Personal top PS2 games

Don’t worry, i’m not gonna write a manafesto of how great PS2 games are and go into painful detail how awesome each one is. I just won’t guarantee that i will sacrifice the week to our lord and savior Cthulhu for thinking the PS2 is anything but life. Hey, i follow Satan on twitter, give me some slack, okay?

This isn’t from best to worst, it’s just me listing off my personal list of top PS2 games in no speficed number or order here so… :kissing:

The Sims Games
  1. The Sims 2 Castaway: If you love the Sims 2, and love survival games, this will be a match made in heaven, especially since it plays a bit like a thrid person game with you moving the sim about. I’ved loved the PC version (Though mind you, it’s different), and loved the PS2 version even more. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2. Urbz, The Sims in the City: I personally didn’t care much for The Sims 1 PS2 port, it’s fine but… it’s the console port so, meh. But Bustin Out was pretty good. However, this one pretty much tops the 3 with some engaging careers (for a console port that is) for a Sims game and pretty much drenched in bling culture as well a few others for good measure. Honestly missed this era in gaming. Before fun became illegal in video games when next gen came out… :unamused:

Cableas Dangerous Hunts games.
  1. Cableas Dangerous Hunts: Honestly, it’s a great generation for hunting games, but i’m putting this here since it’s one of the hunting games that feels pretty dang immersive and kind of tactical in a way, while being simple to get into (Not to be confused with easy difficulty mind you). And a good variety of animals to boot helps. (Since most of the hunting games are just are kind of deer focused)

2. Cableas Dangerous Hunts 2: 'K it’s no hunting game, but i like to consider this as Story Mode DLC for the first game. Plus it has unique locations for the series, as well a unique roster of animals. And believe it or not, actually kind of scary if not, tense. Seriously, that one sound that plays throughout the game, it’s the second most scariest sting, next to the burgerly stinger in The Sims 1.

The Getaway

Odd duck, but it’s brilliance lies in how the gameplay adapted to compensate for the lack of UI and how the story is a pretty great ride to be on though and though, as well being in a realistically rendered (For the time) london. If you love modern playstation exclusives, this will be a trip.

Ed Edd n Eddy The Mis-Edventures

Being a massive fan of Ed Edd n Eddy, The Mis-Eventures holds a special place in my heart, despite being wicked short and… admittedly not all that good as my nostigla would have it, it’s still a fun enough game with the characters you’re familiar with in the familiar Peach Creek. Though i didn’t remember it being so trash ridden and worn down tho. I love it. :+1: Kind of nostalgic in a way.

Scooby Doo Unmasked

Of coarse it would be remiss of me to mention A2M’s better game here, pretty much doing everything better then EEnE here, even working in a little clue minigame to unlock the next level. Scooby Doo is great too, even though i’m not a massive fan of him.

Harry Potter games
  1. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secerts:
  1. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: Okay in all seriousness, Prisoner of Azkaban is actually better then Chamber of Secerts in every possible aspect. Especially since you can bring Ron and Hermione to whatever Harry is up too with their unique spells and with pretty great puzzle solving. It just doesn’t have that awesome bit of soundtrack by Jeremy Soule.

Spyro Enter the Dragonfly

Oh lord, i mentioned soundtracks, have i? Look, i’m not gonna tell you to go play it. I personally like it over A Hero’s Tail simply for the fact it’s still Spyro. I still understand the hate for the game. What i can tell you is simply listen to the soundtrack, and the soundtrack that wasn’t even released. Mr. FO1 on YouTube has these unreleased soundtracks from the composers. Seriously, this may be Steward Copeland’s second best work on a Spyro game, this time with him working with Kenneth Burgomaster and Peter Neff.

Jaws Unleashed

Not exactly a great game per say, but for a “So bad, it’s good” game, especially since it kind of kicked off the Shark eating people genre of video games. Or as i like to call them, “Shark-likes”. A Definite keeper if you’re a fan of something like that, or played Maneater. And does have a better story then Jaws 3d and Revenge.

Driv3r

Another “So bad, it’s good” game, as well sadly another that’s been rushed out the door. This game is honestly a ton of fun to screw around in Free-Ride with cheats. Onfoot controls don’t feel too bad since it feels like an FPS, and the driving is still solid with it’s pretty real feeling physics. And the Car destruction? Chef kiss.

Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2

When it comes to BMX games on PS2, none is more memorable then this game. A bit janky, but still fun even today with it’s challenge list getting harder as you go on with that level. And arguably, better running and playing then Matt Hoffman’s Pro BMX 2.

