Please do NOT change Survival to ranged (+ tuning suggestion)

Bold from a 21 hunter

1 Like

Gratz maybe you’ll hit 200 ilvl some day :slight_smile:

1 Like

There’s a difference between valid arguments and being an obnoxious troll.

But you can say something about “12 players” as you sit on an undergeared toon you probably don’t know how to play. Truth is those 12 players win the argument every day because they can log into the game and play their spec.

And btw I support both causes. But you lose the troll argument lol

I mean, this is clearly not true given how popular the spec was and just how different it was to BM and MM. I’m honestly not sure how people can say stuff like this with a straight face. Perhaps if we were talking classic - BC era where its purpose was a lot less clear? But from Wrath forward (until start of Legion) it filled the niche of an archer who dealt damage with magic shots and used whatever tools (traps) it had at its disposal to ensure an enemies’ demise. From a gameplay POV, it’s hunter’s version of Aff lock with MM being much more similar to Destro lock. The two clearly had a different niche and filled different gameplay roles.

I think the history of not only the spec, but the class plays a huge factor in it. Most players didn’t roll a hunter to play a melee at all. Additionally, we’re talking about 12 years (or 8 if you count the start of RSV’s popularity starting in Wrath) of players enjoying the spec. Just as you and many others are not happy with the idea of melee SV being ripped away, nor were a lot more players happy about what actually happened to old SV. This thread is proof that the fear it could happen again is a legitimate one, and not one players should even be having to worry about!

Which is why I always argue they should just make a 4th spec for the old players and get current SV out of RSV’s shadow. It’s a win win for everyone involved. We can have our cake and eat it too.

2 Likes

There used to be a dwarf who used to be really vocal about how bad SV was, arguing vehemently and having a lot of people echo his sentiments.
But after a while it became obvious to me that he never actually played the spec after Legion because he started talking about how bad some of the abilities were, but he was talking about the abilities the spec had in Legion, not BfA/SL.

So I kind of have to ignore the input of some players because it’s obvious they’re not actually familiar with the spec and haven’t touched it since Legion.

@Lazyguide : I say this because even with RSV there were many changes. Changes to traps, then we became the Afflic Hunter, dots dots and more dots, then traps ! Then the escape hunter…heck its hard for me to keep count. Even then, the MM hunters would be upset with the SV Hunters and why could we not do this when they could do that. Explosion arrow comes to mind…

Has anyone really stop and wondered why SV was changed to what it is now in the first place ? Why not BM? Why not MM? Why SV??? Its because they had (DEV’s) a metrics of the spec and the true numbers for it. Do you really think they reached into a hat like a raffle and decided to make the changes ?

At any rate, I seriously doubt its going to go back, nor do I think we will get 4 specs. I honestly believe we should focus on how to make ALL Hunter specs viable, and push forward and upwards.

1 Like

My biggest issue with SV is that it doesn’t feel supported.

I played SV in BfA and enjoyed it, but over time it felt like I was just indulging myself, and if I wanted to actually do well I needed to switch to BM.

When the CD-reducing corruption bow came out, and SV got nothing, I made the switch.
Kind of worried that we’ll see a repeat of that.

1 Like

I mean, that’s not just the community being “toxic”. If you’re building a party for content, why would you not want to take the group with the highest chance of success? Like, if one spec can pull more DPS, is less vulnerable to damage and instagib mechanics and such, bring more control, more burst, and doesn’t have to get right up on the mob’s backside to do anything useful, why wouldn’t you bring it?

I mean, for sufficiently irrelevant content, it doesn’t matter. Which is why groups for stuff like Torghast don’t care one wit that you’re SV. But an M+ group does, and a raid group does, because they actually have thresholds of performance they have to meet. Every DPS you don’t do is DPS someone else needs to do instead.

The identity didn’t change from wrath to WOD, I legitimately haven’t a clue what you’re talking about here. Can you give some examples of how the core gameplay changed within that time frame of eight years?

I don’t recall this being a major issue in the past. Most MM hunters I recall were happy with the spec focusing more so on the physical damage aspect rather than the magic that SV’s damage profile brought.

Ion gave his reasons, there is legitimately no need to wonder why. They viewed MM as being too similar to one another (a view that is very obviously not agreed upon by the majority of hunter players) and they wanted to “bring back” melee hunter, referencing classic to BC. Which totally ignores the fact that it wasn’t a melee hunter back then either. But regardless, if they thought that MM and SV were too similar, they created a similar issue in the eyes of many players as well with BM and current SV. So, they still haven’t exactly succeeded in what they set out to do IMO.

The change was made on a misguided view of the spec and the hunter class as a whole. I do think there is room within the hunter class fantasy for a melee spec, but I find claims of MM and SV being too similar or that SV had no niche to be dubious at best.

I also consistently argue for SV to get the attention it needs. I want the hunter class as a whole to do well. I think part of that is recognizing that how current SV was implemented was a total mistake and needs to be addressed by Blizz. I don’t fault the players who like the current spec, I fault Blizz for deleting a beloved old spec however.

6 Likes

Just gunna copy paste this, cuz it bares repeating.

1 Like

Probably not. I find SL extremely boring which is why I’m as low as I am. But nice try.

Until it gets reverted back to ranged lol

Keep hope alive, brother. Blizz is sure to cave any day now!

I mean, it’s a legitimate possibility given the precedent was set with deleting old SV. I don’t even want current SV to be deleted, but the thread you’re posting in is proof that people have good reason to be worried. The OP felt the need to base the title around the idea of avoiding the mistake they made in Legion again with current SV.

So, I sincerely hope you’re right. But only because I want a 4th spec rather than them repeating mistakes.

3 Likes

I really hope they do add a 4th spec just for you Lazyguide. You’re one of like a handful of folks who can advocate for something without being a toal clot.

3 Likes

As I’ve said before, I’d be ok with a forth spec, I just want my favorite spec back. Game just isn’t the same without it.

4 Likes

It is a possibility, but most of the anti HSV holdouts seem to have barricaded themselves here. The rest of the reddit/youtube/twitter world seems to have lost interest in the debate or come around to the appeal of SV.

I say seems because thats probably what really matters if anything matters. If the hypothetical change is dependent on anything more than the whimsy of a dev team, it will be in response to content creators on youtube, and twitch streamers, not us nerds and reasoned debate.

And when it comes to content creators, there are quite a few who have learned that speaking favorably of MSV and demonstrating its strengths translates to cheap karma/likes/subs. SV fans crave content in that arena, and they are getting it at a pretty steady rate.

For reals.

2 Likes

I’d just like both sides to be happy. The game is in a weird place as is, shame to have a class community so pitted against each other.

Sure blizz has some fault in that, but it also doesn’t excuse some of the behavior.

Edit: I’ll add that I’ve had my share of moments I’ve succumbed to the behavior in the past.

1 Like

I agree. There is only one other area on this forum where fans are so divided, and thats the redeem/kill Sylvanas debates. I admit I frequent those as well. I’m a sucker for controversy.

3 Likes