Physical authenticator

So ive had the in hand physical authenticator since they came out, But now i cant make groups in LFG unless i have app one? or am i missing something

2 Likes

You should be able to, just with out custom text.

2 Likes

No it doesnt let me put a title or anything

From what I’ve seen you may need to also set up Blizzard Phone Notifications, which will also unlock additional backpack slots.

One other user seemed to resolve the issue by removing the Authenticator and adding it back. If the issue persists, please post in the Bug Report forums so our QA team can investigate.

6 Likes

Just for clarification, is it intended that the physical authenticator is not sufficient to list a group at all? Like I don’t need custom text, I just want to list a key period. But the button won’t enable without a title and can’t enter any title without a phone authenticator. I have the physical one. I would be happy if I could just list the key and let the tool generate an automatic title.

Not looking to suggest any features just trying to understand if I should report the inability to list a group at all (cannot do so at all) with a physical authenticator as a bug or not.

EDIT: So I don’t know how I fixed it, but now I am able to list a group without custom text. Either I missed a hotfix being applied or just me switching to the custom menu and viewing groups there and then going back to the dungeons menu that fixed the button. It is now enabled without the message saying it needs a title. So weird! Either way it looks like it is possible to list a group with just the physical authenticator.

2 Likes

The thing is these won’t last forever. They stopped making them three years ago, and the batteries will only hang on so long. If at all possible, you should make strides into switching over to the mobile authentication. I don’t get why people are so crazed about hanging onto the fob if they are able to go mobile, but these features were not just suddenly dropped into people’s laps today. They set the requirements to make groups to try and quell the illegal sales in the LFG. There are casualties of a sort for some folks who are legitimately just wanting to run groups, but in the long run this will hopefully make it much easier to sort through groups once these kinks are addressed.

4 Likes

no everyone owns a cell phone. this is absurd to even have this, i paid for my Authenticator you can change the batteries. who ever thought this was a good idea is out of his mind. theres no need for it to be in place, i am unable to queue for dungeons also thanks for wasting players time and our money

6 Likes

If I recall correctly, you can’t. I believe it self destructs when opened.

7 Likes

ive change the batteries in 1 of the 3 i own

1 Like

Good to know. I’m on by second authenticator for one account, and by third for another account.

Yeah this is likely the issue.

I cannot use Blizzard Phone Notifications as I have VoIP number and Blizzard will not accept that as a valid number. I have had the mobile authenticator tied to my account for years now, and I am unable to edit the LFG info. I have tried to remove and re-attach my authenticator but it still will not let me edit the LFG fields. If I use the preset options, it displays the text in Spanish for some reason. I am not going to switch phone service just to be able to edit in game text fields, I would rather just stop playing.

2 Likes

There should be a language setting in your account management. I think that might help. As for the requirement for Group Finder, I don’t see Blizzard budging on this.

2 Likes

If you live in the United States and income is an issue, our government will give you one for free. You’ll get a semi-current (couple years old) smartphone with unlimited minutes and a generous data cap considering the service and phone are free:

https://www.fcc.gov/general/lifeline-program-low-income-consumers

3 Likes

Setting up the Auth App now requires linking it to SMS Protect so you need a valid contract phone number registered in your country noted on the account.

It won’t take most pre-paid numbers, VOIP, etc.

3 Likes

Ahh, gotcha. Thanks for the info. I’ve edited my previous post 'cause in this case, with no smartphone present at all for an initial installation, an emulator won’t help.

Right. So even if you have a phone, it might still not be compatible with the Authenticator App.

Blizzard definitely needs a solution to the App requirement and needs to unlock in game features until it has a solution everyone can use.

I’m not saying people can’t use the app, but there needs to be optional alternatives except “too bad”.

1 Like

again, not really a feature more of a courtesy and people abused it. You are not locked out of the group finder.

3 Likes

I didn’t. Why am I being punished for the scamming carry sellers that Blizz supports with it’s tokens because they make lots of cash?

I’m just asking for an additional authentication option that I am able to use.

Also, if it’s not really a game feature, instead of locking it behind some BS putting my group listings at a disadvantage, just remove the whole “non-feature” from the game. If it was being abused, NOBODY gets to use it.

2 Likes

Same reasons Blizzard curtailed the use of boxing software. The good it does out weighs the wants and needs of the few. Also Hyperbole doesn’t help your argument.

5 Likes