Player proves you can determine your layer with /who (proof inside)

Proves nothing?
The z- filter specifies that you are filtering for Zone.
Without it, it is using Orgrimmar as a keyword for various items.

4 Likes

Disclaimer: I would like the OP to be wrong, for the sole sake of the system not being too broken.

With that being said, I am still confused. I understand what you are saying here, but the 2nd set is only people from Orgrimmar (i.e. we can not say that "oh, 2nd set is larger because there are also players that have a name close enough to Orgrimmar so maybe the fuzzy search actually matched their name too). So, to me, 2nd set is obviously a super set of the 1st one (i.e. people from the current “layer” plus the others that are in Orgrimmar).

2 Likes

Like what other items? It seems like all it filters is other players from the same Orgrimmar zone. Why didn’t the first query pick those up as well?

1 Like

Basically, my question is this: if all the players in the 2nd query are truly in Orgrimmar (as the UI shows), and Orgrimmar is a “Zone”, why isn’t the 1st query picking them up as well?

2 Likes

It has nothing to do with layers…

First one only count players in the zone Orgrimar.

Second one would count all players in the zone Orgrimar or with Orgrimar in there name or players with Orgrimar in the guild name etc.

Also doesn’t help that the shots appear to be taken at different times.

4 Likes

Again, their Zone is still Orgrimmar. If there would have been other players, outside of Orgrimmar in the 2nd set, I would understand. The 2nd set clearly contains more players that are in the Orgrimmar Zone, correct? Why aren’t these in the 1st query?

2 Likes

What Kelzar said.
Plus, unless these searches are verified that they were ran within 100ms of each other, I don’t buy it either (due to high traffic since Classic was released like a week ago)

1 Like

This is the only explanation I would buy at this point, other than the layering dispute.

1 Like

First pic looks like he is in orgrimmar second one he seems to clearly be in tb

1 Like

Yeah, I’m going to believe some player who doesn’t understand how the search has always worked versus Blizzard who made a very direct, very explicit statement today.

6 Likes

ALSO:

The same thing applies to world chat. For example, your Barrens chat is only from people in your specific layer, not from all layers. You can use this information and compare against others and instantly build an index of which layers exist and who is in what.

You can give it a test and it absolutely works.

Blizzard needs to fix this, acknowledge it is an exploit, reverse gains, and suspend/band those who exploited it INCLUDING the streamers who provide Blizzard with massive free advertising.

4 Likes

This is false.

Your stated commands don’t match the screenshot (Origrimmar) and there is no indication of time difference when you did the command. When I test in Darkshore for example within 1 second the same results are returned.

8 Likes

Chat thing is false for me. General Chat for stormwind, chatted with someone. DIdn’t know they were in different layer until they invited me into a group.

3 Likes

I will play around with this tonight as well. Just curious. I am not trying to believe X or Y (including a massive corporation that is controlled by an even bigger greedy one), I am just trying to reason through how this works (if it even works). Will try to get as accurate of an experiment as possible, considering the latency between 2 scans…

3 Likes

Interesting, thanks for reporting. Is it possible to take some screenshots with the in-game clock / playtime command or something as evidence, please?

3 Likes

Layering needs to go.

It doesn’t matter if their are exploiters or not

Layering is blizzard trying to save money🤥

4 Likes

Wow! A well put together post for sure. I would love to hear what Blizzard has to say about this. Thanks for doing all the research and writing, you should be a QA employee at Blizzard :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I miss video games before lamers exploiting constantly.

4 Likes

No - I really wanted to see an in-game clock / at least same background for those 2 queries. There are a few unanswered questions with this experiment…

3 Likes

It seems to me that it would be very stupid of OP to have fabricated this evidence. If that is the case Blizzard could very well take action towards him for wasting their time. Also, it seems he doesn’t gain anything by bringing this up, he could be playing the game but instead he is doing these posts. But I’m not 100% sure, it will be interesting to see how Blizzard responds to this.

3 Likes