Playing Devil's Advocate

I’ve observed both Alliance and Trade chat and have seen both complain about boosting services and bots. Everyones only has themselves and their choices. That being said…

The environment seen in the game isn’t solely blizzard and it isn’t solely gold farmers or boosting services. A lion’s share of the responsibility rests on the shoulders of the players (that’s you guys).

In a game where you can solo classic content in retail, it is still somehow necessary to gatekeep content in classic (which I find ridiculous, as stated… can solo in retail). Boosting exists because it’s a necessary evil: Blizzard’s gaming community isn’t known to be one of the best and not everyone has time to deal with the toxicity and general immaturity of selfish players. Same thing goes with the gold farmers. Some people value their time and would rather have the money they earn and spend go towards their hobby and work for them as opposed to the other way around.

Guild drama, ninja-looting, gatekeeping… not all players who played when original classic rolled out now have the time nor the patience to put up with any of it (especially if they had done so before). Some people would rather pay money NOT to put up with it and guess what? They’re right to do so.

Think… There’s enough drama and nonsense going on in reality, who wants to log in and be a volunteer babysitter for the Peter Pan complexed gamers or the unsupervised children who only do nothing but whine, complain, and do their best to be as obnoxious and as toxic as possible?

The playerbase is every bit as responsible individually as it is a whole. Perhaps before people pipe up and complain about the issue, perhaps should instead ask first what they’ve done themselves and a community to remove the necessity of these services. Who have you helped lately? Does your behavior reflect the gaming community you’d like to see when you log in? Do you give other players chances for content if you run a successful raiding guild?

What you’re seeing are the symptoms of a much bigger problem: YOU.

You can’t necessarily blame someone in… let’s say… Singapore… farming for gold at 0.50 cents USD per gold when there’s a demand for it and bills have to be paid. In my eyes, they’re actually doing more for themselves (such as paying their bills and feeding their family) and others (by allowing them to gain access to gatekept content by giving them the option to buy their way in) than the current generation of gamers who complain about the environment they’ve created and are nurturing.

Merely an observation that had to be stated and perhaps a reality check for those who do little else BUT whine and complain.

In the end, your own actions and the health of your community is in your hands. What you see is only a symptom of a larger problem and nothing more.

Some people actually value their time and enjoyment over having to put up with toxicity and gatekeeping. For that, I can’t rightfully blame them.

just something to think about. Until next time!

waves

1 Like

TL:DR
Summary please.

1 Like

Nope.

It’s all there. Take the time to read it and understand it. It’s not going anywhere.

Players will always gravitate toward the easiest path, even players that dont want to, will feel pressured to, else they fall behind their peers, or feel at a disadvantage. The solution isnt for players to “just not do it”, the solution is for blizzard to moderate their game and apply fixes to degenerate gameplay mechanics

3 Likes

And that’s how retail happened.

Not disparaging retail. Just saying.

Disagree. Retail has plenty of degenerate gameplay that hasnt been fixed, and a lot of the pay to win culture stemming from the wow coin, that blizzard themselves fostered is what carried over to classic.

Don’t blame the players for the company not putting in the work to make the game functional, or not moderating bots and terrible behaviour.

1 Like

I disagree.

in some aspects this is correct, the players could be more active in resolving the issue if they wanted, we could choose to not buy gold, we could choose to not do GDKPs, but blizzard should also make a larger effort to stop botters and sniff out gold sellers.

Right, but when gold sellers and gold farmers inflate the economy, and botters eat up all the world resources like mining and herbing, and mote farming, then you as a player are left with very few options for making gold. You basically need either a mage or a paladin to farm instances for raw gold (which just adds to the problem by further inflating the economy) or by participating in gdkps. Its not always as simple as just choosing not to participate, when not participating is actively made more difficult by the current state.

Not that im advocating for gdkps, I have personally made it a stance to NEVER participate in a gdkp, but i also have 0 interest in classic raiding, because its boring 15 year old content, I’m here for the rp, and the pvp, y’know, the things grob used to be famous for.

3 Likes

Agree on the raiding content.

You can solo it in retail. If you played during the initial roll out, you’ve done it all before and see the gate-keeping is just for the sake of validation; which makes it a toxic and pathetic endeavor.

Asking Blizzard to fix community issues is how we got retail in the first place.

In the end, Blizzard’s community doesn’t actually want solutions. They want something to complain about because if these issues were solved, nobody would have anything to talk about.

This is why I have the same disdain towards the players Blizzard does.

Don’t even get me started on the PR nightmare they faced and the virtue signalling backlash from the player base either.

Believe me when I tell you that much of the player base wouldve revelled alongside some of the devs in the cosby suite if the opportunity and pay was there.

Callous and cold but true to the touch.

Just look at the recent debacle with thirtynine thieves and their gm in the grobbulus reddit and tell me this isn’t true.

1 Like

i actually did the raids because i started in wrath, got to experience it got the shirt lol, i was also mostly around the the RP and pvp of ol’ grob mob so i never messed with gdkps, didnt need to personally

Yeah

Yeah, I did the same for Nax (i also started in wrath), but I’ve cleared the TBC raids in retail enough that I didn’t care for it. Nax was sort of a special snowflake since original nax was always hidden, and I always wanted t3 priest, but it was gone before I ever got a chance to get it. I finally managed to get it now though, so I was pretty much done with raiding at that point.