Perferred method of reading books

I read most of my books on the kindle app for my ipad. It is very convenient. I can get a new book at 2am from million of choices if I am so inclined. The convenience and large selection is making a book worm like shout for joy.

I also use calibre, nook and ibooks. Looking up an unfamiliar phrase or word you just simply put your finger on it and you can google , wiki or define it.

The only time I read physical books if it is a text or reference work. I don’t like large books heavily footnoted
in electronic form.

I do miss used book stores with the narrow aisles and tons of books crammed in to a small space . Sadly they no longer exist for the most part (with a few exceptions).

What are your preferred methods ?

I like hard copies. It’s easy for me to highlight, underline, and dog-ear key sections. I also like having them around my house on shelves once I’ve read them. They are awesome decor, but I have to make sure I read them first or I feel embarrassed.

I used to use Nook but I had a first generation and it will no longer connect to BN store to download books. So now I am using Kindle Paperwhite. I LOVE it. I much prefer the ereader to reading books on my phone. The phone hurts my eyes after awhile.

I’m on the old fashioned side I guess. I only read hard copy books. Having an actual paper book in hand is just so much nicer of an experience to me. And they look wonderful on my shelves! Plus the added fun of going to book stores too, though I also order online.

I have nothing really against electronic books, but that route is just not for me.

1 Like

I only read paper books. I don’t have any problems with e-readers - I just don’t have enough money to buy one ^^’ (but i plan to buy one in the future).

I think paper books are beautiful, and i love the smell of a newly printed book. However, I also think there is a certain “fetichism” to this - many people love having shelves full of books, but there are also many people who don’t read the books they have and/or read low quality books.

Reading is an important habit, but I think it is important to think about what you are reading too. Books in general are a great way to obtain information and knowledge, but certain books aren’t part of that rule, especially if they are promoting fake news, for example.

I ended up rambling a bit. xD

1 Like

I love paper books as well and have bookshelves full of them. However, I find it uncomfortable to hold a book while reading in bed and they can be bulky to travel with. I’ve just found ereaders to be more convenient for me personally.

I like Audible for when I’m driving and Kindle for evenings. But for my favorite books and/or authors, I’ll buy a physical copy, whether hardback or softback. I like seeing them in my bookcase. I wonder if the author gets a bigger cut when I buy a physical copy vs a digital copy.

You can get a cheap android tablet for $35-$40 and download the nook and kindle apps from the Google Play Store for free. That’s what I did, although I do own a stand-alone Nook and Kindle. Then you can read nook and kindle ebooks on your tablet.

Kindle app on my tablet.

Thanks, but there are two issues:

1- I want a Kindle, because my problem with tablets is the screen. If i wanted, I could simply read using my cellphone or computer. But i hate those screens, because my eyes get tired too fast. It appears that Kindle screens are better for reading during a long period.

2-These devices are more expensive here in Brazil :X

That’s why I got my Kindle. I could read a book on my phone but I have a tendency to get a headache if I spend too much time reading on my phone screen. Doesn’t happen at all on the Kindle screen.

Have you looked into buying one of the refurbs? They are usually cheaper than the brand new ones and would still be easier on the eyes than the phone screen.

1 Like

paperback, on the toilet.

3 Likes

Physical books all the way for me. I tend to read while eating and the only way I can fall asleep is to be reading a book, if I spill on a $2-20 book it seems like less of a loss than if my cat knocks my coffee on a kindle

1 Like

I’ll take a look, thanks :3

It really depends.

Reference type reading, I need an actual copy. Allows me to highlight and mark important pages. Fiction I tend to read online or through an E-reader.

It depends.

I generally I prefer a physical tome of sorts.

Personally, for a 1000 page lengthy novel type thing - a physical book over an electronic device for sure. I have always had sensitive eyes with poor vision. I wear glasses more often than not.

A different person with no eye issues might find electronic devices easier to deal with and preferable.

Also - I have gone camping, hiking, and for long trips in the hinterlands. Internet access and battery life aren’t an issue with a book. Light can be an issue - but a flashlight, fire, or gas lamp is usually about.

1 Like