Play whatever you want

Outside the tryhard guilds, raid leaders are looking for someone who can show up consistently and follow instructions. The dps checks on bosses can be hit by all dps classes. Yall have fun and don’t let the forum trolls discourage you.

5 Likes

Questionable advice from a man with questionable drink choices…

:milk_glass:

2 Likes

Hi, tryhard raid leader here, yeah it’s a good sentiment - invite the player, not the class. With that being said, the dps checks that push limits aren’t until later AQ40 and Naxx anyway. Here’s a bit of math to consider - Ragnaros has 1.1m health, this means if you have 27 damage dealers in your raid, they must do 227DPS to kill him before he emerges in 3 minutes.

Some of the better Lv.40 DPS in the beta are clearing that amount btw, if that helps with perspective - so yeah, play what you want and play it well.

5 Likes

I want to play a melee Warlock that uses a Firestone.

1 Like

I’m not going to sink literally a year off my life to be trash tier bottom barrel dps and get stomped in PvP. If I wanted to cut years off my life for nothing I’d take up smoking. I’m going mage and wrecking nubs.

1 Like

Ele shaman, and crit chicken are gonna make u rage quit in bg’s lol have fun.

Back in my day we just called Balance Druids OOMkins.

1 Like

oomkin for raid, they were def called critchickens in pvp.

I can go play seven xpacs where mage is OP AF cuz blizzard is biased. no way, I’m going back to my shaman glory days. Prepare to get dleeted with my windfury procs.

But what i want?

I actually never heard crit chicken until post-Vanilla.

OOMkin, Doom Chicken, or Laser Chicken were the terms I saw most used on my server =P

How is no one ever called it MoonKing? I make this mistake in spelling all the time, cause in easily autocontinues with -ing end

moonking will be the one running around with no pants on.

2 Likes

I may be in error, but wasn’t that sentiment brought to the foreground in Mists, and generally reviled by players when they actually got it?*

Not to mention, IIRC there are plenty of fights, particularly in naxx, that mandate having one or two players of specific classes onboard for certain abilities (ie, mind control the death kights). You gotta bring the player that plays THAT class sometimes.

I get that the raid group as a whole is all but guaranteed to have the classes even if it’s totally random, being a large group with only 8 classes to choose from, but as it forms it can still end up excluding perfectly competent players because the raid already has enough X’s and needs more Y’s.

*Personally I liked that raid buffing scheme, but my preferences here aren’t the point.

Bring the Player started in TBC but was realized in Wrath when they began the homogonization of Raid Buffs and PvP balance.

Ah, OK. Timing was off. I remember hearing the sentiment in BC but a lot of that was down to less restrictive encounter design. Due to real life I wasn’t able to raid wrath or even pay much attention, and missed basically all of cataclysm too, so my first real interaction with it was Mists. Thanks for clearing that up.

NP, it was my job to build out Raid Comps in TBC, and I absolutely hated what they did in Wrath, to the point of it (and the Heroic/10 man stuff) driving me out of the game.

I certainly miss tbc and hated homogenization of raid buffs.

I think meta specs matter more for casuals.

Pugs will absolutely laugh off any hybrid dps because why risk it when dps are in plethora?

Progressing with a more casual/bad guild in raids after MC that dps boost is going to matter a lot more.

As far as bring the player not the class I dont like the idea of everyone being able to do everything. I just don’t think everyone knows how much a pain in the butt it is to get a steady 40 man roster consistent every week with specific classes. With the exception of tryhard guilds. Raid leads will be happy to find anyone who will show up on the reg and be able to follow lead orders.