Pet management

I think pet assist may be bugged, among other things dealing with Unholy dk.

This problem is at its worse in HoA. I’m doing everything I can for pet management and falling far short. Noticed my pets pull; mainly the skulker. I’ve put my pets on assist and it doesn’t seem to help. Gone as far as facing away from pack before they’re pulled by the tank, with no enemies in my view, the skulker will still pull a pack out of my sight. Sometimes the skulker goes after non-targeted. All my melee and spells have at least 1 macro to [pet] target=target and do something (naw, claw, huddle). Long as my pet(s) are out they should be doing something to the target and nothing if no target. The skulker still will pull on its own.

Worse is Dark Transformation. Same macros, if a target dies and Dark Transformation is still up, the ghoul will charge something. Sometimes the closest non-targeted, sometimes a distant non-target. When the latter happens, the ghoul will pull everything in-between its target. This too still happens when there’s no enemies in my field of view.

To my knowledge and asking around theirs nothing more I can do to manage this issue other than not play, HoA or otherwise.

I’d also like for pets to follow my path, and not go the long way around. Having to dismiss in most cases is undesired dps downtime. While I’m here, being able to name my pets would be nice.

To get a little ahead of the comments- I’ve tested out the possibility I may be pressing keys unconsciously. Right before a target dies I remove my hands from keyboard.

2 Likes

I’ve actually encountered some strange things happening as well with my ghoul during dark transformation. During raids when I’ve noticed the most when the boss and adds (sun king, for example) are moving around my ghoul sometimes would just sit in one spot doing nothing. I have /petattack macros and even Leap & Gnaw as a macro as well. It will then proceed move after dt ends.

There are time when I thought that maybe leap is on cd and that my minion maybe too far, but it wasn’t the case. Just yesterday I decided to jump into lfr and do a wing and that is where I really did confirm 100% that dt causes my minion to bug out and often stop functioning at random moments. I used leap to get my ghoul to get to the boss faster, but the chain from unholy pact would just trail to the other side of the room where my ghoul in just doing nothing at all.

It’s hard to say what it is exactly :thinking:

Is it dt itself? Is it unholy pact? I notice the minion strafe a lot for the chain so maybe it’s a weird interaction with the ai trying to do it, but can’t due to my positioning? Is it because of it being on assist? I’ve only seen these things happen with it on assist.

2 Likes

Hey.

Same. Didn’t say anything about about it becuase my post was long enough as is and not my biggest concern. This pet management issue has caused whipped, then everyone is mad at me. I expect to be able to do 15’s in 2-4 weeks and can’t have this happen. With luck, I can overcome the issue in 10’s #armyofthedead. Still an issue that shouldn’t exist.

1 Like

There are a lot more glaring issues with Unholy and surprisingly they’re still strong.

-cough- Necrotic Strike applying DD -cough- Necrotic Strike and mobs dying with FW working with Convocation of the Dead conduit -cough-

3 Likes

What are your thoughts using Lingering Plague 200- virulent plague lasts 3 sec longer and damage +14%.

I chose that conduit because I can use other spells/melee and avoid using a GC for Virulent Plague

As Unholy? It really depends. Even how buggy the Convocation of the Dead can be, it’s still a good conduit.

Eternal Hunger is too good to pass on. Everything else is really up to you based on the situation. I like Withering Ground Conduit with Defile.

On my Venthyr DK, she also uses the Covvy Conduit too when she needs a consistent AoE damage.

VP conduit and SDDC conduit are kinda meh but who knows, maybe they may shine a light someday.

1 Like

Are you currently using any petattack macros or similar? There are issues when using these and accidentally hitting the button after you lose your target.

1 Like

I am still using them :cold_sweat:

I had this problem also. Made me so mad I switched back to frost. Yes I use macros. As you should imo.
After so many accidental pulls your guild mates get mad in mythical and raids. Glad it isn’t just me.