Reel Fishing 3

Growing up, i played a bit of Championship Bass, didn’t care much for it outside of driving the boat around. So this game being on the PS2, i’ve grabed it, and i loved the relaxing atmosphere and how i got engrossed into into the fishing, as well feeding and looking at the fishies, and having my own dog. It’s a Tragedy that this never got remade. :frowning:

Pac-Man World 2

I love me some Pac-Man every now and then, and this platformer nails it pretty decently. The remake of the first game is agruebly better, but this one still good too. Especially since you can earn tokens to play those dope arcade games. (Pac-Attack and Pac-Mania)

Tony Hawk Games
  1. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3: Despite the fact being a better playing Pro Skater 2, it surprisingly holds up despite being limited in tricks like future games. The introduction of Reverts changed the game drastically, as well 60fps (Which is a MUST for Tony Hawk), and the locale’s and goals aren’t bad either. It’s also pretty replayable what with different skaters with different goals, and different unlocks. You can play this game for years and never be bored.

2. **Tony Hawk’s Underground 1, 2 and American Wasteland: ** Coarse let’s be real, these games here are goated Tony Hawk games. And for good reason, they have walking, you get to see more awesome locations, you get so many tricks it bloats the game and it’s awesome, it’s still fun, and best of off, their stories is actually genuinely amazing and memorable, if not, simply fun. THAW being my personal favorite, followed second by Underground and Underground 2.

HM: Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4: It’s a fine enough game, but it definally feels like a prototype for Underground…

Rockstar Games
  1. Red Dead Revolver: So back before Red Dead Redemption, where everything has to be realistic…:roll_eyes: We have this pretty awesome spaghetti western game that actually plays more like Max payne without the shootdodging, now thinking about it…, on the system we all love, and from a publisher we all know, Capcom! Nah just kidding, it’s Rockstar. :laughing: Seriously, under rated gem. And this also needs a PC port.

2. Midnight Club 3 remix: Continuing the Rockstar trend and also in dire need of needing a PC Port, here we have their best attempt of a racing game they sadly discontinued. The variety of cars and soundtrack is awesome, and the story (Well, what they have to call a story) is pretty good. Kind of difficult, but ehh. Why the hell they discontinued this franchise, is anybody’s guess. :frowning:

3. GTA Vice City stories: Oh look, another awesome Rockstar game that also needs a PC port. Look, imma be real with you, as iconic and awesome Vice City was, this just nearly tops it imo. Not because there’s swimming (Thank GOD), but the story is hella fun, the 80’s vibe is so intense, it’s practically blinding, there’s empire building, and honestly, vic vance is an underrated gta protag. Even tho Rockstar butchered the continuity a lot of times.

4. GTA Vice City: Oh fine. I’l add it here too. Honestly, it being more playable then 3 on PS2 is the only reason why it’s here… And it’s my first introduction to GTA so… fine. It’s completely playable on PC (Classic version), but it would be remiss of me not to give this a spot on here.

5. GTA Liberty City stories: Oh, another excellent R* that needs a PC port. I’m only putting this here, because it really goes to highlight Rockstar’s excellent writing. Seriously, they can write a better mafia story then Mafia ever could. Else, it’s just a fine enough GTA with all the usual GTA stuff we love, minus the Swimming. (AGRUGH)

6. GTA 3: You know what? screw it. This GTA is one of the kind here, where it offers a beefy challenge with you forcing yourself to memorize it’s map layout and etc, to make the most of the open nature of this sandbox and bringing it to it’s limits, and how the lack of urgency gives it an oddly relaxing albeit gloomy vibe, despite the fact you’re bolting across liberty city, trying not to get blown up. This game popularized open worlds. And it simply became the Dark Souls of GTA games. Outside of GTA 2 and 1.

7. Bully (Canem Canis Edit): No, i don’t count Scholarship Edition. You can keep your crappy christmas missions. Give me the orgrinal on PC. It really feels like this is better then GTA for it’s lightheartedness with a bit of darker undertone. The Writing is pretty sharp as always, the openworld of Bullworth is a joy to explore, the gameplay has some depth to it that GTA doesn’t have, and it did the impossible; making you playing as a school kid needing to go to school, fun. It’s also surprisingly unpolished at times, but that’s understandalbe given rockstar was pumping games left, right and center back then.

8. GTA San Andreas: ♫ Welcome to the Jungle, we got fun and games, we got everything you want, honey we know the name… ♫ I don’t need to explain this why this is here, Y’all know it, i know it, and if you don’t, what rock you are hiding under, so i can blow it up, drag you out under it and plant you infront of a PS2 with this game on there? It’s peak GTA, and still always will be, even if GTA 6 ever comes out. Tis the truth since it’s still better then GTA 5. :man_shrugging: … Sadly, it’s the only playable version of GTA SA that exists. Sure, GTA SA classic on PC is awesome with mods, but man… Rockstar done these ports so dang dirty.

Anyways, that’s my list, let me hear yours. :slight_smile:

1 Like

been considering mine as well just so many good games on the ps2

Resident Evil 2
dino crisis
Final Fantasy X/x2
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
WWE SmackDown! Here Comes the Pain
Onimusha: Warlords
need for speed hot pursuit
Gran Turismo 4
Devil May Cry

1 Like

Been a long time but I used to play
Final Fantasy 7
Kingsfield 1 and 2

1 Like

Dark Cloud 2 is still my favorite game of all time. Also the only PS2 game I still physically own.

1 Like