Played since Warcraft 1, and I am fatigued from this faction conflict

I used to loathe the horde. Still kinda do, but all this faction conflict over and over and over and over has taken its toll. I’m ready to rest. Let’s see what else Azeroth has to explore. What other planets/dimensions are there. I don’t even care about Kalimdor. You can have it

I’ll get back to you all on my feelings on Lordaeron later…

10 Likes

I feel you brother.

BFA’s stupid faction war doesn’t make me hate the Alliance, I don’t hate Sylvanas, I just hate Blizzard.

36 Likes

I think this is where a lot of us have ended up.

29 Likes

Sure I’d be all up to end the war after night elves got their revenge.

1 Like

Imagine if you could just get tired of real world politics faction conflict.

You people crying about the faction conflict are delusional if anything there should be more factions not none of them.

1 Like

Samesies.

The whole thing just makes me hate Blizzard’s current writers more than Sylvanas. She’s fictional (which people seem to forget sometimes with how they react, myself included). They are the ones that decided putting one of the most fantastical parts of WoW to the literal torch would be great for shock value, and then took the Undercity along for the ride. (Favorite Horde race in Vanilla was undead, too.)

And the modern writers actually said they thought they could tell the faction war story better than MoP’s writers did which is why they’re re-treading it, which just feels insanely egotistical. If they were the writers during MoP and they’re now going, “We think we can tell it again but better”, fine, but it’s a different team with different writing leads.

I’m tired of all of it.

Edit:

Oh, I’m sorry. I forgot that WoW wasn’t a video game that we play for fun and enjoyment. It’s a real-life obligation that we are locked into and forced to endure.
/s

Also, no one said anything about there being “no factions”, so that’s just flat-out irrelevant to the thread.

7 Likes

I’ll say it.

Lets have no factions!

It is more of a hindrance to the story and overall game now than anything else, and most other big MMOs have already moved past them in terms of gameplay.

11 Likes

Did they really say that? If so that’s really really embarassing

But that would mean that all races intermingle like nothing happened before.

There is just too much bad blood between both sides to reasonably explain why a forsaken player can waltz into ironforge and not get shot at.

It would make about as much sense as Sylvanas nuking her own city, reanimating her own soldiers, and being overall really dumb and anti-Horde yet still having support. We’re past having that sort of logic in the game.

Besides, you’d obviously have to do a dwarf rep grind.

3 Likes

I have been very tired of the faction conflict for a while, but I’m not sure that completely dissolving them is a good idea. I think you’d lose too much player/racial identity in that way.

I’d rather that they just retire this whole “Put the war back in Warcraft hurhurhur” thing for the foreseeable future. Focus on building up the characters, and the internal faction politics and conflicts overtime so that people have bigger connections with the characters on their side. That’ll also help dial back the story from dealing with constant world-ending threats.

Then if the story actually calls for it and it would do something to advance the narrative, you can have them go to war in way that gives both factions some justification for their actions.

That’s how I would handle it at least. But we’ll see what direction Blizzard pulls the reins I guess.

3 Likes

As a more serious response, the way I would prefer to see them handle some sort of faction dissolution or rearrangement is to do something a bit more along the lines of the Elder Scrolls Online.

Multiple factions with their own themes and core racial memberships but not hard-coded requirements so that there can be movement and cooperation in between.

The other night I was giving it some casual thought based on recent lore events and considered splitting all the races and factions into 3, 4, or 5 smaller groupings.

The Night Elves, Tauren, etc could form a more nature-focused faction based on protecting Azeroth itself since so much has gone down. Orcs, Trolls, etc could form a more solid core-Horde group for survival and going back to their routes. Humans, Lightforged, Draenei, etc could make an Army of the Light. Undead and co can be death focused. Idk.

Options.

1 Like

Not in those exact words, but that was the gist of it. Here’s the exact quote:

“If you look at the stuff with Garrosh, the result of that really didn’t make the Horde look at themselves and question, ‘What do we stand for? Where are we going?’ So with Battle for Azeroth, let’s look at those things."

They said that the previous faction conflict didn’t make the Horde question itself enough, or in the way they felt was the right way, so they wanted to re-open the faction war so that they could get that aspect in. Which boils down to saying that they thought they could write it better than the previous writers.

8 Likes

Gee i guess you hordies had a swell time playing warchief roulette and invading your own home for kicks that you wanted to re do the faction war again /s.

srs now, im so tired i dont care if they use timetravel as a cop out but that would be expecting too much, i dont blame 2 much the writers, they can do good, some of this zones have interesting quests and lore, its the faction war story that kills this expansion for me, i blame someone more UP on the hierarchy of decision making.

2 Likes

already way ahead of you on that one dude.

Faction conflict in WoW is basically Horde attacks alliance, Alliance tries to retaliate with some small measure of success, but then greater threat emerges forcing the factions to work together, corrupt warchief is corrupt and needs to be taken down by Alliance and rebel Horde, peace agreement. Rince, Repeat, Reload, etc, etc, Ad Nauseam.

Would be fun to see Alliance be the aggressors for a change, give them the chance to sucker punch the Horde and Horde get pissed, Alliance having some kind of internal strife dealing with corrupt so and so who instigated it all. Just basically above, but in reverse.

That’s to say if they ever do faction conflict again, and if they don’t, it wouldn’t break my heart.

Yeah sounds about right… it’s not a compelling faction conflict.

1 Like

So yes… I’ve made threads myself about this. I hate the ham-fisted faction conflict too. It’s stupid. But there’s things now that prevent it. Ask any hardcore night elf player if they’re for the dissolution of the faction barrier at this point. Hell, we have one poster here that can’t stop making new threads that say the same thing over and over again about the night elves not getting proper revenge.

It boils down to this. You and Bob just fought together in a war. You’d had differences in the past, but you overcame them because the war was a big deal. Huge even. Then that war ended. You and Bob are on better terms than you’ve ever been.

Then Bob came over to your house, nailed your wife, shot your dog, and burned everything around you down. Would you wanna be bob’s friend after that?

Nah man, you’d want revenge. Maybe in the form of a badass cinematic and a lot of badass build up. But then all you get is to punch bob in the leg. It even hurts him… a little. You wanna go burn his house down, but the writers tell you no… that charlie horse you gave him was your revenge, you’re not part of the story anymore.

When I think about it that way, I kinda get it. I’d be pretty PO’d at Bob, and not want to be friends with him at all.

1 Like

My god. what the hell did i just read?

1 Like

I want the faction barrier dissolved.

2 Likes