As I typed, I’ve tested that possibility by removing my hands from keyboard just before the last target dies. In addition made sure there is no enemies in my view.

That’s really odd, haven’t experienced that personally.

1 Like

It still might be those with the issue doing something that we don’t realize we’re doing. Only thing I know for certain is I’m doing everything I can to avoid the problem.

Never had this once, interesting.

maybe some issue with using crtl for something and accidently hitting crtl 1 which makes pets attack a target?

I can’t fathom this happening, never happened once so far.

My binds aren’t standard. I use an mmo mouse and have less than 24 buttons for melee/spells. If it isn’t directly on the mouse, all I have to do is press alt; unless it’s death and decay. Then it’s by default on player or ctrl for mouse over.

This issue became obvious when a player had to go do something real quick so we were just standing around. My skulker turns and looks at an enemy and fires his bow. My hands weren’t on my keys.

Its a very interesting claim, I just cant believe I havent experienced this bug yet.

I created a macro and everything to put on passive after pulls. Still didn’t work. It seems if close to a not pulled mob it would just jump to next one. Best example I have is the two trash before shrekwing. Our raid would kill them and the pet jumped to boss. I wasn’t targeting him or anything. Worse in dungeons.

I too have experienced my pet during unholy transformation just chilling doing nothing even though I clearly am attacking someone and the pet is on assist.

Also yes, skulker is the worst. Just yesterday I was in SOA backing away from a pat route to see my skulker was still where we backed away from and
it pulled pats. We died.

So a fellow guild member is a solid unholy dk. He says he doesn’t have this pet issue. Guild tearing me. New one cause of this skulker issue. It was recommended I change talent to pustules, but that didn’t work. The only solution is to not use All serve. It is killing my dps, but to a point; no amount of dps from the skulker is worth killing a key due to it pulling. I will say, the ghoul is slightly better behaved but still doesn’t 100% solve the problem that shouldn’t exist.

Blizzard, for the love of all that’s Unholy, in the mean time you are hopefully attempting to solve this issue, give unholy DKs a buff to make up the difference. Infact that isn’t a bad idea. Buff us with a new talent in place of All Will Serve. Idk, maybe call it “Night Skulker” that buffs our mastery or versatility to the value of the skulker dps. Yeah. Appearance of a black or Electric Mucus color fog like the purple thing priests have.

Addendum- the coveate of the following is I think it depends on secondary stats and this is on dummies.

To help deal with the skulker issue, I went with Clawing Shadows. It is more than a K dps less than skulker for ST, but for AOE is better. Since this skulker is mainly a dungeon issue, and no amount of unholy dk dps is going to make up for it pulling; try Clawing Shadows. Holding my breath the skulker alternative I suggested happens or they solve this pet issue.

If you try Clawing Shadows please reply with your thoughts and results.

I still use Skulker in raid, other than on Denathrius, and it works fine for me there. However, Skulker is basically a raid talent. In keys you are better off using Infected Claws or Clawing Shadows. I use Clawing Shadows all the time in a keys and its really good. It makes your D&D cleave more flexible and generally stronger than when you have the Skulker.

1 Like

So. Doing a Necrotic Wake key and things went a little sideways. The ghoul while in Dark Transformation decided to sprint into mobs. Yeah, the key was broken. Good news it was my key. To keep this short, my Pet Assist button was removed. Going into pet abilities I noticed there was one called ‘Stay’. I kb to my DPI button on my mouse; still have to make an ‘if’ statement to have it also work for follow.

This is only a band-aid solution to me. Everytime the pet decides to do its own thing, I’m stunned. With out know for absolute certain what happened, maybe I did click on an NPC that wasn’t in my field of view, idk. Wish I did. While I love unholy DK, unless I roll a new toon I’m working towards going frost. Unless someone reply requires a response from or I have a new idea, I’m done with this thread. Thank You all who respond and read the posts.