Playing alone vs a guild

Who here prefers to be alone in the game?

I was an officer of a guild and owner of the guild discord for two weeks and became friends with the gm.

Last night i logged on and decided the best course of action was to relinquish the ownership of the discord and pass it to another officer who could handle discord and stepped out of the guild.

I realized none of the people in guild were friends and feel more comfortable going solo in game and pug everything. I get in and get out without having to be friends with anyone.

I guess im wierd that way.

17 Likes

Other than grouping for ZM elites and world bosses I do everything else solo these days.

I’m much more comfortable on my own schedule, answering to no one save myself.

Edit to clarify: the guild I am currently in consists of only my own characters.

28 Likes

I’m like this too. My Druids in a guild (this one too, eventually) but I rarely take part in Guild activities unless someone asks me. The only non-solo thing that I do is Arenas…until rated Solo Shuffle is released.

2 Likes

I used to be this way. And I am this way still. But I found some friends that I like so I can play with them and when I want to be alone, I play alone for sometime. I can do both now which I am happy about. It also helps if the people are friendly and nice. If you group or find toxic people then that’s a different story.

2 Likes

Have been playing solo since the end of Mists. I was previously in a guild that was running raids and content casually but decided they wanted to be a progression guild. To remain, you had to have Gold Proving Grounds in all of your specs. So I quit as I really do not like playing Resto or Balance. I haven’t found a guild that I could just join since.

I don’t think the Mists guild lasted through Warlords.

3 Likes

Most of the guilds on most of the servers that I am in are so dead that I might as well not be in a guild anyways.

4 Likes

I havent been in a guild that wasnt just alts in a decade or more. And I do that for the shared bank space and gold.

5 Likes

Sometimes I think about joining a guild, but I remember that I never end up doing anything with my guildmates anyway.

I’m far too antisocial for actual group content lmao.

4 Likes

I’m in a casual guild and though it’s good to have people to chat within game, I do play solo because 1) I like going my own pace. And 2) My hours are bizarre and not many people are up at 3am.

2 Likes

Just because you aren’t in a guild doesn’t mean that you’re alone.

The only thing you really need a guild for is Mythic raiding.

2 Likes

I group with my brother and we level up (at launch) and pug our mythic+. Outside of that I play alone. I did the guild thing once and it was worse than middle school. The drama, fighting, cliques, stealing, weird requirements, harassment etc. No thanks. Life is better without all that noise.

8 Likes

:raising_hand_man:

2 Likes

Leave the guild. My guild is wonderful and more wonderful for being Brazilian.

1 Like

I am alone in the game. The guilds I am in are both mine. I am the only one in them. All my alts… I even have notes on them and people still apply to the guilds. I don’t want to deal with the headaches of dealing with herding cats. Been there, done that.

1 Like

Are they listed in Guild Finder? I think if you’re not listed you won’t get apps.

1 Like

A question for those that say they prefer to play alone:

What about WoW or even just MMOs appeals to you over a single player RPG or other single player games?

Just pure curiosity.

1 Like

Wows combat system is better. The dungeons are better. The world is gorgeous. The lore (older stuff/books) is great. I didn’t start out playing alone, but chunks of the community are childish petty individuals that drive me too it. I still enjoy it over other games regardless.

10 Likes

If you’re playing alone and you’re taking on an entire guild it’s probably not going to go well.

For doing quests and such I prefer to be solo.

There are other times when I may want to socialize and RP so the option exists.

1 Like

I was in a guild until Cata Start.

We all kind of went separate ways when that expansion dropped and tried other MMO’s out there. There were so many other games out then, LotRO, Swtor Beta, Warhammer Online(which had better PvP and better classes IMO than WoW), Champions Online(also great PVP), heroes Online, we tried everything. After we defeated Arthas as our core unit we all just had spent enough time grinding the raid scene.

Cata dropped and seemed even worse in the grinding and raiding department.

Since we all split up I haven’t had a guild. I’ve joined but honestly, I dont have any sort of relationship with anyone in this game anymore. I had a raid team a few years ago from Temple of Sargeras through Uldir. Then that team broke up due to early BfA just being a not fun time. (Heart being lame, Azerite gear being stupid.)

I like meeting quality people and helping but as far as having a guild? No, I’ll just play solo and do what I can.

2 Likes