Players and npcs slow loading, sound and animation delay, long load times

Since DF pre patch the game is completely unplayable.

Loading screen takes about a minute. When I load into the world, city or instance all npcs and players can take up to 3 minutes to show. In instances this makes it almost impossible to participate. In addition to that, spell animations and sounds don’t happen immediately but will all happen at once when the fight is completed. Granted, I’m in a 2013 iMac 27 inch but I’ve seen the same issues on modern systems being reported but ignored and the thread locked.

Anyone have any solutions? I unfortunately can’t foresee myself moving forward with my subscription without a fix as even going out and purchasing a new iMac doesn’t seem to be viable for these issues.

Thanks

5 Likes

Can blame the new and improved (not really) CASC version 3 that dragonflight uses. Now with even longer loading times thanks to new tech for encryption to combat datamining.

The format is radically inefficient, and can slow loading times even on fastest of drives. Now add in fact many older macs are still using HDD or hybrid HDD/SSDs, and you get the problems you have now with loading times.

Only half work around is to get an ultra fast external SSD and load wow onto it, but even then it’s still gonna have load pop-in and loading times of several seconds when there shouldn’t be with a proper efficient data format.

4 Likes

I have the same issue you have described.

I’m running WOW in a 2017 iMac 27 with Fusion Drive + 24gb memory ram.

Insanely slow loading screen… NPCs, ground spells, world, everything takes forever to load.

2 Likes

Keeping this thread going. Thanks for all the replies so far. Ive seen a slight improvement (maybe 30%) since my last post in some instances and more spells and sounds in general not lagging. But overall its still not smooth enough for me to confidently re-sub as much as I want to enjoy the new content.

1 Like

Todays patch should improve initial load in on SSDs when large hotfix databases exist.

HDD users are still mostly SoL because it’s a file system speed problem there.

2 Likes

Any word on Mac OS fixes with the new Ventura update yesterday?

1 Like

It should, but now my Mac Wow won’t launch. Crashes every time.

2 Likes

I’m starting to feel like I’m going to have to get a PC if I want to continue playing. Before last week’s patch (and the week off due to the bug for Macs) the game was at least playable, even though some things took a bit longer to load, like in Valdrakken or around the Soup pot in Iskarra. So yay, today we can finally play again, and I can barely see anything. Takes minutes to load. I landed right in the middle of a rare and had no idea, and the corpse didn’t load for at least a minute after it died. Even turning my graphics down so nothing is remotely pretty has helped. It makes me sad, because I’m a Mac person forever, but I want to actually be able to see what I’m doing. If I get a fast external hard drive to load the game on, I wonder if it would at least get me through this expansion?

1 Like

Just to confirm, the suggestion to load wow from an external drive has definitely improved the issues I was having. So far so good. Not perfect but no complaints.

2 Likes

I had the slow loading problem on my 2012 (!) MacBook Pro. I swapped out the drive for a 2TB Crucial SSD ($107 @ BestBuy) and now it works perfectly. Hearth takes less than 10 seconds with full NPC, players and environment loaded.

1 Like

I was worried about latency in Thailand where we moved last year, now this!
My iMac: 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 and 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4.
Not an IT expert, is this playable now?

THIS! Also moved my wow folder to a Samsung SSD 1TB that cost me less than 100 bucks and WOW has been running smoothly.