Like many others have mentioned on these forums, I think the current pet spec & talent system structure/design have certain flaws which are limiting to the player experience. I’m not saying that there’s a perfect design that fits all, but I wanted to touch on the subject, and provide some visuals/suggestions for a way we could go with it in the future.
Below is an image of a concept talent tree which can be imported into the program TalentTreeManager(TTM), and then used as any common talent calculator.
Code to import into TTM: https://pastebin.com/L8JCeF70
The base idea is that they should remove Pet Specializations, how they currently work. They should replace them with a talent tree which is accessible in the same space as the current interface.
- They should stick with the idea that certain pets are tied to a particular specialization(Ferocity/Tenacity/Cunning), but without the current restrictions we have where pets are completely locked in.
- Any pet tamed should come with a Basic Ability(Bite, Claw, or Smack) appropriate for its family type, along with potential flavor abilities. Certain Exotic pets currently also have bonus abilities, which they should keep.
- With the new design, a Ferocity pet for example will get the tree visible above here, and will have the Primal Rage talent(ability) preselected, for free.
- Like with class talent trees, you would then be able to spend talent points on any of the available talents in the tree, including the other two in the top row which are typically associated with pet types which are not tied to Ferocity. If you instead tame a Tenacity pet, that pet would then have the talent Fortitude of the Bear preselected, instead of Primal Rage, while still having access to the same talent tree.
- In addition to the preselected talent, the idea is that you should have 12 talent points to spend on other talents. As far as I know, the program doesn’t support a function to alter how many talent points you have in total, so you could technically spend more than 12 points, but that wouldn’t be the intent.
For anyone who prefers not to download the program and import the concept, you have tooltips for all talents below here. As shown in the image above, going from top to bottom.
Instant - 6 min cooldown
Increases haste by 30% for all party and raid members for 40 sec.
Allies receiving this effect will become Sated and unable to benefit from Primal Rage or similar effects again for 10 min.
Fortitude of the Bear
Instant - 2 min cooldown
Increase the maximum health of you and your pet by 20% for 10 sec, and instantly heals you for that amount.
Instant - 45 sec cooldown
Your pet removes all root and movement impairing effects from itself and a friendly target, and grants immunity to all such effects for 4 sec.
You and your pet gain 10% Leech.
You and your pet gain 5% increased maximum health.
You and your pet gain 8% increased movement speed.
Improved Primal Rage
When Primal Rage is activated outside of instanced content, you and your pet will not be affected by the Sated effect. Also increases the base duration of Primal Rage by 10 sec.
Reduces the damage your pet takes from area of effect attacks by an additional 80%. Reduces the range at which enemies detect your pet.
Improved Master’s Call
Increases the duration of the effect provided by Master’s Call by 2 sec. Reduces the base cooldown of Master’s call by 5 sec.
Increases your pet’s movement speed by 30%.
Instant - 20 sec cooldown
Increases your pet’s movement speed by 80% for 10 sec.
When falling below 40% health, the pet takes 60% reduced incoming damage for 15 sec.
This effect can only occur once every 120 sec.
Increases the base Focus of your pet by 10, and passive Focus regeneration rate by 15%.
Instant - 1 min cooldown
Reducing damage taken by the pet by 50% for 12 sec.
Instant - 1.5 min cooldown
Increases the pet’s chance to dodge attacks by 30% for 20 sec.
Reduces the Focus cost of your pet’s Bite, Claw or Smack ability by 5, and reduces the base cooldown by 1 sec.
When your pet’s Bite, Claw or Smack ability deals damage, you and your pet deal 2% increased damage for 10 sec, stacking up to two times.
Blood of the Rhino
The pet gains 10% additional armor and increases the effectiveness of healing received by 20%.
[Choice] Mortal Wounds/Slow**
Instant - 6 sec cooldown
Infecting the target with Mortal Wounds.
Grievously wounds the target, reducing the effectiveness of any healing received for 10 sec.
Instant - 10 sec cooldown
Slows target movement speed by 50% for 6 sec.
Reduces all magical damage taken by your pet by 5/10%.
Reduces the duration of all stun and movement impairing effects on your pet by 10/20%.
Lick Your Wounds
Instant - 3 min cooldown
Your pet heals itself for 100% of its health over 3 sec.
Functions like a heal-over-time effect, not channeled like in the old days.
When falling below 30% health, your pet gains 25% increased damage for 5 sec, and cannot be critically hit for the duration. Can only occur once every 60 sec.
Heart of the Wild
When your pet dies, it will miraculously return to life with full health.
Can only occur once every 8 min.
Instant - 12 min cooldown
Your pet runs at high speed towards a friendly target group or raid member, intercepting the next direct attack made against them within 3 sec. 100% of the damage will be taken by your pet, instead of the target.
Warning! This could kill your pet.
*Defense - Which ability that shows up here depends on what type of pet you have active. Some examples are
- Boars get Bristle as their choice
- Mechanicals get Defense Matrix as their choice
- Core Hounds get Obsidian Skin as their choice
*Dodge - Which ability that shows up here depends on what type of pet you have active. Some examples are
- Foxes get Agile Reflexes as their choice
- Serpents get Serpent’s Swiftness as their choice
- Dragonhawks get Dragon’s Guile as their choice
**Mortal Wounds - Which ability that shows up here depends on what type of pet you have active. Some examples are
- Hyenas get Infected Bite as their choice
- Scorpids get Deadly Sting as their choice
- Carrion Birds get Bloody Screech as their choice
**Slow - Which ability that shows up here depends on what type of pet you have active. Some examples are
- Basilisks get Petrifying Gaze as their choice
- Chimaeras get Frost Breath as their choice
- Crabs get Pin as their choice
In short, no matter which pet you have, there will be a choice here for an appropriate ability.