Please add "/petattack" support for Fire Elemental

adding something similar to /petattack, e.g. /guardianattack would be very helpful for all guardian related classes.

Feels bad summoning your Fire Elemental and watching it just sit next to a boss doing nothing for 2 minutes.

1 Like

Given Elemental’s overall reliance on Fire Elemental to do good damage and we have an upcoming tier set focused on Fire Elemental I would support either /petattack or even some sort of priority system like our Searing Totem has prioritizing Flame Shock’s target.

There are a couple givens I will be operating within:
It is clear that Blizzard understood the importance of snapshotting as Fire Elemental’s inherited SP from the Shaman increased from WotLK to Cataclysm.
The most spellpower is at the beginning of the fight when the internal cooldowns of your trinkets, racial, gloves, potion and cloak line up.

List of bosses and issues faced in T11

BoT:
Halfus: Fire Elemental will get stuck on Proto-Behemoth because of the raining fire, counter play is intentionally not interrupting Halfus and dropping Fire elemental immediately before letting a Shadow Nova go off (great way to not have a raid spot).
Valiona & Theralion: Fire Elemental sometimes gets stuck on Valiona when she transitions to air, it won’t melee but will hit with spells. Same can happen with Theralion meaning there is no counter play.
Ascendant Council: Dropping Fire Elemental on Feludius and Ignacious has him fixate on one and not reset to totems when next two bosses come down. Because they’re out of melee range this shouldn’t happen. Counterplay is saving for p2 but runs antithetical to the idea of snapshotting.
Sinestra: When summoned in P3 Fire Elemental will consistently attack whelps even when summoned in melee range meaning you need to dismiss him as that is a controlled burn and you grief the raid. Counterplay is waiting for all whelps to be dead causing the snapshotting potential to be very low.

BWD:
Magmaw: Fire Elemental can jump targets to Lava Parasites because of AoE ticks on their spawns. This makes the elemental useless if you’re doing the kiting strategy.
ODS: Fire Elemental will attack targets with shields and when that target goes inactive will go to next target which is second activated mob meaning it also has a shield, it actively hurts the raid to use one of our best damage abilities on this fight. A switch to even swapping to the third target would be an improvement.
Maloriak: While Fire Elemental will swap to Vile Spew because of AoE ripping threat on spawn this is more expected and if it lives it’ll eventually return to boss. The problem is it will hang out on the abominations while they take reduced damage making it lose most of the beneficial effect.
Atramedes: No issues
Chimaeron: No issues
Nefarian’s End: Fire Elemental will rip threat on Animated Bone Warriors and when tank taunts them out he will leave.

Throne:
Conclave: Issues on this fight are expected due to switching platforms so disregarded
Al’akir: In phase 2 similar to other add fights Fire Elemental will switch to the Stormling due to their AoE damage. You can’t outplay this because even if you drop it far away the add can spawn on the Fire Elemental.

This ignores other issues with Fire Elemental like it not receiving full mitigation due to incorrect flagging of AoE abilities in raid environment.

5 Likes

Learn to use your spell correctly.

1 Like

You’ll actually notice if you can read logs, that Fire Ele isn’t meleeing correctly on either of those fights you posted.

iirc that was the actual logic of how fire ele is actually suposed to work (with flame shock target), was this a later introduction?

1 Like

In MoP Fire Elementals become pets with a talent so they work using /petattack. I couldn’t find any documentation regarding that working prior to that though.

1 Like

Linked logs above proving that is false. Shamans just have to position their totem to be in range of boss. The logs that didn’t have ele hitting boss you can clearly see the shaman didnt drop their totem in range in the replay. This is a case of Git Gud, not “shaman needs a buff”.

If only there was some way to time and position activating fire ele…another case of Git Gud, as logs show people getting full duration melees during the fight as ele.

https://classic.warcraftlogs.com/reports/nqYJwzAd984f1ByF#fight=31&type=damage-done&source=22
Would you look at that, an ele shaman got it to work on Ignaceous. I wonder what they did that other shamans are not…another case of Git Gud it seems

Elemental Shamans are already strong. Lowering their skillcap further because people don’t know how to time/position their totems just buffs the class for less skilled players…which they don’t need(already easy to play).

1 Like

Bro what??? They both clearly show melee dmg hits…

you notice that they stop meleeing before the ele dies?

I understand nuance is hard but if you’re going to be demonstrably false you might as well just be silent. An elemental randomly targeting isn’t skill cap, it isn’t bearweaving from wotlk. They’ve also previously addressed this issue with FDKs.

You’ll also notice that in the link you just posted in response to me that the elemental shaman is running 31/3/7 which means they have a 2m 40s duration elemental because they’re running 2/2 totemic focus, but are only getting damage for 2 minutes meaning it isn’t working. Again, either learn to look at the logs or stop negatively contributing.

I’d love to see some real world applications from you about the skill required to get the elemental in the correct place since you’ve already linked me the #1 allstar ele who has the same issues we’re discussing here.

If you want to look at a breakdown of the elemental feel free to click on the totem in the damage breakdown and you can see it. You’ll see on the Halfus you’ve linked that he does 14 melees in 2m 30s of uptime. Since his swing timer isn’t 10 seconds we can tell that he isn’t consistently swinging, you can also tell that by clicking on the “melee” section and checking when he stops doing it. You can even see the total uptime of him, compare the talent distribution for that fight to the Ascendant Council which you held up as further proof of it working and see that the uptime isn’t the same with the same talent distribution.

6 Likes

You notice they still do significant dmg and remain doing dmg on the boss for full duration?

Git Gud imho

So your argument for something not working at 100% is “well at least it works 90%”? Unsure you should be allowed to ever speak on class balance.

5 Likes

People taking pride in their Fire Elemental “skill” is probably the worst thing I’ve seen on the WoW forums in awhile

Total losers

2 Likes

as long as the Fire Elemental is not considered a pet, it’s just a glorified DoT with a 10m CD. imagine the uproar if fire mages put their combustion on a target and it just stopped dealing damage half way through the timer because the boss got out of range of you?

5 Likes

You first.

You’re not even close to being good at this game.

2 Likes

I get its trendy to troll the forums but defending bad pet AI is probably the lowest form lol

3 Likes

No, the argument is there are shamans making it work, so what are they doing that shamans who can’t make it work aren’t doing…

As I said, it’s a case of Git Gud not “please lower the skill cap because I can’t position”.

Cope more and learn to position your totems correctly. :skull:

1 Like

Bro you got eviscerated by that guy who explained the logs to you, there are not shamans making it work. If it’s hanging out at the totem doing nothing, that is an issue of placement. If it is staring at a flying target rather than meleeing a target on the ground, and that ground target is in range, it’s not a matter of placement. You’re wrong and nobody agrees with you. Fire ele needs to be less dumb, or not be >20% of our damage so it’s not such a buzzkill when it doesn’t do what it’s supposed to.

It should just preferentially attack our flame shocked target, easy fix.

Also, you would be happy I’m doing loot council this phase, not gdkp.

6 Likes

If they did this they’d have to give frost DK and pally with guardian of ancient kings the same treatment, so all in all it isn’t going to happen. They aren’t “pets”.

I caused a wipe on Omnotron Defense system because fire ele kept attacking magmatron and killed the sheild. seems like a pretty simple fix. Show that shaman class some love.

2 Likes