Players getting on & off boat before it's docked on my screen

Hello. When I take the Feathermoon ferry I can tell players are running off the boat and on the boat before it even docks on my screen. Then when it docks on my screen and I run on the boat, the people who ran on before it was docked are there waiting on the boat. So I waited for a person to start running off and I ran with them and I fell in the water while they made it safely on the dock.

My ping was around 40. Any ideas?

Hey, Anuisance! It sounds like there’s some huge delays with the connection that’s causing the behavior or people getting on and off the boats before it’s docked. Would you be able to try an alternative connection or VPN to see if the same problem happens?

Even though the ping is stable, it may not always determine if there might be some sort of connectivity issues or delays. It could be other things, but connection is definitely the first thought with this sort of behavior. Let’s try ruling out and narrow down the issue a bit first :slight_smile:

Let’s gather a WinMTR file until the problem occurs for 10 to 15 minutes. Copy and paste the text file created and paste it between two ~~~ like so:

~~~
WinMTR Here
~~~

If you have issues pasting here, use Pastebin and post the end of the link. (ie. 123456 for pastebin.com/123456)

I tried a VPN and the same thing occurs.
Also, on my screen at times it will show a paladin on their mount even though they are walking next to me and some times characters will be running side ways or backwards.

Here’s the WinMTR

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |

|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |

|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|

|                                10.0.0.1 -    0 | 1204 | 1204 |    0 |    0 |    5 |    0 |

|                         142.254.157.137 -    0 | 1204 | 1204 |    8 |   21 |  251 |   10 |

|         po63.pctnoh1602h.midwest.rr.com -    0 | 1204 | 1204 |   13 |   56 |  468 |   23 |

|                            24.33.101.94 -    0 | 1204 | 1204 |   12 |   26 |  235 |   19 |

|         be12.pltsohae01r.midwest.rr.com -    0 | 1204 | 1204 |   15 |   30 |  242 |   25 |

|         be25.clmkohpe01r.midwest.rr.com -    0 | 1204 | 1204 |   18 |   35 |  245 |   28 |

|bu-ether31-vinnva0510w-bcr00.tbone.rr.com -    0 | 1204 | 1204 |   27 |   44 |  249 |   39 |

|bu-ether11.chcgildt87w-bcr00.tbone.rr.com -    0 | 1204 | 1204 |   27 |   42 |  265 |   33 |

|                            66.109.5.225 -    0 | 1204 | 1204 |   27 |   42 |  247 |   32 |

|                            66.109.9.149 -    0 | 1204 | 1204 |   27 |   45 |  248 |   33 |

|              ae1-br02-eqch2.as57976.net -    0 | 1203 | 1203 |   27 |   76 | 1566 |   31 |

|         et-0-0-1-pe03-eqch2.as57976.net -    0 | 1204 | 1204 |   26 |   44 |  286 |   41 |

|                           24.105.62.129 -    0 | 1204 | 1204 |   28 |   42 |  247 |   36 |

|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

7/18/2020 - So, the help ends there huh?

Hey, Anuisance! Sorry for the delay, I wasn’t in office when the WinMTR test came in. Thank you for including the test and additional details :slight_smile: All of the details provided so far does point this to being a connection issue with the sideways/backwards walking and the boat delays. For the VPN, have you tried different locations if its an option to test?

There isn’t any packet loss here, but it is showing some latency spikes once it leaves the home network.

This is the charter peering network and the high latency persists throughout the test, but the average latency looks fine at around 80ms. It’s a bit hard to say what exactly is causing the problem here, it could be there’s a problem between the exchange from the home network to the ISP or a problem with the ISP peering network, which would explain if the VPN also experiences the same problem since it doesn’t bypass the home network. There’s a few steps that may help if the system or home network is causing the issue.

• Try resetting the network settings on Windows.

1. Click on the Start Menu
    2. Select on the Settings :gear: option.
    3. In the Windows Settings, click on “Network & Internet”
    4. Near the bottom of the new window, click on “Network Reset”
      Try again, and if it persists, try rebooting to help with the changes made from the Network Reset.
  • Try an extended reset on the home network. If you leave everything unplugged for 30 minutes or so, this should create a new session ID with the ISP, rather than connecting to the same session ID on the 1 minute cycle. Since it does take awhile, I’d recommend doing this when you’ll be away from the computer and internet for a bit.

• This steps a bit advanced, but may help if there’s mitigation or prioritization of the connection packets on the home network. Check for the following settings in the router and disable any that are enabled:

• QoS (Quality of Service)
    • WMM (Wireless Multimedia)
    • UPnP (Universal Plug and Play)

The settings for these can vary from depending on the device model. It’s not something that we help with directly because the settings and locations can vary. The router manufacturer or Internet Service Provider (if the router/modem was provided by them) can help look for these settings.

If the problem continues, would you be able to try an alternative connection like a mobile hotspot or tethering to test? This should bypass the home network unlike the VPN that only changes the connection route and DNS. It doesn’t bypass the system network, but it should help narrow down the issue a bit further.

Thank you for the reply. I tried everything you mentioned in the post.
I did the reset on home network last.
Changing the QoS, WMM, and UPnP seemed to help some. The boat would get closer but it was still at a distance. When I used my cell as a hotspot it also improved but still was a little away from the dock but my connection is iffy for cell service.
However, I think the big game changer was the reset on home network by unplugging everything for 30 minutes, I just unplugged it when I went to bed and plugged it back in when I woke up. So far during my testing, it seems to have fixed the problem. I’m hoping it continues to work.

Thank you for your help.

1 Like

Sorry again for the delay! It seems that we’re catching each other on different days. I’m glad to hear that the resetting the devices completely seemed to help :slight_smile: I’d guess there was some issues with the session ID with the ISP or this helped clear some cache from the network devices.

If it seems to come up again, please let us know!

Well unfortunately it has started again.

Any advice on how to communicate what is wrong when I call my ISP?

I’m sorry to hear, Anuisance :confused: From what seemed to have fixed it before, it sounds like there was a caching issue. The device may not be caching properly after a few days and may need to be configured properly.

I’d recommend to provide the WinMTR tests to the ISP to have them check it out. The frontline representatives may not be able to diagnose the connection test properly, so try to be cooperative and run through some troubleshooting with them (even if you’ve already tried it). Ask them to check both the signal and lines of the connection. If the router/modem was provided to you, see if a replacement can be provided or see if a technician can be sent to check things out on the home network. If it seems that they are not reading the connection test properly, point out where the issue is starting and see if you can escalate the issue to a higher tier representative to check out the issue.

Hopefully, this helps with an easier process when contacting the internet provider. If you want us to check out a new connection test, feel free to throw a new one in here!

Sooo I’m not sure if this can cause the issue but it must since it seems fixed now.

I have two monitors, one via hdmi and the other by dvi. I noticed when I play the game on hdmi one and watch hulu on the dvi one…When I refresh hulu or a new episode is starting the hdmi monitor goes black than comes back seconds later.

So I ordered some display port to dvi cables for both monitors and the black screen has stopped but also people getting on and off boats before it docks on my screen hasn’t happened since either. And I will say it was happening before I changed the cables too because I test it out every now and then.

Interesting, Anuisance! Thanks for keeping us updated. It seemed pretty specific and it’s weird that the problem went away before too. It may have been some data transmission related issues with the previous cables. I’m not sure how long you’ve been testing this for, but let me know if it comes back again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just wanted to give an update so far…the issue is still fixed and has not repeated itself yet.