Please Bring AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution to WoW

Howdy!

I would like to provide a suggestion to the developers and request the communities help if if you have a moment, I know the Dark Portal is almost here but I would love your help! AMD Just announced AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution. I have an RX 5700XT on a 1440p Samsung G7 monitor and the game looks so amazing but at higher settings the game’s FPS fluctuates a bit depending on content. I think this technology would be extremely helpful in keeping graphic quality great while increasing performance. With the GPU market being slammed due to chip shortages I believe this can only help many users who want the best of both quality and performance in World of Warcraft no matter what content they play. I hope Blizzard will work with its partner AMD to bring this feature to World of Warcraft: Shadowlands and other titles such as The Burning Crusades.

Link to announcement: https://youtu.be/gqAYMx34euU?t=1446

To the community, AMD has requested if we want to see this in a game you can request it at www.AMD.com/FSR Please consider taking a moment and sending World of Warcraft to them as a game of your choice.

Keep being awesome and thank you for taking the time to review my post.

11 Likes

They can’t even get Ardenweald to display correctly on Nvidia cards. I have zero faith in this happening with competence.

5 Likes

I haven’t seen an example to know and why play Wow with high fps that is beyond me.

I’ve played during raids from 1080p 60FPS to 2k 144FPS the best way I can describe the impact of higher FPS really comes down to important and busy moments. When the game feels smooth at intense moments this is helpful to me as a player as when FPS sudden drops you suddenly feel it slow down and moving around gets a bit blurrier distracting and impacting the quality of the experience. I know World of Warcraft isn’t a First-Person Shooter but in intense moments raids or out door world boss higher FPS from a feature like this I think help keep the same smooth experience I get when out door questing. I don’t personally PVP anymore though I could imagine keeping FPS high and stable for a smoother experience during huge battles is always helpful.

Now that is just my 2 cents, I’m just speaking from what I know personally and felt myself. Please note in AMD announcement this feature will be available to Nvidia and Intel users as well June 22. I could see this helping Intel HD Users to increase performance while maintaining quality or Nvidia users where “DLSS” isn’t in World of Warcraft. Entry level users on APU, iGPUs or just older GPUs get free* performance boost. **Just like DLSS 2.0 there is still a trade off in quality even if it’s minimal.

From a business point of view supporting this feature allows Blizzard the best bang for their investment time as it helps all users if they choose to work with AMD and put focus on getting this feature into the game.

Thank you.

2 Likes

I know people would love this but we just came off of a bad pandemic and everyone is a little short in the cash department right now,maybe in a while when the economy is back into swing.

Which Nvidia card? Because i’m rocking a GTX 1060 (Still :frowning:) and Ardenweald looks alright last time i check.

Summary

Closing Out Thread

WoW is broken with DX12 on Nvidia cards - massive amount of flickering in some areas like Night Fae land. DX11 is … less broken - I have some pools, like the ones in the Undercity back entrace, show up as black under DX11. Never tried legacy DX11.

If it’s anything like Nvidia’s DLSS 2.0, frankly I believe Blizzard has the expertise to create their own custom implementation that will work on all cards (and OSs).

The tricks used by DLSS 2.0 isn’t that different from TSSAA-type anti-aliasing techniques - e.g. Doom. All involve using information from the previous frames and reprojecting them to the current frame - excluding data that has changed (to avoid ghosting).

Whether Blizzard will bother is a different issue.

1 Like

I’ve been playing on DX12 for quite awhile now. Infact i just went into Ardenweald and i’m still not seeing the flickering issues. Which is why i ask what card does it happen on? Like does it happen on the RTX card with Ray Tracing mode enabled?..

Flickering Textures impacting NVIDIA users maybe related to the known bug listed in Nvidia’s patch notes Here.

[World of Warcraft: Shadowlands]: Random flicker may occur in certain locations in the game
[3206341]

Reviewing the Tech forums using DirectX 11 API (Settings → Advanced → Graphics API → DirectX11) seems to work around it. Older Driver from 2020 didn’t have this issue or using a mix of lower shadow and disabling anti-aliasing may fix it without switching DirectX off Dx12.

I hope this helps if it’s a different issue, I have no clue lol. I don’t have the problem myself. As for Blizzard making it’s own sure but if AMD already did the work partnering with them may save Blizzard time and time is money friends. lol Thanks for at least considering and reviewing my suggestion it means a lot!

WoW runs on Macs though and Macs don’t use AMD nor Nvidia graphics cards.

Also I read up on it, it doesn’t seem to use temporal reprojection … I wonder how good the quality will be. DLSS without temporal reprojection, AKA v1.0, kind of sucked.

That’s probably why you aren’t see it. I’m running with traditional rasterisation on a 1070Ti.

Might wanna do some research.

1 Like

I know the MacBook don’t use AMD/Nvidia. Don’t know about iMacs. Even if they do now, it won’t be long before Apple shifts to using their custom GPU like with the MacBooks.

In WoW’s history, I don’t believe Blizzard has ever implemented support for a feature / use a technology that only works on / is tied to a specific vendor.

How sure are you? On a scale of 1 to 10.

1 Like

Most Intel macs use AMD video chips. Usually discrete laptop GPUs. They also support external GPUs. Without a graphics chip, you would be relying on Intel’s embedded graphics.

The M1 Macs do not. They have 8 embedded graphics cores for processing through Metal.

He knows for sure so probably a 10. Lol

1 Like

They have… they supported 3D on Nvidia back in the day.

And even though I am using an M1 Mac today, I know it isn’t a gaming machine. It will never support all the top features even if I am driving a 4K monitor.

They do it today with ray tracing right? Or can AMD use that now?

AMD 6000-series of GPUs are capable of raytracing, but the game in question has to support it. WoW supports raytracing on both AMD and Nvidia.

1 Like

Those are the one I read about. Probably will be the future direction for Apple including their desktop offerings.

Ray tracing is done via MS’s DXR tracing API I believe so it’s not tied to Nvidia. It’s just that AMD doesn’t have any offerings that can do ray tracing at the moment - to my knowledge; haven’t been keeping up with tech as of late, nowadays I only look when I’m in the market to buy.