Player Agency and Covenants

But if I’m playing my paladin and want to spend a weekend messing around with a cool spell they put in what is wrong with that? I want to use all the cool toys they have added onto the game but I can’t. The best bit is that for me to have access to all the toys doesn’t take a toy off someone that likes to only have one toy.

All of the players that dislike the system understand this. We’re voicing the fact that we feel punished to have another layer of restrictions put into the game when we already have class, faction, and race restrictions.

sorry, i refuse to give a meaningful answer (which would be a first anyways) to a Vulpera with the word furry in his name. ehhhh, no.

Says the gnome???

Is avoidable because they could change their direction.

They certainly have with many other systems.

#furrylivesmatter

Remove the player power from the covenants and make it even harder to change/go back to covenants :slight_smile:

That would definitely be one way to go about fixing the issue.

Would you put the “power” in a new talent row-type of setup?

It’s a perception thing really. Rather than seeing your covenant ability as a bonus, you see that someone else has a different ability (that you don’t have) and you see it as punishment, or making you less powerful. This was the case with titanforging. Rather than seeing it as a bonus, people felt punished when they got the loot they earned.

You aren’t expected to change class, race, or faction every pull in the raid because you can’t. Covenants will be no different. If you can change them, you’ll be expected to all the time. This goes totally against the story.

1 Like

That’s not accurate. I never minded titanforging for that reason and don’t really care about what other people have/do/get.

I care that my ability to make choices (player agency) is limited. If I want to try something new and experiment - I get punished when I’m done. this can be for the sake of optimizing in M+/Raid/PvP or it can just be to do something different and add some diversity into the game.

I did see forging as a bonus for others.

I don’t care of what I’m “expected” to do. I’m just trying to have fun and play the game with all the systems it has without any more restrictions and punishments that already exist.

If you can change them - people can stick with whatever they like. Just like people do today.

1 Like

We don’t know what this entails. We do know you get to try out all 4 before choosing. We do know your choice isn’t permanent.

People will feel the need to change constantly. As it stands pvpers can choose the best PvP talents while raiders and high level M+ players won’t. This will give them a chance against people who out gear them in the arena. If you let people swap every pull in the raid it is just another pain to deal with.

Don’t worry. Raiders will be ok. You’ll be ok. We’ll all be ok.

At this point they will not change it. If they ever did change it it would be as a final thing in 9.3 where they just throw out all balance and give everyone a FFA.

Then that is a them problem. I’d they don’t want to change they don’t have to

Yea we will just all have less fun because we will all get to use 25% of the cool new spells blizz has added

3 Likes

This is a you problem. You can’t constantly change, whether you want to or not.

You can’t freely swap classes, even if you’re not optimal for specific content. Do you feel like you’re having less fun because you’re denied all those spells and abilities?

It looks like Ion and Blizzard have decided moving forward RPG elements will be more of a thing in WoW. WoW moved away from a lot of those elements over the years and the population has never been worse. Is it a direct correlation? No it could be multiple reasons for that. That said Ion seems to want to take this game back closer to its roots rather than continuing this ridiculous load-out method we have where people change for every encounter if they are not optimal. I think this is a move in the right direction for sure and pre-orders seem to support this line of thought.

You have pre-orders numbers?

1 Like

Yes you can.

I swap to my mage - I pick up where I left off.

I swap to my hunter - I pick up where I left off.

I swap to my lock - I pick up where I left off.

In NONE of those swaps did I have to go through some punitive time-gate quest to be able to play as the class I swapped to. I simply pick up where I left off.

This is what people are asking for in terms of covenants.

1 Like

Blizzard released some info, I do not remember exact wording but it was along the lines of “most pre-order sales to date of any expansion”. Now that is open to interpretation as is why potentially such as the mount, transmog set, etc. Either way it is safe to say the pre-order has not gone poorly so we will see.