
  5. Once you have that made, open the file. You’ll need to copy and paste the contents of the Text document into the post, and put four Tilde (~) marks above the WinMTR. It’ll look like this:
WinMTR goes here

If you have issues pasting here, please use Pastebin and post the link (ex: Pastebin (dot) com/123456).

Bolstridge - As Support, we are limited to troubleshooting with the tools available to us. Ideally, we’d be able to fix every reported issue here on the forums, however, in most cases the underlying problem is determined to be isolated to that individual. Packet loss that is visible in a WinMTR test can be considered evidence of instability depending on the degree and persistence of said packet loss. We request this information to equip you with indisputable evidence so that your ISP can resolve the issue that is affecting their service. There is an abundance of evidence to reinforce that contacting your ISP with a simple network test showing instability is more effective than simply reporting an issue to your ISP with no evidence. If you’d like assistance troubleshooting the issue that you are experiencing, please start your own thread with a WinMTR test that was taken while experiencing the issue in-game.

1 Like

That tech lied to you then. It could be ANYWHERE along the route your ISP uses to get to the WoW servers. ISP’s usually take the route that costs them the least amount of money and not all routes are good for specific things. That is why you are asked for a path ping, a tracert, and a winmtr, to determine where along the route the loss is occurring.

1 Like

Hey! thanks for the response sorry i havent responded. i downloaded the program but where do i find the game IP?

Hey Arkoua,

If you’re wanting to run the WinMTR test while raiding on Thrall, that is a US Central realm so you would want to use the IP: 24.105.62.129

hey so i used the program for about 10 miniutes in a battleground and i had some very bad lag spikes but here is the data please tell me if this is how you want it

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| WinMTR statistics |

| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |

|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|

| Linksys33197.nycap.rr .com - 0 | 1030 | 1030 | 3 | 44 | 3611 | 4 |

| 142.254.211.81 - 15 | 660 | 566 | 0 | 61 | 3645 | 20 |

| agg62.hlmnnych02h.northeast. rr. co m - 1 | 1005 | 999 | 18 | 120 | 3335 | 58 |

| 24.58.34.44 - 1 | 1021 | 1019 | 13 | 58 | 3747 | 17 |

| agg26.rcr01rochnyei.netops.charter .com - 1 | 1005 | 999 | 19 | 69 | 3345 | 26 |

|bu-ether13.tustca4200w-bcr00.tbone.rr .com - 1 | 999 | 992 | 33 | 85 | 3556 | 40 |

| 209-18-43-61.dfw10.tbone .rr.com - 1 | 1000 | 993 | 33 | 84 | 3659 | 58 |

| 24.30.201.81 - 1 | 1009 | 1004 | 33 | 86 | 3651 | 40 |

| No response from host - 100 | 211 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

| et-0-0-1-pe01-eqch2.as57976. net - 1 | 1008 | 1003 | 33 | 82 | 3651 | 37 |

| 24.105.62.129 - 1 | 1012 | 1008 | 33 | 81 | 3654 | 40 |

|____________|||||||

WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

I had to put a space between the coms because it says i cant post links

Looks like the test recorded 3611ms latency spikes to your router while it was running. We don’t usually see this high of latency unless you’re using a wireless connection and there’s instability with the wifi.

Could you try swapping to a wired connection and plug into the router directly?

If that’s not possible, perhaps try swapping to the other wifi band (2.4ghz vs 5ghz) as one may be more stable than the other depending on your setup.

There’s also some minor packet loss that’s happening once the connection jumps to the ISP’s network, indicated by that 1% on the 3rd line. So if the wired connection doesn’t help I’d recommend reaching out to Spectrum to see if they can help investigate that packet loss that’s occurring.

The 15% showing on the 2nd line just looks like that node is configured to not fully respond to the test, so that’s not a true 15% loss.

my entire raid group is lagging rn… we cant prog

So being wired is a lot better? i haven’t really had issues with my wifi all that much in the past few months its only been on wow and specifically in environments with a lot of stuff going on, for example its only in bgs and raids. but i think i am wireless we have the motem downstairs and its connected to my fathers computer in his office, so how could i connect it? is it possible to buy another device that acts like its connected? we also have these base station things that are supposed to help with the internet and we have 1 on this floor down the hall but i guess it doesn’t work. my father was planning on switching iternet providers recently so that may be a go but what exactly is wifi band? im sorry i dont know nearly anything about wifi and connection issues. I will say i talked to a friend about this issue a week ago and i did an online test via google to check my MS i think and i got 30 which he said was incredibly fast. thanks for the support

Hey there Arkoua,

The WinMTR test shows that there is instability occurring within the home network, but it’s difficult for us to be certain what degree the instability is affecting your performance in-game. Note that we do not directly support wireless / WiFi connections, and because of this, we always recommend using a wired Ethernet connection when gaming. In this case, testing a wired Ethernet connection would be the best way to confirm whether the problem is isolated to the WiFi connection. If you find that WiFi is the problem, you will need to contact the support team for the WiFi device or the wireless router, or your ISP for more options.

Alternatively, there are some additional troubleshooting measures that can be taken to isolate what is causing the problems, such as switching the WiFi band that you are connected to. The available WiFi bands supported by most modems/routers will be either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz. If your router/modem supports it, we recommend switching to the one you’re not connected to.

Ultimately, if a wired connection doesn’t fix the issue or isn’t possible, and the troubleshooting steps here have no impact, I recommend contacting your Internet Service Provider (ISP) for assistance determining what is causing the packet loss. They might need to adjust network-level security/firewall settings or temporarily replace the network devices (router or modem) in your home to narrow it down further. Additionally, I always recommend requesting to be forwarded to a “level 2 or level 3 technician” when contacting the ISP since the front-line representatives typically only have access to basic diagnostics and troubleshooting tools.

One last note – while speed tests are useful in getting a general idea of upload/download speeds, speed tests are not a reliable way to measure the latency that you can expect when connecting to online games such as World of Warcraft. This is because the servers which you ping to run these speed tests oftentimes have “priority” with your ISP or ISP’s peering partners, and this results in extremely low but potentially misleading “ping” values. While these ping values provide an accurate latency when pinging that specific speed test server, your connection takes an entirely different route when connecting to different services such as online games, which is why connectivity issues might affect one game, but not another.

I hope this info helps get you back to playing smoothly! Cheers.

1 Like

Most of my raider in Castle Nathria right now also having weird stuttering.

We’re progressing in Council of Blood last Sunday and we have ZERO problem

But right now we all have lags. :confused:

It’s really weird stuttering. Like a “skips” every seconds.

Hmm no I don’t think it’s that.

When I transferred from a US server to an OCEANIC server sometime during Legion, one of the first things I noticed that persists to this day is lag in my WoD garrison, so things like picking up work orders and opening the mailbox.

Then, when BfA came out there was lag sometimes when doing world quest in alliance zones as horde.

Now in Shadowlands it’s everywhere randomly. Sometimes it’s when you’re in the zone with the world boss. If you’re in the zone that has a calling+world boss it’s pretty much game over.

Turning on WM may make the problem go away.

Oh, and it feels very similar to the start of a DDOS, ie you experience lag in game but the latency meter shows a steady 30-35ms ping.

“As Support, we are limited to troubleshooting with the tools available to us. Ideally, we’d be able to fix every reported issue here on the forums, however, in most cases the underlying problem is determined to be isolated to that individual.”

Most of the people in the same raid group is lagging horribly. How is this an individual issue